usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I went to the New Museum a few days ago and it was the worst $12 I spent in a long time. 2 floors of small oil paintings, 2 floors + roof top terrace closed and, well, that was it. we were out in less than 15 minutes.

boy did those paintings suck...the new museum is totally dependent on what they're showing. I think the last show was pretty succesful...as well as the installations from Paul Chan, Daniel Guzman and Steven Shearer that were up this summer.

---

depends when you're coming or not, but there's a lot of great shows up @ chelsea, just walk around 18th-28th streets by 10th avenue

chanel mobile art is going to be up @ central park beginning next week

anonymous gallery "contain" with greg lamarche, maya hayuk, anthony lister, and monica canailo public art installations opens this weekend, with the installations then being moved to the gallery oct 23

the outsiders street art exhibit from lazarides gallery extended until oct 26th

banksy pet shop open until oct 31 west village

I went to the New Museum a few days ago and it was the worst $12 I spent in a long time. 2 floors of small oil paintings, 2 floors + roof top terrace closed and, well, that was it. we were out in less than 15 minutes.

New is the worst museum in ny. I've been at a party there right when it opened and it sucked, and once again later and it sucked even more. MoMA is great and the Met has Morandi now, which is fantastic. Chanel thing has free tickets online, just google it. Galleries on 21st, 22nd, and 25th have some ok stuff now.

fixed for you

lol i do not mind chanel propaganda =x..online reservations are over, now they're same day only at the location

right now moma has focuses on van gogh and kirchner and a whole bunch of interesting smaller special exhibits...one of my fave things going on right now is the newest installment of their collection of contemporary art which has nan goldin's ballad of sexual dependency <3

i'm definitely looking forward to seeing theanyspacewhatever at guggenheim opening on the 24th....right now they have a retrospective of catherine opie's photographs which is just astounding

in addition to chelsea there are some interesting shows in the LES, just go to anyone of the galleries down there and pick up the "Les is More" gallery guide which includes a map that details all the galleries in the area. there's also a nice grouping of galleries midtown 57th - 79th on the eastside that have a totally different vibe

Same here, and I only spent $8 as a student. Only thing worth seeing was the view from the terrace level. Even the architecture of the building on the inside sucks.

I'll be back in nyc this week and I'll be checking out this new exhibit at Parsons: http://www.newschool.edu/pressroom/pressreleases/2008/democracy.htm

the whitney is by far the worst, even their biennials are a joke.

That is basically correct except I would question the use of 'even'.

The New is fine for what it is; with purely contemporary you're going to have to expect awful shit most of the time. LA–MOCA or PS1 are better because they generally cull from a longer time period. New is (too?) self-consciously cutting-edge.

The Guggenheim is often good but their curatorial direction revolves maddeningly around on the building for too many of their shows. The most narcissistic museum in NY; no small feat.

we ate at risotteria first which was decent but a bit overpriced and crowded, then hung out around st. marks and union sq. and talked a bunch, and finally went back to her place and talked and had some drinks, and things went very well from there.

thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions, i asked because i don't live in the city and i'm pretty unfamiliar with places to go.

I met a girl coming out of the train in Kingston Throop stop and she said she was staying in a hostel in that area. Is this the same one you are referring to? I did not believe it at first, even the 3rd generation Bed-Stuy locals don't know about it.
the hostel i'm thinking of is right off the bedford-nostrand G stop on lafayette and bedford right behind the building the KFC is in. i'll ask ivanna what the name was as i'm sure they have a website.

greene street loftstel...most likely... i've stayed there a few times. might be there friday if i can't find a place to crash. anyone got a couch and isn't too creepy?!

^^ yeah dude. usually $1 slice joints are terrible by nyc standards. their only saving grace is a high turnover rate due to the price, so everything is fresh. regardless, it's prob better than what you're getting in florida.

ps - i can't fuck w/ pizza prices any more. a plain slice is $2.50 across the street from my apt. $2.50!!! you used to be able to get a slice and a soda for that price 6 months ago. or one of those crazy slices w/ like ziti on top.

mah du' its 2.75 A SLICE at the joint across the street from me. FUCK. THAT. im finna go hit up 2 Bros on 6th ave for two slices and a coke for 25 cents less than a single slice from rosa's place is a scam and and a half.

also- Fried Dumpling in the LES on allen by delancy, 5 dumplings for a dollar.

yeah i thought fried dumpling was gone too .. it would be awesome if it wasn't - used to go there and eat like a king for like .. 6 bucks.

2 bro's ain't bad if you're hammered .. i've definitely stumbled in there a few times and been satisfied. but then again at the state i was in i could have eaten a bums butthole.

will check this out this week.

also, check out la conquita in soho. 7 bucks for a HUGE serving of rice, beans, plantains, onions, and for a few extra bucks some meat. i basically live on it and my wallet is much fatter because of it (and somehow i'm not).

if you go on a friday around 1 or 2 you can get the mussels and shrimp which are amazing. they sell out fast, though.

i thought fried dumpling closed? i always liked vanessas on the other side of the block way better for the beef pancake
yeah i thought fried dumpling was gone too .. it would be awesome if it wasn't - used to go there and eat like a king for like .. 6 bucks.

2 bro's ain't bad if you're hammered .. i've definitely stumbled in there a few times and been satisfied. but then again at the state i was in i could have eaten a bums butthole.

nah, its open for sure, went with laughingbuddha last week with nothing but coins on me.

and yo, i think two bros is damn good for the price, id say its 2 bucks good :rolleyes:, long as its hot, which has been the case most times ive been. my slices today were a little too cool to be delish but still dank for 2 washintons

this vanessa's though.. do they have the dumplings too? i got a serious soft spot for fried pork dumplings.. if they do i might just have to convert