Streetwear/Skateboard Boutique demand in Houston or Dallas?

Nomadic

I started a thread before about trying to find an untapped market area for a Streetwear/Skateboard Boutique. I haven't found if there is anything like that in either Houston or Dallas. Do any shops of this nature exist in either of those cities? I know both cities have Fast Foward's in them, are there any independent smaller skate shops doing well and catering to a more adult market?

Thanks in advance, you guys were super helpful last time.

:: Damon ::

the closest thing in Houston is the Source or Soundwaves, but the Source is more just like core-skate, not really boutique-ish, and Soundwaves is like surf/music/skate... most of the older dudes are more on the don't-give-a-damn shredder tip, which is rad... then there's the Southside Park... your idea might work?...would be somewhat unique.

Edited by rhythmandsound on May 17, 2006 at 07:06 PM

Quote:

houston has premium goods in the rice district, dallas as PEGF which in my opinion is shiieeetttt. Adikt just opened too, no info on them. Austin is where its @. Motive807.com. check them out.

--- Original message by ZaulzComplete on May 18, 2006 01:13 PM

I have seen Motive807, and it is nice... I am wondering about just Houston and Dallas though. If the demand is in those two cities, and if independent skate shops are making it in those two cities..

If you were to plunk down a skate shop say in North Dallas, nright above the uptown area, you might have a good market, uptown has higher property values (so more expensive to open up) and that's why I say go a few blocks north of it. Uptown and some of the surrounding communities are partially gay neigborhoods and family neighborhoods, in a good financial place, so your main customer base would end up being kiddies with a credit card (nothing wrong with them). I dont know if that is your scene, but in the Dallas area, it is likely all you will find. Plus, in that area are also the couture shops in Dallas.

I am not 100% familiar with skate shops in Dallas, however, there is an extremely successful skate shop/park in Plano, so I would go too far north of Dallas, best to stick right around downtown.

Another good area might be the polar opposite, south, closer to the duncanville area, but ou will have more of a "ghetto" vibe in that area, because S.Dallas and NE Dallas, and NW Dallas are heavily gang populated.

Downtown prob. wouldn't be good, because it is just sooooo business.

As always, this is just my opinion on the layout of Dallas, all info comes from living there for most of my life.

Thank goodness I'm out in BFE now, which oddly enough, might be a decent market if your price point is right (we are talking no major frills cowboy lifestyle parents out here, but they dote on the kids). Our humble town has a population of about 800, there are about 350 kids in MS and HS here, and I'd say about 1/4 of them skate, all over the place. The other small towns in the are about the same. If you were to loate in Sherman or N. McKinney, not only would your building and other costs be lower, you are liable to get some awesome tax breaks because of all the incentives they are offering to bring businesses in an d"urbanize" the area.

I really hope this is what you were asking for, because it took me forever to type this. icon_smile.gif

Masochism at it's finest.

Houston: The Vans skate park closed. Southside Skatepark and The Source are owned by the same person-- I think he makes more money with the skatepark than with the store.

There is a lack of a streetwear/skate shop combination in Houston. There are the skate shops listed in the thread, and a few other smaller stores, but not a good combination of both a streetwear/skate shop that would targeted for an older customer. A Factory People http://factorypeople.com/ type store in Houston would be welcomed.

I think that there is a demand for a streetwear style store to open in Houston. The closest thing that Houston has is the Barneys Co-op that opened last month and Premium Goods mentioned earlier.

There have been few new boutiques in the Houston area that have opened recently but they all seem to cater to a trendy club crowd and they pretty much carry similar brands.

For example there are three or four retail locations that are owned by Michael Malik that cater to a club crowd, (m2m, jeans couture, and Lab 5). <--- Not recommended.

Edited by dilemma on May 18, 2006 at 09:45 PM

Quote:

If you were to plunk down a skate shop say in North Dallas, nright above the uptown area, you might have a good market, uptown has higher property values (so more expensive to open up) and that's why I say go a few blocks north of it. Uptown and some of the surrounding communities are partially gay neigborhoods and family neighborhoods, in a good financial place, so your main customer base would end up being kiddies with a credit card (nothing wrong with them). I dont know if that is your scene, but in the Dallas area, it is likely all you will find. Plus, in that area are also the couture shops in Dallas.

I am not 100% familiar with skate shops in Dallas, however, there is an extremely successful skate shop/park in Plano, so I would go too far north of Dallas, best to stick right around downtown.

