1885 replies to this topic

#1501 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

I agree if you don't have to eat fast food, I would definitely recommend finding other options besides the corporate chains. There's so many great cheap spots you just gotta plan it out. Try Shake Shack Burgers, lot's of people love it.

Also if you're taking the subway you can use hopstop(dot)com, that will give you directions to get around.

#1502 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

Nice, noted all these places down. Will definitely check them out.

I have a problem though, i'll be a month away from 21 when I go. What's the deal with ID in NY? How likely are fakes to work, considering it will be an English one?

I've thought of borrowing a friend's drivers license but I don't want to be responsible for losing it if a bouncer decides I don't look enough like the dude.

Yeah that'd be cool Hocus, perhaps i'll hit you up nearer the time.

#1503 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

English fake should work at most places.

#1504 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

English fake should work at most places.

Good to know, thanks.

(hopefully) last bit of info: where are the best spots to drink for someone on a budget? is there an area of the city where all the students go?

#1505 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

It's not like other cities in that regard. There are cheap places in lots of different neighborhoods. I don't know how much drinking costs in Brighton, but compared to London, New York is very cheap. The only problem is the weakness of the pound.

#1506 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

If you drink in east village and lower east side you can keep it pretty cheap. Every bar has a happy hour, so get drunk early if you're broke.

Also the best traveling tip is to always get a bottle at the duty free shop. Every time I fly abroad I get at least one and it always comes in handy.

#1507 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

Yeah London is disgusting with drink prices.

Cheers for all the advice guys, looking forward to this!

#1508 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

If you drink in east village and lower east side you can keep it pretty cheap. Every bar has a happy hour, so get drunk early if you're broke.

Also the best traveling tip is to always get a bottle at the duty free shop. Every time I fly abroad I get at least one and it always comes in handy.

I love duty free! I always try to pick up a couple cartons of cigs and a bottle of JW Blue.

I agree the NYU area are full of young bucks you'll have fun out there.

#1509 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

Going to NYC next week. Want to show my gf a good time. Any suggestions on good places we could go for lunch/dinner? And spots for us to chill/sights to see/activities to do?

I'm from NYC, but when I did live there I never really deviated from the typical soho runs, cheap eats in CT, and shit like that. So I'm kind of clueless when it comes down to it.

I'd like for that week to run smooth, and if I end up going there without a clue of what to do I'll be kind of pissed.

#1510 norbertr

norbertr

bored

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • joined 08 april 09

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:10 AM

Going to NYC next week. Want to show my gf a good time. Any suggestions on good places we could go for lunch/dinner? And spots for us to chill/sights to see/activities to do?

I'm from NYC, but when I did live there I never really deviated from the typical soho runs, cheap eats in CT, and shit like that. So I'm kind of clueless when it comes down to it.

I'd like for that week to run smooth, and if I end up going there without a clue of what to do I'll be kind of pissed.

Go to serendipity for some frozen hot chocolate for dessert but go during the week and at opportune hours 'cause that place gets packed

#1511 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Go to serendipity for some frozen hot chocolate for dessert but go during the week and at opportune hours 'cause that place gets packed

Oddly enough my grandma has suggested that I take my ex there.

Will do. And the post before yours, although none were suggestions for me I'll def hit up many of the spots you talked about.

Just need some names of restuarants and what not. Maybe 10ish, all sorts of different cuisines if possible?

#1512 yachtrock89

yachtrock89

superbored

• Pip
  • 402 posts
  • joined 09 july 08
  • attitude:paranoid

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

Will be in NYC three or four days and am strapped for cash. Definitely want to hit up Uniqlo, is there anywhere else with some affordable shit? Staying in Park Slope

#1513 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

Best sushi place in NYC that ranges from 20-40 dollars?

#1514 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:03 AM

Best sushi place in NYC that ranges from 20-40 dollars?

Check out "Avenue A Sushi" it has pretty decent sushi for the price. It has kind of a "hip les feel" with dim lighting, art on the walls, and a dj spinning while you eat.

*oh yea...restaurants: Dinosaur bbq, Alta, Pipa tapas, Qi, Amy Ruths, Joe's Shanghai, Taqueria la Mexicana, Genka (sp?) jap spot in St Marks, Asia de cuba, Carmines Italian, The Park

#1515 ROYALEFATALE

ROYALEFATALE

postwhore

• 5,304 posts
  • joined 31 october 07
  • style:next level
  • attitude:hater

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

pretty much any fake will work regardless, i've seen people get into clubs with 8.5x11 photocopies of other people's passports and shit, there's so many foreigners/tourists that they don't really pursue it like smaller towns, no scanning or any of that business

how's blanka lame

#1516 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

Check out "Avenue A Sushi" it has pretty decent sushi for the price. It has kind of a "hip les feel" with dim lighting, art on the walls, and a dj spinning while you eat.

Just looked it up. Not quite the setting I'd like. Any other suggestions?

#1517 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,748 posts
  • joined 05 january 06

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I was thinking about NY for New Years.

The thing is that I have uni exams in January and if I do go to NY, I probably won't be going again for a long time because I'll be wanting to go to other places before returning, so I want to do as much as possible in 4-5 days.

Good idea, is NY anything special on NY? yay/nay?

You're not ready to own Sugar Cane denim.

#1518 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hmm I only want to visit one ramen place when I go to NYC...

Ippudo or Negiya or Menchanko Tei

Someone help me make a decision, thanks!

#1519 herpsky

herpsky

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,308 posts
  • joined 21 march 05
  • biography:ラーメン、イケメン、ボクブサメン
  • wish i was in:Macau

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

ippudo and negiya >>>>>>>> menchanko tei

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud. 

