Acronym.

Westbrook

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.

I think I finally convinced myself to purchase my first Acronym piece. I read the last 50 pages or so of this thread but I would like so advice as I never spent this much money on 1 piece of clothing. 

I bought my Qasa's a couple months ago and it felt weird at the check out... but then you get used to it I guess...

The piece I am mostly looking at is the J36-GT, I am 180 and 85 Kg's (fairly big chest), is the XL too big? From what I saw, you can't read too much into the measurements from Acronym as some people go from S to L depending on the fit they like. I don't really see this jacket as something I would like to wear baggy.

I also really like the J23-CH but there is no more L/XL left, what "makes" this piece much cheaper than the rest of their outerwear?

And finally, are there ever sales on their webshop?  :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance! 

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.

I think I finally convinced myself to purchase my first Acronym piece. I read the last 50 pages or so of this thread but I would like so advice as I never spent this much money on 1 piece of clothing. 

I bought my Qasa's a couple months ago and it felt weird at the check out... but then you get used to it I guess...

The piece I am mostly looking at is the J36-GT, I am 180 and 85 Kg's (fairly big chest), is the XL too big? From what I saw, you can't read too much into the measurements from Acronym as some people go from S to L depending on the fit they like. I don't really see this jacket as something I would like to wear baggy.

I also really like the J23-CH but there is no more L/XL left, what "makes" this piece much cheaper than the rest of their outerwear?

And finally, are there ever sales on their webshop?  :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance! 

Hey Cookie Flow, welcome to the club!

Be aware that the J36 is an interops jacket, and that means the chest is larger than it might otherwise be for a 'tailored' fit jacket. Seeing as the XL is all that's left on Acronym's shop, that may be your only option. In my experience, the J36 has never appeared in the community sales thread

As for the difference in pricing between the J36-GT and J23-CH, it comes down to the textile it's made from. Gore-Tex is very expensive compared to other materials, and that's something you'll find across the entire market not just Acronym. Gore-Tex is a very thin, lightweight synthetic material with remarkable waterproof properties and toughness. Schoeller 3XDRY (what the J23 is made from) is a cotton-based blend that's thicker, more comfortable, and has a bit of stretch, while not having the same level of waterproofing or longevity as Gore-Tex. It is still water resistant. 

If you are interested in the J23, make sure you have a look at this older video demo (1:44). It shows how the jacket works in conjunction with a messenger bag, rather than with a back pack like the new pictures show.

Make sure you have a look through the sales thread by the way. You can find some older-season items at second-hand prices. Very helpful if you're on a budget, but you don't have the luxury of a simple return policy if you don't like the item. 

Thanks a lot for the detailed informations guys!

Really interesting to learn about the different fabrics and technologies!

I will pass on the XL J36-GT then, at 900€ I really don't want to make a mistake (even though you can return it...), I am looking to drop 3-5 kg also. But man that is one amazing design! Really never saw anything like this before.

S/S 15 should be out fairly soon I guess, it's probably a better idea to wait! Hopefully there will be pieces fairly similar to the J36-GT and J23-CH.

Seems really difficult to look at other brands once you discover Acronym, haha! I convinced myself to drop that much money on outerwear, but I am not ready to drop 500+€ on pants yet, even though they look amazing!

I wasn't going to say before, but I might as well chime in now. I'm about 185 and 85kg. I go for small or medium jackets. Small for sartorial fits, medium for interops. I wouldn't recommend XL at all. J23 in M should be a good fit.

Edited by Sypron

Now that FW-1415 has been out for a while, would anyone care to share their experiences with the new fabrics that were used? 

Are they even new fabrics, or are they just new names? 

The ones I'm referring to are 'HIGH-DENSITY GABARDINE' in place of Stotz, and 'INDUSTRIAL MICRO TWILL' in place of Schoeller. 

Now that FW-1415 has been out for a while, would anyone care to share their experiences with the new fabrics that were used? 

Are they even new fabrics, or are they just new names? 

The ones I'm referring to are 'HIGH-DENSITY GABARDINE' in place of Stotz, and 'INDUSTRIAL MICRO TWILL' in place of Schoeller. 

