So what's with cellphones in Europe ?

eric2019

Correct me if I'm wrong but according to my sister (she spent a summer there and gave me her cell phone), I can only use it within the UK and wouldn't work in the rest of Europe. Going over other websites I found out that they all operate on the same frequency in that part of the world so what gives ?

Do I need to buy a chip for the other countries ? BTW : it's one of the pay-as-you-go phones where you buy chips at local shops to boost up minutes.

oy !

e

-----------------------------------------------

It's not LA, it's Hell-A !

• 2 weeks later...

i suggest going to ebay and typing in "gsm phone unlocked". buying an unlocked phone will save you trying to find someone to unlock it for you in your local area. for example, here in manhattan you can get phones unlocked at literally any cell phone store in chinatown. once unlocked you'll be able to use any carrier you like. the uk, france and italy have pay-as-you-go type sim cards that can be bought at any local tobbacco/newsagent type shop. just pop the sim card of whatever country you're in, and it will work.