1885 replies to this topic

#1171 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

obviously the quality of the new museum will be dependent on what they have at the time (there's no permanent collection on display to speak of), but when i went a couple months ago it was really fantastic.

my advise is to check timeout / voice online ahead of time, see what's there that appeals to you and then figure out when they're free. or conversely, see what's free when you're here then decide based on that.

semi-next level stuff: borrow a membership card from a member and get free tickets

mostly next level stuff: get an invitation to a private opening from said member (includes free bar)

next level stuff: find a friend / acquaintance who works for a sponsoring company of a museum, they can usually get a fair number of people in free with an employee ID

next next level stuff: find a friend of a friend who works at the museum and they can hook you up with free admission and/or get you in when closed to the public

Stevenson OC, Ten C, OG Uniqlo collabs, tech sundries:

http://supertalk.sup...-tech-sundries/

#1172 fur

fur

superbored

• Pip
  • 384 posts
  • joined 22 may 08

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

thx for all the responses guys,anything else other then museums that could be fun?

#1173 C0C0

C0C0

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 25 may 06

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

I went to the New Museum a few days ago and it was the worst $12 I spent in a long time. 2 floors of small oil paintings, 2 floors + roof top terrace closed and, well, that was it. we were out in less than 15 minutes.

boy did those paintings suck...the new museum is totally dependent on what they're showing. I think the last show was pretty succesful...as well as the installations from Paul Chan, Daniel Guzman and Steven Shearer that were up this summer.

---

depends when you're coming or not, but there's a lot of great shows up @ chelsea, just walk around 18th-28th streets by 10th avenue

chanel mobile art is going to be up @ central park beginning next week

anonymous gallery "contain" with greg lamarche, maya hayuk, anthony lister, and monica canailo public art installations opens this weekend, with the installations then being moved to the gallery oct 23

the outsiders street art exhibit from lazarides gallery extended until oct 26th

banksy pet shop open until oct 31 west village
she studying film and photo flash focus record

sorry massa! i'll do better next time massa! laaawwwddy massa, please forgive meeee

#1174 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

The Whitney was fantastic when I went in December last year. Real cheap from what I remember.

#1175 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

a chanel commercial masquerading as art is going to be up @ central park beginning next week - a must see if your idea of seeing nyc is waiting in line with tourists

fixed for you

#1176 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:25 AM

I went to the New Museum a few days ago and it was the worst $12 I spent in a long time. 2 floors of small oil paintings, 2 floors + roof top terrace closed and, well, that was it. we were out in less than 15 minutes.

New is the worst museum in ny. I've been at a party there right when it opened and it sucked, and once again later and it sucked even more. MoMA is great and the Met has Morandi now, which is fantastic. Chanel thing has free tickets online, just google it. Galleries on 21st, 22nd, and 25th have some ok stuff now.

#1177 C0C0

C0C0

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,116 posts
  • joined 25 may 06

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:32 AM

fixed for you

lol i do not mind chanel propaganda =x..online reservations are over, now they're same day only at the location

right now moma has focuses on van gogh and kirchner and a whole bunch of interesting smaller special exhibits...one of my fave things going on right now is the newest installment of their collection of contemporary art which has nan goldin's ballad of sexual dependency <3

i'm definitely looking forward to seeing theanyspacewhatever at guggenheim opening on the 24th....right now they have a retrospective of catherine opie's photographs which is just astounding

in addition to chelsea there are some interesting shows in the LES, just go to anyone of the galleries down there and pick up the "Les is More" gallery guide which includes a map that details all the galleries in the area. there's also a nice grouping of galleries midtown 57th - 79th on the eastside that have a totally different vibe
she studying film and photo flash focus record

sorry massa! i'll do better next time massa! laaawwwddy massa, please forgive meeee

#1178 theturtlesnavel

theturtlesnavel

bored

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • joined 06 june 07

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

I'm looking to get a pair of jeans tailored (get the legs slightly tapered & crotch taken in a bit) and would like some suggestions as to where to take them in the nyc area.

#1179 sixfive

sixfive

semibored

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • joined 12 october 08
  • denim:size 34

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

Same here, and I only spent $8 as a student. Only thing worth seeing was the view from the terrace level. Even the architecture of the building on the inside sucks.

I'll be back in nyc this week and I'll be checking out this new exhibit at Parsons: http://www.newschool...8/democracy.htm

#1180 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

New is the worst museum in ny.

the whitney is by far the worst, even their biennials are a joke.

#1181 Finn

Finn

semibored

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • joined 28 november 07

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

the whitney is by far the worst, even their biennials are a joke.

That is basically correct except I would question the use of 'even'.

The New is fine for what it is; with purely contemporary you're going to have to expect awful shit most of the time. LA–MOCA or PS1 are better because they generally cull from a longer time period. New is (too?) self-consciously cutting-edge.

The Guggenheim is often good but their curatorial direction revolves maddeningly around on the building for too many of their shows. The most narcissistic museum in NY; no small feat.

#1182 ipp

ipp

semibored

• Pip
  • 105 posts
  • joined 31 august 08

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

mayb check out the MAD, museum of arts and design. its new and i haven't been yet.

http://madmuseum.org/Default.aspx

#1183 Bendrix

Bendrix

semibored

• Pip
  • 118 posts
  • joined 09 october 07

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:16 AM

The Cloisters Park and Museum in Washington Heights. http://en.wikipedia....i/The_Cloisters

Oh hell yeah.

