usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

You can make reservations same day. Or use opentable.com if you're of one those current generation of kids who only text\twitter and incapable of human interaction on the phone.

Del Posto for lunch is pretty amazing.

i don't drink. i'll have a night to myself on saturday because my friend won't be back till midnight. what can i do to past the time after 10pm? i was thinking about dicing around times square and the huge forever 21.

Drum and Bass, techno, dubstep, house, that kind of shit.
Satellite Records, Halcyon (in brooklyn), A-1 Records, Vinyl Market, Academy LP's, Bleecker Street Records, Gimme Gimme Records.

Check out A1 and Academy early in the day for used stuff. Satellite and Halcyon for new releases.

currently going through dozens of threads with regards to restaurants in new york, but i was curious if anybody here has some places they could suggest.

places for dinner in nyc? staying pretty close to central park...budget as high as 150 usd per person but would like to try places from the low to high end of the limit...thanks!

eleven madison park - 3 course is 88, but it ends up being like a 6 course with all the freebies they toss in. Lunch is an even better deal at 29

Kajitsu - 4 course is 50, the 8 course is 70

Del Posto the lunch 3 course plus amuse, h'ordeuvres, bonus desserts is 29, dinner is 90

Northern Spy

Hakata Tonton

Craftbar

Takashi

Did he say he wanted to eat near central park? We have this thing in NYC called a subway, its really amazing. I live 40+ blocks away from work, and I get there in one train stop and the train ride itself is 4 minutes.

he expressly mentioned staying in central park, so i inferred that he might like to eat somewhere close to central park.

just like i inferred from your response that you are a twat.

ahh sorry for not being clear in my initial post..caused a bit of confusion...

staying pretty close to the hilton on avenue of americas

more than happy to travel 20-30 min for a restaurant, but prefer something within 10 minutes by cab and/or 20 min walk...

cuisines - italian, jap, anything really...

thanks for the list of places dabestspoonda, i've already got my eyes set on del posto for one of my restaurants for dinner .. i heard their grilled lobster is epic...

I'm going to be stopping in NYC for a couple days on my way to a shopping trip in London/Paris.

Any advice on good places to find workwear/ streetwear looks in New York?

I'm planning to check out stussy, supreme, DQM, Reed, going to hit up Odin, any other suggestions? Anything in Brooklyn worth checking out?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from Ippudo. Sad to say ramen still sucks bad in New York City. Broth and noodles was not bad, but the cha shu was especially crap. I never came out of a ramen-ya having to pay more than $30. Anyway, I guess I can't complain, since most states don't even have a ramen spot.

Also went to Totto Ramen also. Not that good, but at least it's less than a steak dinner.

Ippudo is all hype and so-so food. You're paying for location and waiting in line.

What's good these days? Thinking of going down to NYC soon.

Setaga-ya is the worst though, IMO

I've always liked Santoka in Mitsuwa.

Kinda getting tired of ramen these days.

I've eaten at most of the highest rated ramen joints around Tokyo but they are all mediocre.

I don't eat much ramen in the summer. I'm also lazy so I don't go much uptown. We should go to kyo-ya when you're here.

I think ramen hype slowed down a little. It could be a good thing since only strong joints will survive.

NY is all about pork, burgers, and greasy food now.

All the korean owned Setagayas are no longer called Setagaya. They all have different names now. The one on St Marks is supposedly the only one still affiliated with the stores in Japan, they even took out ads in the Japanese newspapers here to make it official. I had their hiyashi chuuka for lunch and it was very good.

Japanese friends like Totto Ramen the best. Non japanese people dont seem to like it.

I still like Santouka the best, then Terakawa, and Tsuhima.

WTF is up with Ichiran?

I didnt like Kyo Ya as much when I went recently, I felt like its overpriced for what it is, especially for Herp since he's coming back from Japan recently.

Takashi is really good, its definitely differently from the horumonyaki places in Osaka, Shinjuku, and Gotanda. They took same approach as Kajitsu and took advantage of the best local ingredients NY state has to offer, instead of importing stuff from Japan.