usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

max brenner's (and that vosges place) looks like the kind of dumb place that attracts tourists so i've never been in. if you're looking for french style chocolates pierre marcolini is the best, better than la maison imo.

max is ok if you're lazy but even i can cook better italian ffs

I disagree about Vosages, its leagues above max brenners which itself is like a Ruby Tuesdays for chocolate.

The price points alone at Vosages would dissuade most tourists from even setting foot through the door. Although I can see where you getting at seeing how they've grown from a single soho shop to like a dozen stores, I can see it becoming a mall store eventually and lowering their price points(no more 75 dollar boxes of chocolate).

I've only been to max once, nothing about it warrants a return visit. Truthfully I'm more into places like Dieci, and Greenwich Grill, lighter japanese style preparations of Italian cooking in contrast to places places like Sapori D'ischia and Lupa.

Chocolate in ny (in no particular order):

Maison du Chocolat

Teuscher

Richart Design et Chocolat

Neuhaus

Martine’s

Jacques Torres

Christopher Norman

Kee's

Vosges is much better than Brenner's but I don't eat chocolate with peppers or some other nasty shit in it. Chocolate Bar and Maribel are similar but Christopher Norman and Kee's are both better than Vosges.

i take it you've never been to marcolini? it's worth a stop by. martine's is the place in bloomies right? no comparison there.

lupa was the best italian in nyc when ladner was running it, i used to stop by a lot just to see what he was coming up with. it's gone seriously downhill since he left but i go to the del posto enoteca whenever i need a fix. he's responsible for two of the best mains i've ever had, a porchetta and a wood-grilled lobster.

I'm getting tired of hairmates. I mean they give okay haircuts but not as good as the ones i get in the japland.

I've been to hairmates at least 5 times, had 3 different stylists.

Check out the back classifieds of Japion, theres always jr. hairstylists offering free cuts if you want to go ghetto.

Lets talk macarons

I've tried

La Maison - good but I need more variety

Bouchon - too damn sweet and chewy in consistency

Macaron Cafe - some days really good, some just okay

Payard- didnt seem fresh like they been sitting for days

Lets talk macarons

I've tried

La Maison - good but I need more variety

Bouchon - too damn sweet and chewy in consistency

Macaron Cafe - some days really good, some just okay

Payard- didnt seem fresh like they been sitting for days

you mean macaroons? just make them yourself, they're not that difficult - getting them at a store that doesn't have a high turnover rate will always be a crap shoot since they need to be eaten straight away

you mean macaroons? just make them yourself, they're not that difficult - getting them at a store that doesn't have a high turnover rate will always be a crap shoot since they need to be eaten straight away

no Macarons, the french almond based cookies.

Macaroons are them crappy kosher coconut cookies.

seems like you guys obviously know all the local spots...

but for deli's, even tho its expensive and touristy, carnegie deli is an experience. i've been there a few times and never been disapointed. its around $15 a sandwich, but that shit is HUGE. you guys probably know a beter/cheaper place tho

Ok, I'll have to make sure to stop by some of these chocolate spots.

Where can I find some great...

pizza

deli's/sandwiches

bagels

I went to one bagel shop in the upper west side (by New York Pipe Dreams) and I thought it was pretty good. What are your guys' thoughts?

pizza is a highly volatile and heavily debated topic. Una Pizza Neopolitana, but they're closed for the rest of summer. Its hard to find a crappy generic pizza by the slice, just look for a place thats busy for a high turnover. I just avoid places that look like the pizza has been sitting for a while.

Katz Deli

I dont eat bagels,

Where can I find some great...

pizza

deli's/sandwiches

bagels

For Pizza, Artichoke Pizza is pretty ridiculous, (price wise and what it is), not really a traditional NY Slice by any means, but it's still tasty.

For a NY slice I like bleeker st. pizza a lot more than the other famous touristy places (lombardi's, john's, etc.). But I really don't mind the neighborhood places at all either.

For Pizza, Artichoke Pizza is pretty ridiculous, (price wise and what it is), not really a traditional NY Slice by any means, but it's still tasty.

For a NY slice I like bleeker st. pizza a lot more than the other famous touristy places (lombardi's, john's, etc.). But I really don't mind the neighborhood places at all either.

artichoke is good, but some times their pizza is really damn burnt.

Ok here's the deal. A friend and I are planning to take the overnight Neon/Megabus from Toronto to NYC for 1-2 nights. Just a much needed escape from this over-complicated life.

I've heard I could stay at Jersey city and take the PATH to NYC and save a lot of money on hotels. I plan on using Priceline, but it appears that their 4* hotels in Jersey City were downgraded to 3* so I'm unsure if I could get a hotel in a decent location. I suppose we could always just cab it back to the hotel if need be.

We're both poor students so we'll be scarfing down street food (compliments of another thread here) so that's our diet there.

What's there to see/do in such a short period of time? I'm thinking SoHo, 5th Ave, then Top of the Rock .. then chill at some classy bar/lounge for the night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ok here's the deal. A friend and I are planning to take the overnight Neon/Megabus from Toronto to NYC for 1-2 nights. Just a much needed escape from this over-complicated life.

I've heard I could stay at Jersey city and take the PATH to NYC and save a lot of money on hotels. I plan on using Priceline, but it appears that their 4* hotels in Jersey City were downgraded to 3* so I'm unsure if I could get a hotel in a decent location. I suppose we could always just cab it back to the hotel if need be.

We're both poor students so we'll be scarfing down street food (compliments of another thread here) so that's our diet there.

What's there to see/do in such a short period of time? I'm thinking SoHo, 5th Ave, then Top of the Rock .. then chill at some classy bar/lounge for the night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How much is the Neon/Megabus from Toronto to new york, both ways?