hmm i'll check out some of the mission workshop stuff. looks affordable. Seems like Bagjack NXL is already in the 3rd arm ballpark which makes it seem less of a choice compared to acr anyway. Killspencer and lexdray just don't do it for me though. I think the lexdrays are made real nice, but still looks like every other messenger.

edit: I should also mention that I'm looking for something that looks like it has good support/stability and doesn't fling back and forth when walking, not flopping, etc

Edited by cure

hmm i'll check out some of the mission workshop stuff. looks affordable. Seems like Bagjack NXL is already in the 3rd arm ballpark which makes it seem less of a choice compared to acr anyway. Killspencer and lexdray just don't do it for me though. I think the lexdrays are made real nice, but still looks like every other messenger.

edit: I should also mention that I'm looking for something that looks like it has good support/stability and doesn't fling back and forth when walking, not flopping, etc

check out the côte et ciel techno backpack I posted a few pages back.

Edited by scamster

Thanks for the isaora heads up. I don't really need a new shell, but the geo panel pants/ geo panel shirts are pretty nice. debating whether to get it or not. the sleeve cuffs on the shirts throw me off a bit.

Edited by wahwho11

no worries. quite like the geo panel shirts but the cuffs do put me off. thinking about the geo panel pants but I think they're possibly a bit too slim for me but I really want the digital plaid button up and the merino tee.

if I go for those three the shipping they want to charge is $163.66. actually just for the tee shipping is $124.18. they must've got mixed up with london, dark side of the moon with the uk.

Edited by scamster

already wrote to marc that their overseas shipping is a rip off a year ago. maybe if more people reminds them:)

alll the pants suck compared to the good old street pants. not liking this isaora direction.

Edited by danii

I noticed that a lot of online stores in the states have excessive shipping prices, it almost seems that they don't want to ship outside of their boarders.

filson had a jacket that I wanted, a levis collab, shipping was $150 rang them to ask why? he just came out with a load of nonsense trying to justify the cost then asked if I was interested in making an order, told him he was a joker for charging that price when it would cost around $20. also why do we pay tax in the states then again when it reaches us in the eu? stores in eu take off the vat then the purchaser pays the vat for the usa when they get their stuff? so shouldn't stores in the usa do the same?

danii follow wahwho's link above they have the street pants on sale. wahwho (thanks for the link and crap missed the thermal hoodie) I hear you about the lack of details on the isaora site, they even measure chest size from shoulder to shoulder?!? another reason why I haven't purchased any of their stuff, really don't want to pay all that money to find out the fit is wrong.

I have to say that I find their direction interesting almost as if they're trying to be the damir doma/soloist of tech fabrics but still nodding to their snowboarding background or maybe I'm chatting out of my arse.

from next season ...

22.jpg

a little daft but that is probably why I like them but for reasons outlined above doubt I'll ever get them.

bought the geo pants. Would have bought the shirt if they had regular cuffs. The only reason i got them was because I was in the market for black jeans, and these had side pockets which i like. plus, i can probably return them easily since im in the us.

I noticed that a lot of online stores in the states have excessive shipping prices, it almost seems that they don't want to ship outside of their boarders.

filson had a jacket that I wanted, a levis collab, shipping was $150 rang them to ask why? he just came out with a load of nonsense trying to justify the cost then asked if I was interested in making an order, told him he was a joker for charging that price when it would cost around $20. also why do we pay tax in the states then again when it reaches us in the eu? stores in eu take off the vat then the purchaser pays the vat for the usa when they get their stuff? so shouldn't stores in the usa do the same?

that is why you use a proxy. so you can dodge european customs and not pay insane shipping prices

x-post with Vis FW12 thread, maybe some of you here knows :

i am quite ignorant regarding goretex technology, but to me it is not supposed to keep you warm but dry. I always wondered if adding several layers wont defeat the purpose of getting rid of the sweat ? I am sure it is even more wind and water proof from the outside. I also read that goretex tends to loose its properties with wear...maybe adding layers will allow to slow this ?

what is the main point adding several layers of gore-tex ?

EDIT :

Gore-Tex Pro Shell is a "3-Layer" product. The 3 layers are: 1-Outer "Shell" layer, generally a nylon of sorts. 2-Inner "Gore-Tex Pro Shell" waterproof/breathable membrane, and 3-Inner "liner" fabric, for Pro-Shell it's usually a product called Gore Micro Grid Backer or something similar meant to wick moisture away from your body and start the transfer process. All 3 of these layers are laminated into essentially 1 layer. So, even though it says it's a 3 layer, it feels like 1.

Gore-Tex Performance Shell is usually a "2-Layer" product. The 2 layers are: 1-Outer shell layer, and 2-Gore-Tex membrane laminated to the outer shell, Then there's a thin inner liner that not laminated to the outer/membrane layers.

Gore-Tex Paclite Shell is sometimes referred to as a 2.5 layer. It's got an outer shell layer that has a special Gore-Tex membrane laminated to it. The membrane in this case has been designed to be worn directly against your skin/clothes so an additional inner layer isn't needed.

Edited by emixam

redX I know but it should not be the case that you pay taxes twice, one for another country you do not live in and companies should not use your geographical location as a means for an extra revenue stream, trying to make customers pay exorbitant shipping fees just because you live outside of the usa. it's wrong and using proxies should not be the answer. if you ask me it's sheer greed.

i would give my fingernails (all of them) for an outlier anorak - i'm equally into either colour. just pulled the BIN trigger on an arcteryx alpha sl pullover though, anyone have experience with this jacket?

