usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

find a hostel (there's one in bed stuy by my house that was suprisingly nice))

I met a girl coming out of the train in Kingston Throop stop and she said she was staying in a hostel in that area. Is this the same one you are referring to? I did not believe it at first, even the 3rd generation Bed-Stuy locals don't know about it.

someone at astor hair's gotta do a hot shave. there's like at least 25 people working there on peak.

the hostel i'm thinking of is right off the bedford-nostrand G stop on lafayette and bedford right behind the building the KFC is in. i'll ask ivanna what the name was as i'm sure they have a website.

MORE IMPORTANTLY :|

I need a recommendation for a haircut in NYC.

Someone who has experience cutting asian hair (hard hair).

The last time I went to a white salon, I came out a mess.. and there aren't any asian salons, not to mention asian people in my town.

Hairmates? Japanese hair salon, there's one at St. Marks and another at midtown. I've only been to the St. Marks location but they're pretty reliable.

I personally love Whistle though, been there once (recently) for the first time and I loved the cut immediately.

You mentioned cafe's and I love coffee so..:

Cafe Abraco (Near 1st ave, 7th st.) - best espresso in the city. Small as hell space, but definitely worth checking out)

9th Street Espresso (Near Ave. C, 9th St.) - One of my other favorites. Actually has sitting room.

Joe - The Art of Coffee - There's one near Waverly place. Don't know the exact street, but it's next to a "Waverly Diner" so it's hard to miss. There's another location near Union Square, and another at 9th Ave. 23rd st.

Cafe Grumpy - There's one in Greenpoint I believe, and another between 8th and 7th ave on.. 20th Street I think. Great variety of coffee. The espresso drinks are pretty good, but not as great as the above 3.

What else..

I haven't been to Museums that much, but MoMA's always a good one. The Museum of Sex is actually pretty interesting to hit up and it's a novelty so if you need something to do to fill up an hour or two you should go there.

As for shows, just check out brooklynvegan or toddpnyc for a good listing of local ones.

I haven't been to nyc in for a couple of years, but im finally going next weekend (aug 22-24) with my girlfriend. We already reserved a room at the pod hotel, so we are gonna be located in manhattan, close to everything. I would like to stock up on some visvim, apc, ndg, and similar brands. I know the apc store and some places with ndg, but are there any more boutiques i should know of? I also REALLY want to buy visvim, i know that union has visvim, but is there anywhere else that has good visvim stock? Im open to any boutique recommendations. I also love japanese food, and im looking for some cheap/authentic japanese places to eat. and finally, are there any sweet events going on the weekend our stay?

thanks for the help

I'm moving to New York City in January and i might move into a dorm or i might get a place of my own.

What i'm wondering is how does an 18 yr old with roughly $9000 that lives in Houston acquire a studio (300ft?, less than $1300 a month) in brooklyn, queens, manhattan?

i have little to no credit history, i work currently but i dont have a career. For something like this does a parent co-sign for the studio?

any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

If you're 18 and have no credit, you're probably going to have to pay a years rent up front, and unfortunately $9,000 isn't going to do it. Normally you can have parents co-sign, but many landlords want IN-STATE cosigners.

You MIGHT be able to find a small studio in Manhattan for $1,300. I did, but it was 15 months ago, and it's rent stabilized and in the East Village and I'm not leaving anytime soon.

Another option is to find an available room on craigslist. That way you don't need co-signers, or credit really. Also you avoid paying a brokers fee.

The fees and other bullshit you don't think of are what really get you. Even if you were able to find a place for $1,300 (which, of course, is way more doable in brooklyn or queens), it's probably going to break down like this:

First months rent: $1,300

Last months rent: $1,300

Security deposit: $1,300 (you get this back when you move out)

BROKER'S FEE: $2,535 (assuming it's 15%)

That's over $6,400 just to move in, and you need that money all at once. It really sucks. Sometime last months rent and security deposit will be the same thing. But it really is all worth it once you here.

you gotta think about how you will pay the rent. if you dont have a career im assuming you're making $2500 a month tops. $1300 rent will kill you in this case and that's assuming you do make that amount. i would suggest to get a room somewhere for $700 and see what kind of jobs you can get here.

how exactly do you intend to pay $1300/ month rent with minimum wage earnings? people/ brokers who rent apts. want to see that you can pay the rent at ease, often using a formula to determine the income you must have to secure a place of your own. that usually means 40x the monthly rent.

Unfortunately probably not. You need to make FORTY TIMES the monthly rent to sign a lease by yourself. And if you have a guarantor they need to make EIGHTY TIMES the rent to sign for you. It's really ridiculous and I can't believe I ever got it done in the first place.

Spa.. but actually anything will do.. preferably run by Chinese, all the white ones I looked at are so expensive & luxurious looking.

Prolly just wanna blow fifty bucks.

Edit: My previous post, I meant decent as in they're strong hands, not as in not-sketchy. I don't need a place that looks good :P