usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I am also planning a quick trip to NYC all the way from Finland. The only problem is that I need a single room that has 18 years as the minimum age of entry. I found a few good options from hotels.com, but all of them were with the minimum age of entry as 21 years. I suppose those age limits are pretty much non-negotiable?

So a private single room at a hostel seems like the thing to look for? Or are there any hotels that would allow a 19-year old tourist to book a room only for himself.

My budget is around 30-80usd per night and I would be staying for 5 nights during the next 2 weeks.

I went New York a few times by myself before I turned 21 and I never had problems checking into the Hilton Hotel in Midtown (on 6th Ave/Avenue of the Americas) or the Jumeirah Essex House on Central Park South.

"I had come to Ippudo to review the food, and for that Chang was of little help, since the only food he will criticize is his own. This is him on his own ramen: “We serve crappy Pan-Asian ramen made for round-eyes.†This is him on the food at Ippudo: “I like it all.â€"

http://men.style.com/gq/blogs/alanrichman/2008/05/its-good-to-be.html

Did the hot waitress at Minca have a husky voice that is a bit of a mismatch to what she looks like? then i concur with herp's assessment. I thought about making stalking plans to go back to Minca, but I've been too busy, too health conscious, and the pricepoint vs. quality debate always leaves a native japanese like myself grumbling - ramen is supposed to be way easier on the wallet....girl like that must get hit on by dudes every shift...

Dis b da broad.

she's fine.

I finally tried Fanelli's today

It was just okay

I ordered it it med rare and it came well done, but I was in hurry. Normally I dont mind well done burgers if they taste good, but this burger was kinda bland, and missing the smokiness I like in burgers.

I'm gonna end up posting this in the other nyc thread also. Me and my Girl are going to the city between wednesday and saturday next week. Staying with one of her girls in the east village. I pretty much have the idea of what shopping I'll do, blue in green, 45 rpm, uniqlo, cloak, alife, maybe mishka, bunch of other shit. Doing alot of museums and such. Going to the takeover at love friday the 23rd. I don't really have anything picked out as far as dining goes, and all the other nights are pretty much open, so anyone have suggestions or must does?

I'm gonna end up posting this in the other nyc thread also. Me and my Girl are going to the city between wednesday and saturday next week. Staying with one of her girls in the east village. I pretty much have the idea of what shopping I'll do, blue in green, 45 rpm, uniqlo, cloak, alife, maybe mishka, bunch of other shit. Doing alot of museums and such. Going to the takeover at love friday the 23rd. I don't really have anything picked out as far as dining goes, and all the other nights are pretty much open, so anyone have suggestions or must does?

Dude, sit down cause you're in for a shock. Cloak doesn't exist anymore. And Alife sucks.

i recommend schiller's. has a cool design, food and drinks are good, price ain't bad at all, and there are a bunch of sufuer sightings. i kept on running into guys like sidney, kiya and dum there.

but otherwise, what are you in the mood for? you'll find almost anything and everything there.

There's the overplayed but still delicious Cafe Habana on Prince st. in Nolita.

Minca is a bit out of the way on East 5 btwn A&B but it's cheap and better than the other alternatives imo (though you could debate that in the ramen noodle thread…)

i recommend schiller's. has a cool design, food and drinks are good, price ain't bad at all, and there are a bunch of sufuer sightings. i kept on running into guys like sidney, kiya and dum there.

but otherwise, what are you in the mood for? you'll find almost anything and everything there.

Schiller's has great food. They also serve Fernet. +1 in my book.

Oh yeah, remember to go downstairs and take a piss in their bathroom. It's fucking epic.

And who would wear mishka/alife with Cloak.

You sound like high school kids talking about what brands you can or can't wear with each other. I have alife everybody hi white deluxes I wear with everything from dior and apc to spoonfed. I think if you have style you can wear items from different types of brands without conforming to a certain stereotype, and I also think that you can dress up or down accordign to ocassion. I'm trying to buy a bit more casual stuff as I'm starting to teach. I haven't bought anything by mishka in over a year but I thought I'd check out the pop up shop since I'm going to be in new york. Hell I'm going to go to breakbeat science out of nostalgia because I used to spend hundreds a week on drum and bass records there. I wanted some ideas on shit to check out ,not comments on where I choose to shop. If I wanted your opinions on what I buy or wear I'd post in waywt or some other shit.

^^Cheapest food is still in Chinatown, from $1 dumplings to $3 fried porkchop and rice. Careful from street vendors, but you can get $2 tripe and fried shit. Venture to Spanish Harlem (no longer Puerto Rican, but mostly Mexican) and get cheap tacos from a truck or cuchifritos from a variety of places.

Don't forget to pack a box of Imodium and you're good.

there is a website somewhere that lists meals by 'under $15' 'under $10' 'under $5' etc but i can't fucking find it. that was the jam when i was coming up here to visit.

there is also dumpling house on eldridge where they're 5 for $1. $2 will get you GORGED.

my favorite halal has to be 53rd, but that dude doesn't come on until like 10-11pm and the line is around the block. my favorite lunch halal is definitely rafiqi's, which has carts at 33rd/park, 47th/madison and i'm sure around soho.

if you're into booze, stick to the LES or willyburger for reasonable and often cheap cold beers.

the met is donation based. every time i've just walked in and never had anyone say anything about me not wearing one of the buttons. MoMA and several other museums are free +1 with time inc. ID's so if you know anyone that works there, make them take you out or make a fake time ID that you can flash and say "open sesame."

the main way to keep it cheap is don't stay at a hotel (craigslist a room, sleep on a friend's couch, find a hostel (there's one in bed stuy by my house that was suprisingly nice)) and to ride a bike (free) or get an unlimited metrocard for the month ($82) so you're not dumping a ton on transportation. you will almost never need to take a cab which is really good at draining your pockets.