• Please log in to reply
1885 replies to this topic

#991 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

midtown is a black hole of hot garbage. i'm a fan of bon chon on 32nd and madison, but that's about it.

clinton st for lunch/dinner is amazing. the pork chop is top notch. i've never gone for brunch with the 2-3 hour wait times
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]

#992 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

two recs in the belly of the beast that is affordable dining in midtown:

menchanko-tei on 55th btwn 5/6 - great shoyu and hakata ramen
virgil's on 45th just east of times square - excellent barbecue, the best in the city before the bandwagon started. vibe is pretty tgif but great food and surprisingly decent beer menu. above 20/person although you can go the pulled pork sandwich route.

Stevenson OC, Ten C, OG Uniqlo collabs, tech sundries:

http://supertalk.sup...-tech-sundries/

#993 Fookums

Fookums

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,453 posts
  • joined 31 january 07

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

^^I've always heard about the crazy wait times for Clinton St. Baking, but the two times I've been there the wait's never been more than 10 minutes. Maybe I've just been lucky..?

#994 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

I've waited 30 min before so it really depends.

#995 shoreman1782

shoreman1782

superbored

• Pip
  • 875 posts
  • joined 02 february 06
  • style:buffalo
  • attitude:none

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

/takes notes

I'll be staying around 51st and 2nd, but probably wandering all over the goddamn place.

#996 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

menchanko-tei on 55th btwn 5/6 - great shoyu and hakata ramen

this place is the jam! i used to eat there all the time when i worked up there. so fucking tasty.
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]

#997 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

Any superfuture midtown recs? Not necessarily "lunch for $3" so much as "good food for under $20/person".

Aburiya Kinnosuke has a good lunch deal

#998 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

when i'm talking about 2-3 hrs at clinton street, i'm talking about weekend brunch hours. dinner you can usually walk in or there's maybe a 20-30 min wait tops.

#999 avonalliv8

avonalliv8

semibored

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • joined 01 november 07

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

this place is the jam! i used to eat there all the time when i worked up there. so fucking tasty.

i used to eat there all the time, too... until the DOH closed them down for a month. after reading why, exactly, they closed it, i dont think i will go back.

not sure if anyones mentioned this, but check out http://www.midtownlunch.com for some good midtown secrets

#1000 the_state

the_state

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • joined 30 august 06

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

when i'm talking about 2-3 hrs at clinton street, i'm talking about weekend brunch hours. dinner you can usually walk in or there's maybe a 20-30 min wait tops.

brunch crowd is mental on the weekend, especially when the weather is getting to the point where it's at now. sooooo many fine LES std-rockin, drug-habit havin, trust fund check cashin womenz though. i'll have to swing by for dinner one time.
Sell me your Supreme Timberline Jacket in XL (Green or Brown).

#1001 the_state

the_state

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • joined 30 august 06

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

/takes notes

I'll be staying around 51st and 2nd, but probably wandering all over the goddamn place.

i used to work on 50th and 3rd. if there's one place you must try out, it's pampano taqueria. they're in the basement of this giant office building on 3rd avenue between 49th and 50th (odd side of the street). get the fish and pork tacos, both are very good and better than just about anything in manhattan (unless you're from LA they're be very impressive). only open during lunch hours on weekdays.
Sell me your Supreme Timberline Jacket in XL (Green or Brown).

#1002 premier

premier

superbored

• Pip
  • 534 posts
  • joined 04 november 07

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

Any superfuture midtown recs? Not necessarily "lunch for $3" so much as "good food for under $20/person".

Check out this guy's blog on Midtown lunch spots. Pretty informative
http://midtownlunch.com/

#1003 JesseJB

JesseJB

superbored

• Pip
  • 846 posts
  • joined 09 september 05

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

Every time I go to NYC I go alone and come back with the best stories. Just wing it man! You just need to pack light and wear good shoes. Or cover your bases and try and crash with someone from the forum here...(pay them in beer).

#1004 diewhitegirls

diewhitegirls

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,513 posts
  • joined 22 may 06

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

So I haven't been in the city for almost 6 years and I feel a bit out of touch. I'm taking the ladyfriend to NYC for the first time and I'd like to do it up a couple of nights. Tavern on the Green and that ilk (RTR/4 Seasons/etc.) are on the table, but I'd like to know what's new and good. Right now my best thought is Union Square Cafe, so something along that vein is perfect. I'm not looking for any celebrity restaurants or anything like that.

Thanks all.

On a side note, has anything "must-do" popped up in the last few years?

#1005 jimmyc

jimmyc

superfuture13

• supermod
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • joined 20 july 07
  • attitude:hater
  • denim:size 32

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

....I'm not looking for any celebrity restaurants or anything like that.

Kitchen at the Mercer Hotel. You'll see a lot of people you'll recognize.

:)

DOUBLEXX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1006 kunk75

kunk75

postwhore

• 5,688 posts
  • joined 13 march 07

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

craft is still one of the best. morimoto is always a good time.
i just cant imagine a mid 30 year old bodybuilder talking like a lolcat

#1007 diewhitegirls

diewhitegirls

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,513 posts
  • joined 22 may 06

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Kitchen at the Mercer Hotel. You'll see a lot of people you'll recognize.

:)

If I'm doing Jean-George, I'm doing Jean-George's.

craft is still one of the best. morimoto is always a good time.

The lady is a vegetarian. Forgot to mention that.

#1008 sushijerk

sushijerk

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,222 posts
  • joined 27 august 06

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Man forget Tavern on the Green. Banquet hall food for tourists and 80 year old couples. The room is the ony nice thing about it.

Blue Hill is pretty nice. I also like Cru if you are into wine. Does vegetarian rule out sushi?

