natural versus synthetic indigo

john11f

i wish i could bring myself to buy some of these naturals. ive handled some sams, 45rpms, and SDAs and theyre gorgeous. but, honestly, the shit is expensive. its l just dont see the value add of doubling the cost of jeans that are already quite pricey.

not like i'm rolling on dough, but [at the time] 'twas a need to have them even if it meant selling a kidney.;)

brownmetallic, you've inspired me.
brownmetalic, yours have held up way better than mine. See my posts in the samurai thread about how mine basically fell apart.

tnx. to start with, the denim was ultra stiff & laden with starch__ it'd be like operating a machine [or doing the deed ;)] without lube:eek:. i dint want to double wash. so, i had no choice, but to slow down & take it easy with the break in process.

now, that they've soften up tremendously [ei, only minimum residual starch left in the yarns] and i'm done with the contest FCs, they're taking center stage & will be put on overdrive.

• 1 year later...

So after being referred to this thread after asking a question in the small questions thread, I must say this tread is an absolute must for any/all denim fans, thanks for all that contributed. After experimenting with fermenting natural indigo dye baths and realizing how hard it is to actually retain color post wash ive been thinking about the processes in which both natural chunk indigo and synthetic indigo are made and used in the denim industry overall. Maybe someone could shed some light on this topic for me. Specifically how are synthetic indigo's made and what is the quality/cost difference between synthetic indigo's used by say, Levi vs The Flat Head. Thanks in advance.

-d

• 10 months later...