Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Hey guys, 

So i've just gotten my pair of XX-005 from Denimio. (took a week to Australia!)

Here are the measurements:

size 33 XX-005 measurements

Pre-soak (soak @ hottest tap temperature)
Waist 44.5 CM - 17.5 inches (30)
Front Rise 27.5 10.82 inches
Back Rise 38.5 15.157 inches
Thigh 30.5 12.00 inches
Knee 22.5 8.858
Leg Opening 23 cm 9.055 inches
Inseam 93.5 cm 36.8 inches

I did a post-soak and here are the measurements.
Post-soak
Waist 43.5 cm
Front Rise 26.5
Back Rise 37
Thigh 30
Knee 22.5
Leg Opening 22.5
Inseam 89.5

I've worn them for a couple of hours now and here are the current measurements:
Waist 47 cm
Front Rise 26.5
Back Rise 39.5
Thigh 30.5
Knee 22.5

if you noticed, other than the waist, the denim didn't really shrink much. And has definitely stretched back out after some wear. My question is should i do another soak/machine wash to get out more shrink? I would like to get them hem soon so i am considering these things. Can i get some opinions please?

Also, what would you guys recommend to completely get shrinkage out?

Thank you!

Thanks mate!

I didn't toss em in the dryer though. haven't had good luck with the dryer i've got at home.

Well, they did shrink somemore overall. Which is exactly what i want since i want to get all the shrinkage out.

There's some leg twist as well which is an added bonus!

Pretty satisfied so far :)

Haha east side is the best! Anyways, i'll be returning to my home country, sunny singapore soon. So trying to get as much wear into these PBJs. 

@Jonaz I soaked them in the hottest possible tap water but only for about 40 mins. Then i did a second wash with the hottest possible tap water (as mentioned above) and they shrank even more.

Have worn them for the past day or so. Definitely stretched back out, past raw measurements to the point where i am already wearing a belt to hold them up.

Edited by jameslow23

Well shipment has arrived and I picked the wrong size unfortunately, it's raw, very tight and I can't button. I'm torn between sizing up one or two. Sizing up one is a waist of 29,5 raw (I'm 29,2") and add 65mm to the thigh and leg which seems fine if it goes back to raw measurements. On the other hand sizing up two would perhaps be more comfortable but a waist of 30,5" seems risky.

Beside that, the fabric is really (reeeaaaally) awesome !

Edited by Jonaz

I struggled with getting them to button at first when they first arrived. Got them to button in the end and it felt like they were gonna explode. Hot soaked them still because i really wanted to get all that shrinkage out. Anyways, after having them for the past 5 days, they've stretched to the point where i really need a belt to hold them up.

They're unsanforized. With washing they'll shrink everywhere. 2 inches in the waist, 3 in the inseam, 1/3 - 1/2 of an inch in the rise, thigh, knee and leg opening. So if you don't soak them at first washing in the future will be problematic. Also if you have ask this question and are unaware of the difference between sanforized ( apc, 3sixteens etc) and unsanforized stuff, I'd put money on the fact you ordered the wrong size. Check the one wash measurements on the site, if those are too small in the size your ordered, try and change your order to a larger size. 

They're unsanforized. With washing they'll shrink everywhere. 2 inches in the waist, 3 in the inseam, 1/3 - 1/2 of an inch in the rise, thigh, knee and leg opening. So if you don't soak them at first washing in the future will be problematic. Also if you have ask this question and are unaware of the difference between sanforized ( apc, 3sixteens etc) and unsanforized stuff, I'd put money on the fact you ordered the wrong size. Check the one wash measurements on the site, if those are too small in the size your ordered, try and change your order to a larger size. 

I know that they are unsanforized but after doing some research, many people say that the jeans will stretch back to it's original size in the waist. Even if you order the one wash measurement, they'll end up stretching back to the raw measurements from what I heard from many people. So again that leads me back to the question if it even matters if you soak it from the beginning or not. Besides the rise and inseam, i've been told by many that everything else will sretch back after a couple wears.

If you don't get all the shrink out with a wash or soaks before, the combs will reset when you finally do wash them. That might look weird.

Also it's good to keep in mind that it will only stretch in places that are met with stress. So inseam length, thighs, and calves won't let out, unless you specifically stand there and tug at them while wet again, 

Washing changes the fabric significantly in other ways that just shrinking. When they originally touch water it helps bring out a lot of character that wouldn't otherwise be present. And in terms of stretching, only the waist will stretch back out, everything else won't go back to what it was pre soak. The thighs might if you work at them and wear them while damp or something, but it's much better to have a pair that will fit close to how you want them to post soak and just be happy that they stretched out to whats comfortable and not rely on them stretching back out all the way just so they can fit. I learned this the hard way myself. 

Hmmm, I see. Thanks for the advice.

The reason why I wrote the last post was because according to this guy:

http://www.keithtio.com/pure-blue-japan-xx-011/

He sized down 2 from the raw and didn't give it a hot soak until the 5th month. The jeans still look great though, imo.

But anyways, can you guys tell me the difference between a cold wash and a hot wash? Or is there really no difference when it comes to affecting the jeans?

Read the comments at the bottom. He did pre soak them and he didn't actually size down. Sizing down corresponds to waist size not tag size. He has a 29 inch waist and bought a size 27, which pre soak has around a 29 inch waist. He actually went true to size which is fairly normal. Actually sizing down 2 on a pair of unsanforized is almost unheard of. 

Cold soak won't get all the shrinkage out. Hot soak will if you give it a bit of agitation too. Cold soaking only normally happens if hot soaking would make the jeans too small.

Edited by B-Sandy

I did the same thing with my pair too that I ordered. Im a true 31 and got a raw tag 29 so I went true to size.... Sooooooo im good right?

I guess i'll just give my pair a cold soak when get them. btw, thanks for all the info. really appreciate it.  :D

Edited by jpark

So for the one wash, are people seeing much shrinkage after a wash or hot soak? What about stretching from the one-wash pairs?

I am planning a trip to Japan on my way back to the US in a few months and want to buy a pair while I'm there. Not sure the best place to buy around Tokyo, either. 

It will reduce the shrinkage but it will still shrink more when you next wash. Try soaking with cooler water then try for size. That way you can soak again to get more out or not if you don't need any more shrinkage. Going forward try and use the same temperature to wash or soak to avoid further shrink. 

Oh and while I'm here in the PBJ thread....hurry up with the X013 restock  I'm dying to get some!!!