usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I am okay feeling like a douche bag if I can get into a museum for a pocket full of change.

Any specific recomendations for places to look for/avoid in China town?

new green bo on bayard street has great xio long bao and scallion pancakes. together that should run you ~ $8-9 w/ tax and tip. enough food to sustain you for rong time.

Did the hot waitress at Minca have a husky voice that is a bit of a mismatch to what she looks like? then i concur with herp's assessment. I thought about making stalking plans to go back to Minca, but I've been too busy, too health conscious, and the pricepoint vs. quality debate always leaves a native japanese like myself grumbling - ramen is supposed to be way easier on the wallet....girl like that must get hit on by dudes every shift...

Hit up the galleries in Chelsea. Free and plenty to see.

As has already been mentioned, Chinatown is definitely a great option for cheap eats. If you find yourself on the upper west side I can also recommend Koronet's Pizza on Broadway just north of 110th St. for the biggest slice of pizza in the city and Taqueria y Fonda on Amsterdam Ave. just south of 108th St. for some good tacos.

if you hit up the taqueria make sure to snap a pic of yourself with a supreme tee. actually you should hike it out to the red hook ball fields, unbelievable (and cheap) latin streetfood + you can watch some footie.

time out ny is always doing a feature on free & cheap stuff to do in the city, not sure if it's online but you might want to check it out. all that "be a free hair model for bumble & bumble" crap. it should be pretty easy to get by for cheap unless you like to drink a lot. worst case their listings always include prices & they do mention which days museums have extended hours/free admission.

for rarely mentioned landmarks, one of my favorites is the post office on church near wtc, great art deco interior.

if you hit up the taqueria make sure to snap a pic of yourself with a supreme tee.

I go to Taqueria y Fonda once in a while but I don't understand this reference.

And if you are that far uptown I actually think Grant's Tomb is really interesting. Partly because I am from the westcoast perhaps, but giant stone monuments to some old Civil War guy... mainly weird to me that anyone would construct such a monement to an individual in America.

New Museum at Bowery and Prince is free Thursdays after 7pm. I go most weeks. Really interesting experience and architecture.

This is fairly obvious but I would recommend being careful what you are cheap about.

When I was in Japan a few years ago I was way too cheap with basically everything- didn't travel around enough, didn't eat enough good food, that type of thing.

Save money when you can with cheap lunches and breakfasts, but I would recommend trying out some interesting restaurants and not limiting yourself to just free events. Concerts, films, some museums, they cost money but are worth it once in a while.

You probably already thought about this, but really I wish I didn't have regrets about how I spend money while in Japan since I don't know when I will be there again.

Have fun, it is not hard to do here.

Any specific recomendations for places to look for/avoid in China town?

Dumpling place on...Allen St.? Haven't been there in a while, but its great. 4 dumplings for $1.

Also, halal street food carts are great. $4 chicken over rice is definitely one of the best deals in the city.

Falafels + Shawarmas + the like are great also. Mamoun's is the standby, but I'm sure there are other good places for that also. Personally, I prefer the kebab at Yatagans down the street from Mamouns more, $5 bucks I think, and it's pretty freaking awesome.

There are some good cheap comedy clubs around the city also, UCB is a personal favorite, I like the Stepfathers there, and ASSCAT3000 is supposed to be good also, and all shows there are under $10.

You don't know the good spot. West 4th near the Toys R Us formerly the record store that ran out of business...

Lines for that shit. So goooood. You get a gas attack after though. Nom nom nom.

I still need to try the famous 53rd(?) street spot that's open until 3 am or some shit.

You don't know the good spot. West 4th near the Toys R Us formerly the record store that ran out of business...

Lines for that shit. So goooood. You get a gas attack after though. Nom nom nom.

I still need to try the famous 53rd(?) street spot that's open until 3 am or some shit.

53rd and 6th, right across the Hilton... they jacked up the price to $6 now

opens till about 4:30-5am

For food, there is that Mr. Falafel place near W. 4th where you can get a $2 falafel sandwich. Also, trying to buy as much from the grocery stores that will stay fresh in whatever living situation you have (dont know if there is a fridge or not) is the best way to go- esp. for breakfast. Hit up Trader Joes on 14th St. for some cheap packaged food.

Entertainment: I support whoever mentioned UCB on a Sunday night (go around 6 or 7 to stand in line to make sure you can get in cause its free). Also, any of their other productions (under $10) are sure to be good for some laughs. Definitely some legendary improv artists have come through that place.

Sightseeing: Brooklyn Museum (right by where I live); it has the Murakami exhibit going on right now if you're into it and a pretty good permanent collection of Feminist Art (amongst all of the established "traditional" art that you would expect of such an institution). Plus nearby is the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens which are free Saturday mornings. And, there is a great farmer's market at nearby Grand Army Plaza's on Sat. mornings too with great local produce, breads, cheeses, and some girls that rival those that shop at the LES Whole Foods. I basically just planned out one whole Saturday for you.

For food, there is that Mr. Falafel place near W. 4th where you can get a $2 falafel sandwich. Also, trying to buy as much from the grocery stores that will stay fresh in whatever living situation you have (dont know if there is a fridge or not) is the best way to go- esp. for breakfast. Hit up Trader Joes on 14th St. for some cheap packaged food.

Entertainment: I support whoever mentioned UCB on a Sunday night (go around 6 or 7 to stand in line to make sure you can get in cause its free). Also, any of their other productions (under $10) are sure to be good for some laughs. Definitely some legendary improv artists have come through that place.

Sightseeing: Brooklyn Museum (right by where I live); it has the Murakami exhibit going on right now if you're into it and a pretty good permanent collection of Feminist Art (amongst all of the established "traditional" art that you would expect of such an institution). Plus nearby is the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens which are free Saturday mornings. And, there is a great farmer's market at nearby Grand Army Plaza's on Sat. mornings too with great local produce, breads, cheeses, and some girls that rival those that shop at the LES Whole Foods. I basically just planned out one whole Saturday for you.

brooklyn farmers market bitches def rival whole foods bitches. where do these women come from?!?! how do they exist?!?!

food is generally better and cheaper over in queens (but no atmosphere).

but there are tons of good cheap little dives all over the place. you'd be surprised at how cheaply you could get by and still get some good stuff, if you look just a little.

and for entertainment, there are tons of window shopping to do, cool bookstores to hang out at, free days at museums, art openings to get free wine and cheese, places to walk, bridges to cross and parks to chill out at.

readytoignite, gotta +rep you for that my dude

cart food is bangin. i love the taco joint near 96th and broadway train station in the upper west side. its open mad late. 2 bucks a taco, get the green sauce. plan your days out so you dont waste money on the train.. go to the metropolitan museum, donation entry. Hit some thrift shops on st. marks place and that area. Go the boroughs if you want cheap and bomb dinners, specifically queens. buy whatever supreme is selling and resell it on ebay to finance your time in nyc. go to chinatown/LES area, usually cheap places, dumplings, etc. i like pho, so i always hit a vietnamese place too.