Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

Slightly interesting bit of information for Levi's STF nuts on this ebay listing, they're clearly women's jeans, although it's not mentioned in the listing, 5 buttons on the fly and some weird/wide looking hips, but there is some interesting advice inside the waist...

$T2eC16VHJGYFFkt3ej3tBSP8FUWu5!~~60_3.JP

Wash 'N Tumble Dry 3 Times. 3 TIMES!!!!!!!

Try telling that to some folks around here. :D :D :D

Edited by 501XX4EVER

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some pics of my STFs after a couple months of being worn almost exclusively at work:

2POHTO2.jpg

sp8CA1B.jpg

These are tag size 31 but I could have gone down to a 30.  Their sizing recommendations are, IMO, totally wacky.  I'm about a 32" waist and would have been swimming in these had I bought these in a size 33.

Yeah, their sizing recommendations are absolutely bogus.  I go TTS in the waist and +2" in the inseam.  I am rotating three STF right now, will post some pics once they get interesting.  Looking good.

wore these for about 8 months solid

one soak, one sea wash, one hurricane soak (tied them to a pole during hurricane sandy) and one machine wash

lighting kinda sucks, but color is fairly accurate

Pre final wash

wpn5Il.jpg

2lDiFl.jpg

for some reason two circles formed over my right knee

Here are my 2 pair of STF's

No idea of washes or time on these. They have been beat up and beat down and now I only pull them out for special occasions.

4RrM2jh.jpg

5EVELNR.jpg

This is my newest pair of STF's and I like these, I sized down one from my prior STFs and really like the fit, they are more slim fit.

Fit pic shooting on Valentines day this year.

pzKBRXD.jpg

Both pairs are just fantastic.  Nice work.

I don't even recognize shotguns anymore unless they are 18" and propped up against my couch.

Slightly interesting bit of information for Levi's STF nuts on this ebay listing, they're clearly women's jeans, although it's not mentioned in the listing, 5 buttons on the fly and some weird/wide looking hips, but there is some interesting advice inside the waist...

$T2eC16VHJGYFFkt3ej3tBSP8FUWu5!~~60_3.JP

Wash 'N Tumble Dry 3 Times. 3 TIMES!!!!!!!

Try telling that to some folks around here. :D :D :D

Nice one!  I remember spotting that patch on ebay and posting it in one of the mynudies stf contest threads.  Wow, I still think about the winning pair from the second contest.  The lap on her jeans was out of this world.  Incredible pair.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a pair of black STF in my normal size and treated them to the same hot soak I've given my indigo STFs, and they shrunk way more in the waist than the indigo pairs.  Stretching them has been a real bitch.  Just a heads up for anyone considering rocking a black pair in their normal size, you might have to size up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Been almost 2 years since i got these. Since they were too big, I used them as my hiking jeans. Lots of room to stretch in! Never washed but got them soaked a few times in the rain. And few times I had to take them in the tub and scub off all the mud.

5znm82.jpg

m76n4h.jpg

I just bought a pair on last Monday and took my tape measure to the store and what not to figure out how these things were sized.

For what it's worth my pair of 33's started at 18" and shrank to 16" Stretched back to 17.5" now.

I bought the new pair of Roys today because I've had the itch for a while and I found it quite curious how similar the two jeans are on paper.

Both when rinsed should have a 12" rise, 33" waist, 9" knee, 8.25" leg opening, and ~12.5" thigh.  I'll have to see how the upper block fits when they come in but on paper it's almost like he cut up some new 501s and made his patterns from them. 

I have to share some pics of the winner in the 2010 mynudies stf contest.  She killed it...her pair was just over the top.  It's good to see people are still into the 501 stf.  Not everyone can drop hundreds of dollars on an interest they're not even sure they'll enjoy.  I'm a big supporter of the low buck raw jean and just look at these.  

keetner's pair:

5405779657_140dfb373d_z.jpg

5405893841_197478f20f_z.jpg

5406395478_0e94412f73_z.jpg

I don't even know if she's still around or into denim anymore.  Hopefully she'll catch her pics getting linked and come take some credit.  Looking at that pair, it boggles the mind to think of the potential!

I could tell just by glancing at the waistband that theres no way I could button it all the way up. I used my tried and true waist stretch method that I previously did with my nudies.

501stfstretch.jpg

Ok I was just perusing the first few pages of this thread, and this blew my mind.   figured I'd bump the thread with it.

• 1 month later...

So given all that's happened in this thread with all the varieties of quality with the different selvedge 501stfs, Should I go buy the regular ones from a few years back off of Rakuten for ~$100, or just wait till some 501z LVCs go on sale? (I'm looking for a slimmer fit) 

Nice to see someone else is as OCD about Levi's as me. I'll bet the 1980's ones are the best fit, the ones I have are anyway.

I just love Levi's  :D from jeans to belts, jackets etc...hahaha! The best fit is the modern STF...the 80's STF was a hand-me-down so it wasn't actually my size (2 size bigger but I could still wear it though during the summer), that's the reason why it doesn't have that much fades. The selvedge is the most comfortable though (and the fastest to get fades, probably the denim is from a Japan mill, not sure though)

Certainly up to a couple of years ago, all the raw 501 denim was still Cone, Ring/OE, and most of the other denim was Cone, too.  They only started using other sources for the non-raw fairly recently. I can't remember about the selvage ones, if I ever knew.

I got my first pair in june 1985 and my friend told me to wash them 8 times in a row and thats what I did so they shrinked a lot but still baggy for my taste at the time as I had levis orange tab with zipper fly. 501s came with metalic color buttons but my friends were cooper and heavier.

I