I handled the Garbadine at a store. I didn't have any Stotz to directly compare it to but from my cursorary examination I can't see a difference. The Garbadine is perhaps a thicker heavier weight but still feels to me like rebranded ventile.

I own a Industrial Micro Twill garment (J40-CH). I've previously owned the SS13 CH aka WB-400 Cotton (P13-CH) and the SS12/SS14 CH aka 3XDRY Cotton (SP9-CH). The Industrial Micro Twill is definitely something new, different from those two. I'm very intruged by the Industrial Micro Twill, I hope to see more of it in future SS collections.

By the way,  the FW1415 LP is different from the FW1314 LP. I handled the J1A-LP at a store and the face fabric is so smooth, reminds me of wool suiting. In comparison the J38-LP I own feels more like felted wool. They both share the same backer though. If the J1A-LP was available in a black colorway I would have insta-copped

Awesome info SuE, thanks!

How would you describe the Micro Twill fabric, as compared to other CH textiles?

I haven't put the fabric through hard-wearing conditions, I haven't worn it in more than a drizzle/light snow nor I have I tested the fire resistance (and don't plan too :P ) but it's held up well so far. It's not as warm or wind resistant as the other CH. The Micro Twill fabric doesn't feel like a softshell; it's closer to the cotton fabrics than to the CH textiles imo, perhaps a better balance of the two.

I've worn my J40-CH a lot since I got it.

It's not Nomex (someone explained what it was on this thread back in August, and how it differed from Nomex and it made sense), so yeah, could be Pyroshell.

- It's a bit warmer and more waterproof (because it's a heavier fabric) than earlier Schoeller Epic cotton shell jackets, but not earth-shatteringly so. It wets out fairly quickly, and dries quickly. I haven't washed mine or tumble-dried it.

- I think the colour has lightened a bit in a really nice way; the Epic black pieces I've owned have gone slightly brown over time (I'm talking years) and it hasn't looked good. The J40 is more blue-y (which it was to begin with anyway).

- I've been wearing a rucksack, and I've noticed that a point on each shoulder has become a bit shiny as a result (I'll grab some pics when the light's good). I don't know what would happen in the long term, and I'm not willing to find out, because I like the jacket far too much. It's just the way the seams are placed.

- The outside pocket zips are too small. No big deal.

- It fits me better (I'm 185cm / 70kg, wear an S) than anything I've ever bought off the peg

so I got my ACG stuff in, what's up with the leg seam twisting around to the front?  sort of the opposite of what I'd want.

Still trying to grok whether the backpack would be useful, it's fine but seems a little bit pricey vs actualized utility.  part of it is getting used to the idea of all the zippers being diagonal.

curious if anyone else has thoughts about their kit as I haven't seen anyone comment?

Edited by readytoignite

so I got my ACG stuff in, what's up with the leg seam twisting around to the front?  sort of the opposite of what I'd want.

Still trying to grok whether the backpack would be useful, it's fine but seems a little bit pricey vs actualized utility.  part of it is getting used to the idea of all the zippers being diagonal.

curious if anyone else has thoughts about their kit as I haven't seen anyone comment?

Most of the chat is in the Urban Techwear thread, as it's Nike stuff rather than Acronym.

Edited by phybron

Most of the chat is in the Urban Techwear thread, as it's Nike stuff rather than Acronym.

fair enough, tbh i think it's fair game for this thread but i'm sure it just evolved organically.  i stopped following that threak when it became the TAD / isaora endless loop so not sure much has changed?

btw nice ken ishii avi

Edited by readytoignite

SISP is expensive, has its own categorical rating for garments that leaves the impression it doesn't pair as well with other brands, and uses exotic or proprietary fabrics that aren't always tech. Everyone just assumes it's errolson's/stone island's side project/diffusion line instead of an innovative collaboration. There are actually more acrnm stockists, at the moment, than sisp stockists; moreover sisp doesn't get mid-season sales...

I think there are lots of dope shadow project pieces. I like the recent fw sisp sweaters a lot more more than then acrnm sweats. sisp had a gorgeous leather rider last summer that was a.) $3,000 b.) not weather resistant c.) $3,000 so I passed and ended up getting the J40 which has a lot more tech but doesn't look as good imo

D2RO3Ki.jpg

Edited by SuE