usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I think that is the case with most of these Japanese chains, Santoka, Setaga-ya. Ippudo also seem to have some people who are sent in from japan, but I am sure they will take off once they think the place will be ok with local hires.

Santoka and Setaga-ya have both dropped off in terms of quality. But I recently walked by Yoshino-ya and saw that they do pretty well (one by Time Sq). I guess bastardized food sells better than authentic shit. If you think that is bad, you haven't seen nothing yet - some of the 'sushi' spots in New York are straight-up scary.

I think that is the case with most of these Japanese chains, Santoka, Setaga-ya. Ippudo also seem to have some people who are sent in from japan, but I am sure they will take off once they think the place will be ok with local hires.

Santoka and Setaga-ya have both dropped off in terms of quality. But I recently walked by Yoshino-ya and saw that they do pretty well (one by Time Sq). I guess bastardized food sells better than authentic shit. If you think that is bad, you haven't seen nothing yet - some of the 'sushi' spots in New York are straight-up scary.

Setagaya had a korean staff when they first opened up, I heard the cooks talking to each other in korean. Santoka recently switched to a korean counter staff, dont know about the cooks.

Speaking of scary, avoid Inagiku, nastiest kitchen ever.

Setaga-ya is all about the hype, but im with you. Minca is the best bowl of ramen in new york city. I am yet to try Ippudo however. I cannot understand though why the fuck Minca doesn't cook their egg like Setaga-ya...

With all the hype Setaga-ya is getting, Minca is still my favorite.

We went to Corner Bistro for lunch this last Wednesday.. I was far from impressed.

The burger was too seared for my liking, the meat was underseasoned, and everything else on the plate was substandard.

We went to Corner Bistro for lunch this last Wednesday.. I was far from impressed.

The burger was too seared for my liking, the meat was underseasoned, and everything else on the plate was substandard.

I went today (saturday) ! well.. yesterday techinically cuz its now 1:22am est.

the biggest flaw in my mind was already said. UNDERSEASONED. just felt like eating a burger straight out of the package basically which accounted for the texture of the meat when bitten into like a post grind then grill immeadiately.

HOWEVER ! the thick slice of bacon was tasty and crunchy

ya well i can cross corner bistro off my burger stop list.

They pretty much reheat precooked burgers these days, that place has gone downhill like 5 years ago

They pretty much reheat precooked burgers these days, that place has gone downhill like 5 years ago

This i know isn't true for a fact.. I watched them handshape raw beef and put it into a cage which they place into a double broiler.

Regardless, it still wasn't amazing.

This i know isn't true for a fact.. I watched them handshape raw beef and put it into a cage which they place into a double broiler.

Regardless, it still wasn't amazing.

I've actually seen them reheat precooked burgers, this during the afterwork crowd rush.

I was in disbelief when I saw the cook press down on the burger and squeeze out the juices.

I've actually seen them reheat precooked burgers, this during the afterwork crowd rush.

I was in disbelief when I saw the cook press down on the burger and squeeze out the juices.

:eek: was my expression when i saw him smush down on that patty... iunno hopefully it wasnt a full push down to cook faster smush but rather a light smush to check doneness smush. less give more well done.. more give more raw if smushed.

I went to the Ippudo soft opening on Saturday and I thought the place really gimicky. there's alot of random stuff on the menu, including sushi which is off putting... I also find it strange that they have $100 bottles of sake in a ramen store...

aside from adapting the store to something more new york, not only was the noodle hardness not an option, it was actually over cooked! the pork itself was not as tender as the roppongi stores but the soup was still ok (the akamaru). and um... they also served miso and shoyu ramens...

oh yea forgot the point i was trying to make- minca is still a strong contender in the ramen game even with ippudo around.

ippudo, ok noodles, so-so soup base, and 2 cold cut thin slices of char sui for 13? unless they get their act together, i dont think im goin back again

I went to the Ippudo soft opening on Saturday and I thought the place really gimicky. there's alot of random stuff on the menu, including sushi which is off putting... I also find it strange that they have $100 bottles of sake in a ramen store...

aside from adapting the store to something more new york, not only was the noodle hardness not an option, it was actually over cooked! the pork itself was not as tender as the roppongi stores but the soup was still ok (the akamaru). and um... they also served miso and shoyu ramens...

oh yea forgot the point i was trying to make- minca is still a strong contender in the ramen game even with ippudo around.

apparently, it's "ramen dining"

i.e. it's just not eat-ramen-and-get-out ala japanese style ramen restaurant. it's more like a sit down place with sake and other stuff like sushi