#1520 herpsky

herpsky

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,308 posts
  • joined 21 march 05
  • biography:ラーメン、イケメン、ボクブサメン
  • wish i was in:Macau

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

i've never had negiya but ippudo's broth is pretty awesome

ippudo's tonkotsu (pork bone <- however it's translated) broth is pretty awesome.
good flavor but it's not really greasy unlike most tonkotsu joints

i usually get the akamaru (red broth).

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud. 

#1521 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thanks herpsky. My gfs from Korea and has been craving for a good bowl of ramen. Ippudo it is! And I'll take your suggestion of akamaru and try that out.

#1522 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

Don't come to NY on new years. It sucks. Everyone who can tries to leave the city. Bars are crowded and expensive and times sq is just a horrible joke.

#1523 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

Avenue A is garbage

Do the sushi omakase at Kanoyama for 35. Its not the best they have there, but on your budget it will suffice.

#1524 LiberationFrequency

LiberationFrequency

superbored

• Pip
  • 458 posts
  • joined 02 august 07

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

pretty much any fake will work regardless, i've seen people get into clubs with 8.5x11 photocopies of other people's passports and shit, there's so many foreigners/tourists that they don't really pursue it like smaller towns, no scanning or any of that business

This is relieving. I was considering getting 2, just in case one gets taken from me.

#1525 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

This is relieving. I was considering getting 2, just in case one gets taken from me.

Well check out the front before you get in line. My local bar called "Stout" scans IDs so there are definitely places that do that. I'm not sure if they'll scan foreign IDs, but for any local pub you should be fine.

#1526 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking about NY for New Years.

The thing is that I have uni exams in January and if I do go to NY, I probably won't be going again for a long time because I'll be wanting to go to other places before returning, so I want to do as much as possible in 4-5 days.

Good idea, is NY anything special on NY? yay/nay?

Out of towners always say they want to try times sq on new years eve once in their life just to experience what it's like.

I'm with polishmike though, I usually leave town or stay far far away from times sq.

#1527 FADEtoDARKNESS

FADEtoDARKNESS

superjunkie

• superbad
  • Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 05 november 09

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

Out of towners always say they want to try times sq on new years eve once in their life just to experience what it's like.

I'm with polishmike though, I usually leave town or stay far far away from times sq.

OMG my ex gf wanted me to watch the ball drop with her in Times Square.

Such a fucking bad experience.

I only did it because she was from Japan and what not.

#1528 HOLY

HOLY

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,030 posts
  • joined 12 june 08
  • style:gangster

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:11 AM

I'll be in New York next week, any body knows about some cool thrift shops sample sales and other good less known spots?
PEACE

#1529 murdock

murdock

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 20 july 10

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

I'll be in New York next week, any body knows about some cool thrift shops sample sales and other good less known spots?

I know there's a couple in the Upper East side, my coworkers been telling me about how that store is hooked up with designer wear. I'll update when I can get the exact location but it's in the E 80's st. I usually go to sample sales when they come up on W 33rd / 8th ave (b/w Olivia & Stage door deli). There is no sample sale atm though...

#1530 american_hearts

american_hearts

superbored

• Pip
  • 938 posts
  • joined 12 june 06

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

DEFINITELY, second the five guys. One of my favorite burger spots. Try shake shack too. I wouldn't go for any of the street vendors though.. WAY too expensive. But i would recommend Nuts 4 Nuts for a street vendor. It's a great vendor for snacks. Gray's Papaya, or Papaya Dog. They're all the same. Im a regular at NY im from Jersey though. I never get tired of the recession special with a pina colada. Definitely. I might be going to rock the bells, if you need. Brooklyn's a dope spot. Check out the bridge. Rent a bike for a day. Depending how much you plan on spending on transportation and where you plan to go. And if you feel like youre willing to bike. I say biking around the city is the best way to absorb everything in. If youve got appreciation for street art check out houston street and wooster street for some shepard fairey pieces. If you love graffiti you definitely gotta check out Liberty Tunnel and 5 Pointz. I'm such an enthusiast for the city and I'd love to help you out (no homo) especially hearin that you're hittin up rock the bells. As for housing, try figuring out a hostel?? They got hostels in NY and some are cheap. Manhattan for shopping and sights. Brooklyn for some shopping if youre into thrift and vintage shit and definitely to absorb the culture. Queens too. Bronx as well. But just msg me if you want more places like shopping areas, good local food spots look for a spot called Pommes Frites i know they got em all over mainland Europe but this one's the shit. 99 miles to philly is a good cheesesteak spot. Yogurtland and pinkberry and red mango and 16 handles are amazing frozen yogurt spots. theres a crepe spot somewhere downtown in soho or the lower eastside thats amazing try their smoked salmon and cream cheese with spinach or their dessert crepes. Rice to riches is amazing for rice pudding. A lot of the spots I prefer are in downtown/soho/lower east side. Central park is definitely a must even though its "just a park". DEFINITELY go uptown in manhattan to harlem or washington heights or spanish harlem to absorb the culture. Harlem has amazing soul food spots you must hit up if you want a cheap lunch or dinner. There's a spot called Manna's soul food cafe, where its all you can eat soul food or you can take out and its priced by weight. Uptown is far from the SoHo shopping area and the Lower East Side and all that but you can rent a bike or do an all day subway pass (just make sure you make the money you spend, worth it and use the subway as much as possible) Subway takes time so use your time wisely! dont spend the day commuting. Like I said just msg me for more info enjoy the greatest city in the world (in my opinion).

This is awful. This is a tourist directing a tourist.

"Brooklyn's a dope spot?"

Jesus, this is worse than Zagat's.