Sushi in NYC!

superTrash

- ----

Can anyone recommend some good sushi establishments in Manhattan or Brooklyn. In particular places downtown [s of 14th and n of Houston] or in Williamsburg or Greenpoint would be best.

I personally like Hedeh [57 Great Jones St] but I know there are many other great and even better places out there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

- ----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bond st, Blue Ribbon, Jewel Bako and Nobu are all great choices if you don't mind shelling out cash....Hasaki is another good East Village spot....lots of affordable East Village spots, some of my favorites: Friends Sushi, Ginger and Sanobe.

- ----

Thanks for all the info.

I've heard good things about Nobu and it's slightly more accessible Nobu Next Door. But can anyone suggest a sushi place slightly more affordable. i.e. Somewhere in the Moderate [$20-30] per person range?

Has anyone been to Miyako in Williamsburg?

Once again, thanks.

- ----

Miyako is very good and offers a decent amount of Korean dishes on their menu besides sushi.

Their sushi is always tasty and fresh, but their menu lacks originality when it comes to the kinds of rolls they offer. It's very basic stuff, but the quality of fish like i said is top notch.

Friend 2 on the corner of st. marks and A has very reasonable prices, very creative rolls, terrific presentation and good quality fish.

- ----

I've been to Zen before. It's not the best on atmosphere, but it made for a decent place to stop in for dinner when my friends and I were too tired to get all dressed up to go "out" to a nicer sushi joint.

I went to Aki on West Fourth Street last night. I've got to say, they have some of the most creative | bizzarre sushi roll combinations I've seen. Not a great place to dine in [it's buried half a level underground and tiny] but I give it points for originality.

Has anyone eaten at Miyagi on West Thirteenth between Sixth and Seventh I think?

God, I eat way too much raw fish.

- ----

Have you guys ever eaten at Teryaki Boy? That place is the bomb...not many things deserved to be called "the bomb" but this does...It's right up there with Masuri and Nobu. If you can't get a reservation just drop my name and you're set.

good luck //dave

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

Marumi, on La Guardia just north of Bleecker. Great inexpensive Sushi, and regular japanese food. Also Hasaki (3rd ave & East 9th) is not bad, that have nice daily specials.

Matsuri is fun, sit at the sushi bar (9th ave and 16th street in the Maritime Hotel). a bit more expensive, and more about the experience than the food.

kurumasushi is divine. it attracts people all the way from japan.

beforementioned bond, nobu, blue ribbon sushi, masa, matsui (maritime hotel) are all good, but not more - i'd make bond my pick amongst them.

a place noone mentioned yet is honmura an on greene st. they make great sushi besides soba noodles.

a "casual" option is Tomoe on Thompson (which is filled with NYU graduate students during lunch). fantastic.

Also - the izakaya chain En opened in NYC on room interior products' old lot on Hudson. they can't afford to heat the place properly so it's freezing - Nobu for the people on budget. tunnel & bridges warning.

well i do agree that nobu, bond, masa, matsui don't offer value for money as such -- especially when you're inclined towards orthodox and purist approach to sushi. i for one don't think think the sushi served at Daidaiya (tokyo) is a new renaissance some people claim it to be. in that case - kuruma zushi is the venue of your choice, if you can afford the bill...

on the more affordable tip.. I only have two reccomendations being a regular I would say Tomoe Sushi North of west Soho. But you got to go there pretty early to get a seat there, and sometimes a 1hr wait is expected of this place:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7109234/

The wait at Tomoe is what has me switching over to a resonable priced joint Sapporo East on 245 E 10th St. (1st Ave.); 212-260-1330

http://www.nyceats.net/eats/2004/01/sapporo_east.html

Apparently it is review somewhere in this site but I'm not sure.

newbie,

antonio via proxy

http://www.petitemort.org

sapporotuna.jpg

SAPPORO EAST'S CHUTORO

on the more affordable tip.. I only have two reccomendations being a regular I would say Tomoe Sushi north of Soho. But you got to go there pretty early to get a seat there, and sometimes a 1hr wait is expected of this place.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7109234/

The wait at Tomoe is what has me switching over to a resonable priced joint Sapporo East on 245 E 10th St. (1st Ave.); 212-260-1330

http://www.nyceats.net/eats/2004/01/sapporo_east.html

Apparently it is reviewed somewhere in this site but I'm not sure.

newbie,

antonio via proxy

http://www.petitemort.org

sapporotuna.jpg

SAPPORO EAST'S CHUTORO SELECTION

foto credits to: A Full Belly Photos http://nyc.blogs.com/photos/eats/

Edited by petiteproxy on Jan 9, 2006 at 10:03 AM

• 3 weeks later...

- ----

I went to Miyako in Williamsburg last week.

Very good sushi + korean food, the Unagi Don was to die for.

But, the atmosphere was crowded and very much lacking.

All in all it was a great meal.

If you go I suggest avoiding the sashimi, my boyfriend had it and it was kind of not bad, but not great at the same time.

But the Unagi Don was spectacular and much cheaper than at other restaurants in Manhattan.

- ----

Quote:

- ----

I went to Miyako in Williamsburg last week.

Very good sushi + korean food, the Unagi Don was to die for.

But, the atmosphere was crowded and very much lacking.

All in all it was a great meal.

If you go I suggest avoiding the sashimi, my boyfriend had it and it was kind of not bad, but not great at the same time.

But the Unagi Don was spectacular and much cheaper than at other restaurants in Manhattan.

- ----

--- Original message by superTrash on Feb 23, 2005 02:37 PM

---

You have to explain how the sushi can be good but the sashimi isn't. I don't get it...