map :: amsterdam :: centrum1

sufu1

- Club/restaurant/cafe 11 opened in may 2004 (Oosterdokskade)

- In the same building that houses 11, you can find W139 (gallery) and ofcourse the Stedelijk Museum (until 2006)

- Inez IPSC has gone bankrupt last month

- Soy, a new bar, opened on the corner of Vijzelstraat and Reguliersdwarsstraat last summer

- Stereo Sushi changed its name to Stereo after complete overhaul

- If you list Lime (Zeedijk) you should list Zilt (same street) as well! Same type of bar.

- Mappa (Nes), modern Italian cuisine right next to Harkema

- Opposite 2PR you will find Tom's Skateshop, definitely worth a visit

- If you list Episode (W'looplein), might as well list BIS! (St. Antoniebreestraat) and Zipper (Nieuwe Hoogstraat) for second hand fashion

I'll post some more later.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Next to Cafe De Buurvrouw, you will find De Diepte. A cafe with a night permit. Used to be a semi-secret trashy rock bar. Although it lost its infamous character (punk concerts, beer flying around and bar fights), it is now quite popular among all sorts of late nighters (DJ's, artists, musicians) and still a bit underground. Meeting point among the Amsterdam incrowd during week days when everything else is closed.

Almost on the corner of Rembrandtplein and Utrechtsestraat (where Lellebel is located on the map), a new club will open in a few months, called The Rain. Not really sure what kind of audience it will cater to, but I expect the crowd to be similar to that of The Mansion. To be continued.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't find Soy (new bar on the corner of Vijzelstraat - Reguliersdwarsstraat). It should be where the letters 'nn' in Hennes & Mauritz are on the map. :-)

• 9 months later...

Alright, time for an update.. :)

Some new spots on the Zeedijk as it this area seems to be going for another revival:

1. Kenkichi - a local designer (Kevin Hiraki) selling his own work and that of other independent designers. The shop is located in between Zilt and Bird. Rumour has it that he will be opening a second store in Milan soon.

2. ??? - Next to Kenkichi, a store will open soon featuring Turkish interior design stuff. Stay tuned for details.. :)

3. Armin Haute Couture - Opposite Kenkichi, another Dutch designer is opening his own store. He used to work for some of the big names in the Dutch fashion industry.

On Rembrandtplein, next to Escape, a club called Studio 80 has opened its doors in the former VPRO radio studios (hence the name). Currently a hotspot.

Some other spots worth mentioning: We Cut Heads not only does haircuts, but hosts art exhibitions and organise parties on various locations. They are located halfway between the Blauwbrug and Mr. Visserplein, opposite Stopera. Halfway down Utrechtstestraat, you'll find Kinki Kappers who are considered the authorities of hairstyle in Amsterdam. A few doors down from Kinki is Concerto, the main address for rare and second hand music.

Edited by Tisswat on Dec 1, 2005 at 08:27 AM