Another good area might be the polar opposite, south, closer to the duncanville area, but ou will have more of a "ghetto" vibe in that area, because S.Dallas and NE Dallas, and NW Dallas are heavily gang populated.

Downtown prob. wouldn't be good, because it is just sooooo business.

As always, this is just my opinion on the layout of Dallas, all info comes from living there for most of my life.

Thank goodness I'm out in BFE now, which oddly enough, might be a decent market if your price point is right (we are talking no major frills cowboy lifestyle parents out here, but they dote on the kids). Our humble town has a population of about 800, there are about 350 kids in MS and HS here, and I'd say about 1/4 of them skate, all over the place. The other small towns in the are about the same. If you were to loate in Sherman or N. McKinney, not only would your building and other costs be lower, you are liable to get some awesome tax breaks because of all the incentives they are offering to bring businesses in an d"urbanize" the area.

I really hope this is what you were asking for, because it took me forever to type this. icon_smile.gif

--- Original message by keri on May 18, 2006 02:55 PM

Awesome reply and I really really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that! icon_smile_big.gif

The uptown area, is that around I think its called "Greenville"?? Where the Shopping center with Urban Outfitters is? What is the name of the skate shop in Plano?

What other small towns are in your area with similar 800K population sizes?

thanks again for the really informative reply!

800K? no no honey. 800 people in my town lol. including the cows: 3000. add horses, chicken, goats, etc: 4500.

Greenville is not close to Dallas, it is out east and north of dallas, about 1 hour away, It pretty much is referred to as north dallas. it is west of Casa Linda area.

there are two UO's in dallas, one in Northpark Mall, which is west of where I am talking about, and anther on Mocking bird (not sure of shopping center-had to look this one up) but that is south of where I am directing you.

And there are TONS of small towns arund me with similar population sizes, but if you mapquest Melissa, McKinney, or Anna, or Sherman Texas, you will get an idea of the alternative areas I wanted you to look in. They are all straight north on 75.

The Park/shop is called Eisenberg's. I remember the good ole days of Friday night punk bands and moshing. There is a skate park in Allen brand new, and is a city project. It does not have a shop, so a shop near it might also be a good idea.

Masochism at it's finest.

Quote:

800K? no no honey. 800 people in my town lol. including the cows: 3000. add horses, chicken, goats, etc: 4500.

Greenville is not close to Dallas, it is out east and north of dallas, about 1 hour away, It pretty much is referred to as north dallas. it is west of Casa Linda area.

there are two UO's in dallas, one in Northpark Mall, which is west of where I am talking about, and anther on Mocking bird (not sure of shopping center-had to look this one up) but that is south of where I am directing you.

And there are TONS of small towns arund me with similar population sizes, but if you mapquest Melissa, McKinney, or Anna, or Sherman Texas, you will get an idea of the alternative areas I wanted you to look in. They are all straight north on 75.

The Park/shop is called Eisenberg's. I remember the good ole days of Friday night punk bands and moshing. There is a skate park in Allen brand new, and is a city project. It does not have a shop, so a shop near it might also be a good idea.

--- Original message by keri on May 19, 2006 07:53 PM

Sorry about the confusion with population, lol...

I was thinking about the Mockingbird area, what is that area like as far as demographics and are there any independent skate shops around there? I am looking for something with a target market of 1M people..

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but isn't counter culture mostly vintage? I know in Arlington this skate shop called Innovation had it locked down tight, I got my first deck there 17 years ago, but who the fuck would want to live in Arlington besides desperate housewives? Dallas and Houston might be tappable, they are just so damn spread out. Do you have an ad budget?

http://www.arevolt.com

http://www.weeklydrop.com

Quote:

yeah but isn't counter culture mostly vintage? I know in Arlington this skate shop called Innovation had it locked down tight, I got my first deck there 17 years ago, but who the fuck would want to live in Arlington besides desperate housewives? Dallas and Houston might be tappable, they are just so damn spread out. Do you have an ad budget?

--- Original message by Proletariat on Jun 7, 2006 05:15 PM

$2K but I could stretch it to $4k if need be..

• 1 year later...
houston has premium goods in the rice district, dallas as PEGF which in my opinion is shiieeetttt. Adikt just opened too, no info on them. Austin is where its @. Motive807.com. check them out.

Time to resurrect this...

I stopped by Adikt today. Pretty cool shop. Lots of hoodies on sale. Cool owner. I believe the other two streetwear shops (mentioned earlier in this thread) in Dallas closed down, according to the owner of Adikt.