Denim Repair

obsessis

So a couple weeks ago I bought this pretty f***ed up 1940's type 1 jacket from Spitalfields Market in London which fit me perfectly being a size 42 as a bit of a 'restoration project'.The price was right but i knew restoration can be a sensitive subject amongst collectors, infact people i asked gave me mixed opinions on whether or not to go ahead with this!

I happend to have some old early 60's fabric from some 501 cut offs that had a similar fade to the jacket so I knew I could get it pretty close... after buying a pair of early 50's XX cutoffs for 15 dollars on ebay for its single sided big E red tab and period correct top button, I took it to my local tailor with another type 1 I have as a referance and here are the results! I must stress before everyone gets mad at me that this is completely reversible!! Only regret (so far) is is that I sacrificed the correct thread colour to have the correct thread weight/thickness instead.

before

tumblr_lyxgomqKpz1qdfd7i.jpg

and after

tumblr_lyxgqhcob91qdfd7i.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_0719.jpg

just got these back from denim therapy. I am very pleased, had a pretty major tear along the seam. It's more noticeable in pictures, and not really noticeable at all when I'm wearing them, since it's mostly along the inner thigh. The fit is good but I'm worried the stress points might change, or new whiskers will develop. Oh well, makes them unique I guess :)

Can anyone tell me if the new, rewoven fabric breaks in, or will it stay so hard?

Edited by HGS

I think "darning" is the process, it's when they repair a hole or tear by reweaving new thread into the denim, rather than sewing a patch over it. This is a good video about it, from the dudes at Self Edge.

my 0500s button hole was in need of repair. took them to my grandma's and a few weeks later they were done

IMG_9762.jpg

initially she was going to just reinforce it in the back so it wouldnt be visible but she said that it was too hard to do that so she had to place some denim around it and make a new hole. also she couldnt make the new overlapping denim sit flush because the denim was too heavy so its not ideal, but it works and adds to the character (so i tell myself) also because of the weight of the denim she had to sew the new hole by hand because her machine wasnt producing the results she wanted

after

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

she also looked at the back pockets that i repaired last year and said it was a bad job so she ripped both pockets and reinforced them along with the hole that was there. she lined the back with a full strip of denim instead of just a patch around the hole as seen by the horizontal line along the back pocket

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

overall happy with the repairs and ill wear a belt so the button hole repair wont be visible most of the time anyway.

Edited by chantheman

• 3 weeks later...

I have little holes developing all over crotch. Wondering at what size i should wait to have it fixed. Afraid to wait to long but also dont want to pay $40 to fix a little hole...

my ass is running very thin on my warehouses. I'm afraid to wear them until i fix them, mostly because i ride my bike in them. I have hickory denim that i am planning to just plaster the backside with, should i just use the technique shown in snake's video? i need to suck as much life out of these badboys as possible before i can get a new pair--hopefully another pair of warehouses if Iron heart does not make the black slim fit ducks.... or maybe some MF if i'm feeling a little wild.