horsehide footwear contest thread

mikecch

Posted · Hidden by PeterParker, March 27, 2012 - wrong thread
Hidden by PeterParker, March 27, 2012 - wrong thread

Forgive my lack of a participation in this contest, but I have a horsehide/cordovan related question that perhaps you guys can answer:

Do you find the breathability of cordovan shoes/boots in hotter climates to be an issue?

The reason I ask is because I am moving from a cool climate to hot climate, and I don't want to bring boots with me that I won't wear if it's too hot. Is calfskin noticably more breathable than shell cordovan?

Anyone mind if I unofficially join in with my alden/j.crew color 8 captoe boots i just received? Pm'd mikecch but i noticed he hasn't posted in nearly 3 weeks. don't wanna step on any toes....pardon the pun.

Sup guys. Guess this counts as my contest entry: Brooklyn Bootworks Cobble Hill in Cordovan.

Nice to finally see a someone post a pair. I remember the chat about them when they were on sale a while back but there was no substance.

Any comments on the fit, quality of the leather, craftsmanship, etc.?

Nice to finally see a someone post a pair. I remember the chat about them when they were on sale a while back but there was no substance.

Any comments on the fit, quality of the leather, craftsmanship, etc.?

Sure. Build quality is great - they're well put together with no loose threads. I was impressed with how neatly the welt was done; all of the stitching is very precise.

Fit is good; it took a good week and a half of daily wear to break the shoes in, and they're pretty comfortable now that they're no longer chewing my heels up. They run slightly big for their marked size.

Comfort is good so far; the liners are really soft and the midsole is just starting to mold to my feet.

I'm not sure what to think yet about the leather quality. I haven't called it shell because it's from a European tannery rather than Horween, who uses the term exclusively for their cordovan. It's got a smooth, waxy feel and tight grain, but if you look at the pictures I've posted, you'll see wrinkles by the stress points up close rather than the more typical waves. I'm really interested in seeing how they'll look in a few months; they're getting the most use right now of all my shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you'. I did also get the heel lowered 1/4". I'm really liking how they look in person. Ray was the one who encouraged me to try some sort of two tone on the boots, I'm glad I did.

It is amazing how much difference a last can make. Very similar make-up, eyelets vs. speedhooks, pull tab, does J. Crew have a close heel?

I think the Trubalance last resembles a military last, unlike the Barrie which is dressier. The "repro" look of the jumpers appeals to me, something about the nostalgia of a military officer shining up his boots before a date with a broad (reference to The Pacific), which is something that the J. Crew captoes lack.