#1184 nicolazaro

nicolazaro

superbored

• Pip
  • 362 posts
  • joined 09 march 08

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:18 AM

we ate at risotteria first which was decent but a bit overpriced and crowded, then hung out around st. marks and union sq. and talked a bunch, and finally went back to her place and talked and had some drinks, and things went very well from there.

thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions, i asked because i don't live in the city and i'm pretty unfamiliar with places to go.

#1185 the_state

the_state

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • joined 30 august 06

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:11 AM

i suggest stopping by DessertTruck for some dessert

dude... are you throwing down w/ bobby flay?
Sell me your Supreme Timberline Jacket in XL (Green or Brown).

#1186 sont

sont

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 23 march 07

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:34 AM

since it sounds like you're a young'n, get some forties in the LES (ask a fiend), get on a rooftop do ya thing!

#1187 tahonng

tahonng

superbored

• Pip
  • 256 posts
  • joined 01 august 08

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

Check out this thread.

Give us your input when you go.

#1188 darkanimal

darkanimal

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • joined 20 january 05
  • biography:instagram: @darkanimalnyc @darkelephanttattoos

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

Duane Reade has chainstitching.

IMO, one of your worst outfits. You look like an andrognous fat gym teacher, those shorts are blech.

NYC contestant #13
Monster Sale!!! Cloak, RAF, Dior, N(N), more!!!

#1189 isoform

isoform

superbored

• Pip
  • 656 posts
  • joined 23 february 07

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

I met a girl coming out of the train in Kingston Throop stop and she said she was staying in a hostel in that area. Is this the same one you are referring to? I did not believe it at first, even the 3rd generation Bed-Stuy locals don't know about it.

the hostel i'm thinking of is right off the bedford-nostrand G stop on lafayette and bedford right behind the building the KFC is in. i'll ask ivanna what the name was as i'm sure they have a website.

greene street loftstel...most likely... i've stayed there a few times. might be there friday if i can't find a place to crash. anyone got a couch and isn't too creepy?!

#1190 dino might

dino might

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts
  • joined 27 october 06
  • style:gangster
  • talents:Many
  • denim:pimp

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

^i dun gotta couch but i gotta room at least, chi town buddy

Big Apple Hostel is $40 a night and right in manhattan on 45th

how do 1970s boobs even happen

#1191 isoform

isoform

superbored

• Pip
  • 656 posts
  • joined 23 february 07

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

yeah, thx, that place in bklyn is 25$/night and it's nice/new/clean and i didn't mind trekking late at night.

#1192 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

just stay at whitehouse on the bowery... you can't beat the location to price factor
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]

#1193 dino might

dino might

postwhore

• 7,779 posts
  • joined 27 october 06

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

^^ yeah dude. usually $1 slice joints are terrible by nyc standards. their only saving grace is a high turnover rate due to the price, so everything is fresh. regardless, it's prob better than what you're getting in florida.

ps - i can't fuck w/ pizza prices any more. a plain slice is $2.50 across the street from my apt. $2.50!!! you used to be able to get a slice and a soda for that price 6 months ago. or one of those crazy slices w/ like ziti on top.

mah du' its 2.75 A SLICE at the joint across the street from me. FUCK. THAT. im finna go hit up 2 Bros on 6th ave for two slices and a coke for 25 cents less than a single slice from rosa's place is a scam and and a half.

also- Fried Dumpling in the LES on allen by delancy, 5 dumplings for a dollar.

#1194 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

i thought fried dumpling closed? i always liked vanessas on the other side of the block way better for the beef pancake
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]

#1195 amo te

amo te

superbored

• Pip
  • 617 posts
  • joined 29 november 07

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

yeah i thought fried dumpling was gone too .. it would be awesome if it wasn't - used to go there and eat like a king for like .. 6 bucks.

2 bro's ain't bad if you're hammered .. i've definitely stumbled in there a few times and been satisfied. but then again at the state i was in i could have eaten a bums butthole.

#1196 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

pause.

vanessas is just as cheap and has a little more on the menu. i typically get two beef pancakes or a beef pancake and 4 fried. gorged on $4.

#1197 amo te

amo te

superbored

• Pip
  • 617 posts
  • joined 29 november 07

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

will check this out this week.

also, check out la conquita in soho. 7 bucks for a HUGE serving of rice, beans, plantains, onions, and for a few extra bucks some meat. i basically live on it and my wallet is much fatter because of it (and somehow i'm not).

if you go on a friday around 1 or 2 you can get the mussels and shrimp which are amazing. they sell out fast, though.

#1198 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

la conquita is amazing.. right by bicycle habitat, right?

#1199 dino might

dino might

postwhore

• 7,779 posts
  • joined 27 october 06

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

i thought fried dumpling closed? i always liked vanessas on the other side of the block way better for the beef pancake

yeah i thought fried dumpling was gone too .. it would be awesome if it wasn't - used to go there and eat like a king for like .. 6 bucks.

2 bro's ain't bad if you're hammered .. i've definitely stumbled in there a few times and been satisfied. but then again at the state i was in i could have eaten a bums butthole.

nah, its open for sure, went with laughingbuddha last week with nothing but coins on me.

and yo, i think two bros is damn good for the price, id say its 2 bucks good :rolleyes:, long as its hot, which has been the case most times ive been. my slices today were a little too cool to be delish but still dank for 2 washintons

this vanessa's though.. do they have the dumplings too? i got a serious soft spot for fried pork dumplings.. if they do i might just have to convert

#1200 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

yeah.. its basically fried dumpling with a bigger menu. same crispy fried dumplings as well as pork buns, sesame pancake, soups, steamed dumplings, etc.

the best is 100 frozen dumplings for like $8. eat for weeks.

eldridge and broome.