Outlier makes some really awesome shit and the anorak is no exception- yeah I owned one this winter, it was pretty sick but I wore it for backcountry skiing- ended up ripping about 10 inches along the pit zip pulling it over my head, fabric is ridiculously thin and will catch easily but weighs almost nothing. Should be a solid jacket for wearing around town.

Developing a real fondness for a new SHadow Project piece, the 40101

CATEGORY RESIST_ PEACOAT _ MOLESKIN-R 3L [bONDED CO MOLESKIN WITH KNIT HAND GAITERS ]

Check out the AW lookbook from the SI corporate site ( http://www.stoneisland-corporate.com/en/5719-stone-island-shadow-project-aw_012_013-lookbook/ )

Love it with the gaitors and modular scarf.

Edited by TEKsevenZERO

I was tossing around the idea of putting together some high-quality (don't we all?) waterproof breathable shells that operate somewhere in between your traditional performance purveyors (like your Arc'teryxs/The North Face/Patagonia/Mammut etc) and of course your more fashion driven lines (Acronym, White Mountaineering, visvim etc). There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there for people who simply want something with considered functionality that don't go hiking and climbing on the weekends. What sort of features would you want to see?

For me personally:

-something that would make it easier to carry a micro 4/3rds and larger camera within the shell

-easy access to transit pass/notebooks/pens

-more tailored fit but while trying to ensure proper movement when needed (this is obviously though as not all waterproof breathables have stretch)

-fit is a big issue for sure

-hoods vs. removable hoods vs. no hoods, tough to figure out since in a more stylistic setting, a hood defeats the purpose but then again it's necessary on a functional level.

-thumbholes in the sleeves? I like the added understated functionality

-weight? Something super lightweight or something that's the norm?

-price <$250 USD

The price seems low, but if you're able to go direct, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there for people who simply want something with considered functionality that don't go hiking and climbing on the weekends.

Not really sure that's true. In fact, there is an abundance of options for city dwellers desiring tech clothes, even within traditional mountaineering lines like Patagonia, etc. Not even mentioning Isaora or Outlier at this point.

I know you're located in Hong Kong but I still have a hard time believing you'll be able to hit a 250USD price point if the quality is any good. And I'm not sure how it works, but don't you have to license any third-party fabric, i.e. goretex, pertex, unless you can get ahold of something in-house that works just as well (not likely).

That being said, I'm always interested when someone wants to do something on superfuture (unless its slim fit grey v neck tees). It would be cool to see this.

- hood, high neck closure

- taped seams

- not super lightweight

- pockets for shit

- not a fishtail, but a longer rear than the front (WM does this)

Not really sure that's true. In fact, there is an abundance of options for city dwellers desiring tech clothes, even within traditional mountaineering lines like Patagonia, etc. Not even mentioning Isaora or Outlier at this point.

I know you're located in Hong Kong but I still have a hard time believing you'll be able to hit a 250USD price point if the quality is any good. And I'm not sure how it works, but don't you have to license any third-party fabric, i.e. goretex, pertex, unless you can get ahold of something in-house that works just as well (not likely).

That being said, I'm always interested when someone wants to do something on superfuture (unless its slim fit grey v neck tees). It would be cool to see this.

- hood, high neck closure

- taped seams

- not super lightweight

- pockets for shit

- not a fishtail, but a longer rear than the front (WM does this)

well, realistically Goretex is just a plastic compound woven a particular way. That being said, it can be duplicated, and perhaps already exists as a fabric available for wholesale. For that you have to research the chemistry of neo-fabrics and microfibers and insulated/breathable textiles or watever. I'm sure someone on here knows some crazy nylon variation that fits the bill. I think you can probably hit your mark (if not, then arouund it).

-hood, high neck closure and detachable

-mid-weight, like boiled wool weight

-tilted zips (think MMM motos)

-detachable lining (provides double the insulation)

-the length shouldn't go past your knees

kind of dipping into fantasymode here, but I've always wanted SOFTswitch or a waterproof control on the sleeve of my jacket so I don't have to take my phone out to take a call or change the song. Analog did an amazing piece years back with a full digital display in the arm, shit was rad, but prob too much $ for something like this. I imagine the softswitch wiring can't be terribly expensive, and would be killer to include.

burtonarm.jpg

other than that, echoing Dan from above:

- Taped/Welded seams

- Slightly longer rear to protect when you sit down

- Stormflap over the zipper would be clutch

there's research that goes into those technical fabrics, even the ripoff/off-brand ones require back engineering and some trial and error or some industrial theft, and then above all that, more specialized equipment investment, etc. That's why most of them get branded and sold under license, they stay pretty tight fisted about it. Gore-tex can be insanely hard to get if you're not splashing money at people. Good luck with it, I'd like to see a small maker pull off technical clothing.

Thanks for the comments... a lot of the envisoned $250 USD price point @ ~100 - 150 pieces comes through personal relations (factory/material sourcing). But additionally, if you go direct and cut out the wholesale model much like how dismalfuture & TOJ, Outlier etc has done, it makes it more realistic.

GORE-TEX won't be an option to start since as many know it's a material that requires a lot of testing (for the final product) and having an account. I spoke to a friend @ GORE EU, it's unrealistic that they'll be issuing any new accounts for such a small project since they don't have the manpower to ensure the quality is on point.

But that's not to say there aren't a lot of options out there outside of GORE. It would be nice to have an instantly recognizable name like GORE to have people pay attention (even if it's not necessarily the absolute best material for the actual piece), but I'm confident there are lots of options to play around with involving PERTEX and TORAY etc.

I'm waiting for LCDs to become a reality, imagine if you have a sleeve mounted LCD that is attached via Bluetooth to your phone, then you can check basic (and hopefully increasingly complex) functions without ever needing to whip out your phone.