Buzz Rickson

partytaco

anyone have experience wearing in a pair of buzz ricksons. im suprised these aren't as popular or as talked about as the sugar canes. anyway i've had my 1942 lee repros for about 4 months now and i'm just starting to wear them frequently and they seem to be fading pretty quick. if anyone has pictures of a pair of well worn buzz ricksons post them please.

i think all the Buzz Ricksons are. They have a color similar to my Jomons but that could just be because the Lees were always a different shade (kind of purplish) of blue than the Levis of that time. I've never seen any of the Levis/Ricksons for a comparison in the different Buzz Rickson Lee Levis models.

Yup, I own pair of BZ's. got them one-wash. They're not very well-broken in at all though because I cycle them, and they're heavy as fuck. 19oz heavy. They don't even hold wrinkles all that well. Yes, I used starch. This is some serious workwear shit. I'd need to be going to a construction gig every day to make a dent in these things. Or I'd have to be hurting them like Ryu hurts his jeans. Which will never happen because, while I am not a sedentary guy at all, just moving about the city as I do ain't going to break in shit, Ryu-style. I'm gonna go guerilla on them and start washing them more often. Last wash was back in February, I think.

When I think about owning those PBJ 100's I'm thinking, damn, they'll always look new. I'd have to wear them all the damn time. No let up. And even then, with no real change of lifestyle...

What's a denim-freak to do?

I'm ninety-three/

You're sixteen/

There is nothing more for you and I

Melvins

• 2 years later...

Buzz Rickson USN Chambray Shirt

Starting this week we'll be stocking Buzz Rickson in our online store, the fall line is being kicked off with this new shirt from the Fall 2008 season, the Buzz Rickson US Navy repro work shirt made of indigo chambray. A great fit just like what we'd normally expect out of the Buzz Rickson line along with amazing construction.

Every original and distinctive styling feature from the 1940's has been reproduced, including true, hard-wearing chambray fabric that beautifully fades to light blue with age, reinforced shoulder yoke, dark blue selvage edges, bakelite-style dish buttons, double-stitched seams for superior strength and even authentic labeling.

Available now in our online store and in-store:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78

IMG_0781-1-791294.jpg

IMG_0782-791372.JPG

IMG_0783-773002.JPG

IMG_0785-773086.JPG

Kiya,

By any chance do you have an estimate on when the Buzz Rickson peacoats will be in and also a price for them?

Thanks.

Late October.. price should be around $675...

• 1 month later...

Scoobersti, the jackets are in!

Buzz Rickson Navy Pea Coat - USN 1910's Model

Buzz Rickson has gone to great lengths to reproduce the perfect classic pea-coat...

The US Navy’s original pea-coat was fabricated from heavy, 32-ounce melton wool and, up until the late 1930’s, featured black bakelite buttons displaying an anchor surrounded by 13 stars; the 13 stars were derived from the original 13 states when the United States became an independent nation and broke its ties to England in 1776. The large-sized collar of the coat was designed to block strong ocean winds and the corduroy-lined side pockets helped thwart the numbing effect on hands from the biting winter seas. By the 1940’s, officer’s coats were redesisgned and the heavy melton wool was relegated only for the enlisted ranks’ pea coats and the 13-star buttons were changed to the fouled-anchor design still employed to this day.

Buzz Rickson takes it back to their favorite era of the pea coat, the 1910 style with all the classic stylings found on the original.

These pea coats are now available in-store and in our online store, reorders on Buzz Rickson products are not possible, therefore once gone, there will be no restocks:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=361

BR-0-765547.jpg

BR-0_01-765720.jpg

BR-0_05-718609.jpg

BR-0_04-701098.jpg

BR-0_02-701055.jpg

Not sure if it's mentioned here anywhere, but the name Buzz Rickson originates from a character in the 1962 movie The Way Lover. Captain Buzz Rickson is a pilot and played by Steve McQueen. I haven't seen Toyo documentation to support this, but I assume this is where they came up with the brandname.

...I'm sure someone else can ellaborate.

• 3 months later...

Hey Arnie, I bought the exact same items from Eastman before Christmas (and with the MrF CPO shirt we could be twins.. maybe we should bulk buy in the future :D

The watch cap has been a staple throughout the winter. The shirt has had quite a few washes now and shrunk a little - about half an inch in the chest and annoyingly in the arms making it just slightly too short, although I usual fold up the sleeves. I didn't think the colour had changed too much but comparing to a Real McCoys unworn USN chambray I have it has definately lightened.

Mine's a Large (15.5). I bought it at the same time as the Real McCoys one (via Lewis) so I could rotate them (although I haven't actually done this). Both virtually identical in size, colour, buttons, etc. except the RMC version has USN stenciling.

which size did you get in the cpo then?

and which size did you get in the trmc?

what is your chest size?

The Slub shirt breakdown...

BR Chambray - Large (16.5 neck -not 15.5 as I wrote above, doh)

RMC Chambray - Large - same as BR

MrF CPO - Also Large

My chest size is 40. I could probably have gotten away with a Medium in the chambrays except for the arms