#1009 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

my best friend is vegan so here are few places we visit often:

http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
http://www.angelicakitchen.com/
http://www.raw-q.com/

they are all highly recommended

you can get a great falafel at taïm

#1010 mellowfellow

mellowfellow

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,459 posts
  • joined 20 february 06

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

I'd recommend neighborhood restaurants in the west village. They are all very good restaurants, non trendy and casual places with amazing good food at affordable prices. These places are great to take your lady friend. Plus, you can wear whatever you want. No need to dress up like jean georges. Unless suit and tie is your thing. I second blue hill. Others are:

The little owl (very hard to get in but they do accept walk in).

Perilla (top chef season 1 winner, Harold),

August (the back restaurant is like a green house, glass ceiling, makes you feel like your in a back garden.)

The Red Cat (this is in chelsea. Worth a visit).

I haven't been to Union sq cafe. But if you like danny meyers rstaurants. You may check out Gramercy Tavern.

#1011 diewhitegirls

diewhitegirls

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,513 posts
  • joined 22 may 06

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

Man forget Tavern on the Green. Banquet hall food for tourists and 80 year old couples. The room is the ony nice thing about it.

Blue Hill is pretty nice. I also like Cru if you are into wine. Does vegetarian rule out sushi?

Oh man, I grew up on Tavern. :( It's got memories for me, plus my dad knew Warner Leroy so I have a lot of sentimentality tied up in the place.

my best friend is vegan so here are few places we visit often:

http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
http://www.angelicakitchen.com/
http://www.raw-q.com/

they are all highly recommended

you can get a great falafel at taïm

Angelica looks like a great idea. I'll take a closer look at the other places also. How does the falafel at Taim compare to Mamoun's?

I'd recommend neighborhood restaurants in the west village. They are all very good restaurants, non trendy and casual places with amazing good food at affordable prices. These places are great to take your lady friend. Plus, you can wear whatever you want. No need to dress up like jean georges. Unless suit and tie is your thing. I second blue hill. Others are:

The little owl (very hard to get in but they do accept walk in).

Perilla (top chef season 1 winner, Harold),

August (the back restaurant is like a green house, glass ceiling, makes you feel like your in a back garden.)

The Red Cat (this is in chelsea. Worth a visit).

I haven't been to Union sq cafe. But if you like danny meyers rstaurants. You may check out Gramercy Tavern.

Aaaaah, I have to go to Perilla now. Fuck my celebrity chef nono, I love Harold.

Thanks for all the help. I think I've got my hands full right now.

#1012 AstroWolf

AstroWolf

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • joined 13 april 07
  • biography:The truth might be that i am not a good person.

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Blue water grill has great fish. Try the lobster bisque, its more or less the star of the show.

if your looking for a romantic vibe go to Cafe Des Artists, its amazing fu nto bring a girl and have a good time, i love the martinis. and the sowrd fish is really good too.
"Yeah, I was in the shit".

#1013 sushijerk

sushijerk

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,222 posts
  • joined 27 august 06

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

Imho Taim is better than Mamouns.

#1014 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:24 AM

tavern / craft / danny meyer / mercer kitchen / etc were already pretty old hat six years ago. nowadays the preference is for more casual, intimate places in the style of jewel bako (little owl fits in this category). also fatty pork is king.

i don't know how useful this will be to a veg diner but you may want to check out: degustation, momofuku ssam bar (late night menu), fatty crab... bigger places from more established restauranteurs there's: bar boulud, del posto (affordable prix fixe at the enoteca/bar area... or not), bouley upstairs and the new blue ribbon on the upper west side (great sushi, but for the best go to sushi gari on the upper east side).

#1015 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

I never felt casual at Jewel Bako, especially when theres always like 4-5 waiters standing behind you.

#1016 diewhitegirls

diewhitegirls

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,513 posts
  • joined 22 may 06

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:38 AM

Thankfully we're going to be there for 10 days, so I'll be able to put a bunch of these places to the test.

I should probably also add brunch questions to this list now. Anything already mentioned fit the bill? I prefer a good buffet, but if the plate service is off the hizzle, I'll go for that too.

#1017 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:44 AM

Thankfully we're going to be there for 10 days, so I'll be able to put a bunch of these places to the test.

I should probably also add brunch questions to this list now. Anything already mentioned fit the bill? I prefer a good buffet, but if the plate service is off the hizzle, I'll go for that too.

Aquavit has a nice brunch buffet, but a jacket is required

Cookshop
Five Points

#1018 sleazie ninja number 47

sleazie ninja number 47

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • joined 29 november 05

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Freemans and kingswood are two I'd check out. During summertime, barrio chino is one of my fav spots as well. All are casual, with good crowds and food.

Brunch, err, how about 9th st market? Balthazar is a classic as well, and not as dated as some of the restaurants listed by the OP.

I wouldn't bother with tavern or un sq cafe, unless that's your bag.

#1019 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

brunchwise i'd say cookshop or brown's (if you go early). i kind of hate brunch in the city though. balthazar is a lot better than it has to be but still a bit of a scene for my tastes.

btw i was bummed to hear that florent is going out of business at the end of this month... the last time i was there i was thinking this is the kind of place in the city that just doesn't exist anymore and here we are. so check that out before it's gone.

on the mcnally front has anyone been to his italian place?

#1020 conan.

conan.

banned

• banned
  • Pip
  • 1,058 posts
  • joined 04 december 07

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

x post as i cant find the original nyc thread and there's threads in jetset and official..

does anyone know of any cheap good place to stay, ie motels, hostels whateva? can be like in brooklyn or whereever, i don't really mind, as long as easy to get by transit... haven't been to new york since i was like 11, am heading down there for a week in late august with a friend

i want something pretty cheap so i can more money for shopping, food, etc...

advice or like links to sites with info, or anything, would be greatly appreciated
Posted Image