TORONTO

azad

I'm planning a long weekend trip either to MTL or Toronto sometime this summer, and I was wondering what the essentials are in terms of restaurants, museums, ill neighborhoods, shops, boutiques, places to stay, etc.

thanks in advance

toma açaí

The only reason I'd go to Toronto was to see my friends there. Other than that, Toronto has everything America has, but slightly more expensive. I know Queens Road has a lot of little shops and boutiques, so try that. There is no food that jumps to my mind that you have to eat.. other than the street hotdogs. I'm a fan of street food and I have to say Toronto has the best hot dogs, better than NYC. The price is about the same, but you get these big fat hot dog sausages. And they don't just let them sit in some boiled water. They use a mini grill to grill the hot dog and toast the bread. Plus you can get all the fixins you want. mmmMm :9

Queen Street West and the Distillery District are great for Bars, Restaurants and Boutiques. Really nice feel to them. World Class.

I know the Drake Hotel is a bit of a cliche, but I thought it was cool.

Otherwise I reckon Toronto is a little disappointing.

Both cities have a lot to offer. It just depends what your into.

Shop - Toronto

Food - Montreal but Toronto has a lot of amazing restaurants too

Parties - both

Museums - Toronto

Hotels - Montreal

Edited by aDj on May 19, 2006 at 01:09 PM

Personally, unless all you want to do is shop, I like Montreal better.

It has good food, some fine stores, better nightlife and it's a bit cheaper.

On the other hand, you might find stores more interesting in Toronto depending on your tastes.

I agreee, TO has the edge on shopping. I think food wise, they're tied overall, depends what you like I guess. TO has some great Italian spots...

The strip bars in Montreal are the truth! Hit Rue St. Catherine... You might consider MTL during the F1 race weekend, late June I think. Hotels jack the prices, but the whole city parties for 3-4 days - great atmosphere - oh ya, you have to try some poutine.

Have fun!

both cities are quite nice but very different at the same time. like someone mentioned, Toronto is just like any other big North American city (probably one of the nicest one though) while Montreal definetely have a european flavor. Montreal is the festival city and during the summer, there's always one going on and the atmostphere is quite nice. The jazz festival is probably the best IMO and it's at the end of june, beggining of july. Montreal is retarded when it comes to good shopping, for a city this size, there is really nothing good. and it'a the north american capital of euro-thrash so be prepare to see tons of Diesel, Energie etc. TO on the other hand have some really nice spot, good city for shopping. problem is with the value of the canadian dollar right now, everything will be much more expensive than in the states so i'm not sure you should base your trip around shopping. TO also got very nice museums, much nicer than montreal.

Now when it comes to food, i believe Montreal got the upper hand although TO got it's fair share of good restaurant. about nightlife though, i would say Montreal is much much better than Toronto. The MTL nightlife is one of the best in North America and have one of the biggest concentration of bars and club.