hey

semibored

• Pip
  • 168 posts
  • joined 05 december 07

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

pod hotel?

http://www.thepodhotel.com/

This place looks really fucking cool, but is a little bit pricey. My boss actually recommended I stay there, since he spent the night there once and really liked it. Maybe if I budget this out well I could afford it.

#632 dnarnya

dnarnya

superbored

• Pip
  • 320 posts
  • joined 09 april 06

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Have you thought about getting some friends to go with you? split a hotel room? Manhattan is where you want to be... Have you considered credit card debt -- everyones doing it.
[URL="http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15601"][/URL]

#633 MikeN

MikeN

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,219 posts
  • joined 04 january 06

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Seriously. Where would SuperFuture be without credit card debt??

#634 hey

hey

semibored

• Pip
  • 168 posts
  • joined 05 december 07

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

I've tried to get a few friends to come along, and I have a few who have tentatively agreed, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if they get their shit together than pissed off and totally fucked of they don't.

And as far as credit card debt, well, I am using a credit card to take this trip, but I'm trying not to max it out or ruin my credit or anything.

I did find a friend to crash with for two nights, which alleviates a lot of stress.

Now: Where's the NYC shopping thread?

#635 MikeN

MikeN

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,219 posts
  • joined 04 january 06

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

This whole forum is a NYC shopping thread!

#636 jeepster

jeepster

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,994 posts
  • joined 10 april 07
  • biography:smoking makes you holy.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Going to see the pillows. They've been a favorite band of mine ever since I was an animu-loving middle-schooler, and even though I'm 21 and in college now I still keep up with all their singles and album releases. They're probably my favorite band hands down and they tour the US infrequently and without warning.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be looking into your suggestions.

where are the pillows playing???? i'd kill to see them. my old band used to do covers of their stuff, naked shuffle" "hybrid rainbow" etc...

#637 hey

hey

semibored

• Pip
  • 168 posts
  • joined 05 december 07

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

They're playing at Blender Theater at Gramercy on the 21st. They're also doing two California shows. There's more info at their myspace: www.myspace.com/thepillows though I guess you could deduce that.

I always said that if I had a band, we'd have to play a cover of Skeleton Liar. Alas, I have never been in a band.

#638 bronsnine

bronsnine

semibored

• Pip
  • 149 posts
  • joined 21 march 07

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Now: Where's the NYC shopping thread?

the actual new york superfuture site?
@@@@@@@@@@

#639 cw

cw

semibored

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • joined 22 january 05

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

hey, i can't get any decent frames where i live. so i'm going to be visiting nyc soon and wanted to know if anyone could throw out some decent places to pick some up that take VSP insurance. it's pretty common, so i figure some people may know from their own experience. thanks.

#640 SENDkylHISPASSWORD

SENDkylHISPASSWORD

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,365 posts
  • joined 24 october 05

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

try moscot in the l.e.s.

also for frames (no lenses) fabulous fannys in the east village

#641 cw

cw

semibored

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • joined 22 january 05

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

moscot accepts vsp? that is amazing!

#642 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Chinatown isnt bad these days. I like Mott Street Optical on the corner of Mott and Bayard.

#643 SENDkylHISPASSWORD

SENDkylHISPASSWORD

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,365 posts
  • joined 24 october 05

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

i don't know - i just said to try them, they are pretty legit so maybe - i don't even know what vsp is

#644 MikeN

MikeN

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,219 posts
  • joined 04 january 06

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Brissy. He's fucking with you. East New York is probably the worst place in NY to live in.

#645 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

alot of places like myoptics, moscot, etc dont take insurance but they'll fill out the forms for you, so you pay everything up front and pray that the insurance company reimburses you.

Most chinatown places will gladly take insurance.

#646 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

i think there's a place in chelsea that's pretty good - what i usu do is use the provider locator and x-reference against the oliver peoples stockists page. feel free to insert your favorite brand.

to all of you people throwing out your favorite eyeglass store, the point is to keep in-network and take advantage of mad discounts.

Stevenson OC, Ten C, OG Uniqlo collabs, tech sundries:

http://supertalk.sup...-tech-sundries/

#647 jubei

jubei

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,148 posts
  • joined 24 august 05

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

fyi, moscot doesn't accept vsp on their store frames... so if you thought you were going to cop them for like 20 bucks, no such luck.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I think Grand Central Opticians takes VSP. though their stuff is a little more high end, it may have the "nicer" stuff you're looking for. The only frames that I was into at Moscot were a pair of name brand frames that were pretty pricey, so I thought that I'd just look elsewhere instead.
Warehouse 660 # 212: Weekend Warrior Club!

I would like to go to the office wearing my SOFU 660 under suit like superman.

#648 cw

cw

semibored

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • joined 22 january 05

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

ah, so there are two moscots. one being the retro-ish place, the other a regular-type optician? i'll look into grand central opticians too. thanks

#649 readytoignite

readytoignite

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • joined 17 january 07

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

ok, the place i was thinking of is manhattan eyeworks on 23rd st. great place, i only changed because my work changed their plans. i think they also have a dental practice which is weird but cool.

Stevenson OC, Ten C, OG Uniqlo collabs, tech sundries:

http://supertalk.sup...-tech-sundries/

#650 jubei

jubei

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,148 posts
  • joined 24 august 05

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

^ how did you like their selection? was it pretty good? also, how was the service (i.e. eye check up etc.)

if you were pretty happy with your experience I may trek down there... otherwise, it's a bit of a haul for me from work.

I refuse to go back to Cohen's after some dude basically cracked my fucking frames in two places, while demonstrating to me how brittle my frames were. WTF. all I did was walk in to get them adjusted...
Warehouse 660 # 212: Weekend Warrior Club!

I would like to go to the office wearing my SOFU 660 under suit like superman.

#651 hey

hey

semibored

• Pip
  • 168 posts
  • joined 05 december 07

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Alright, I appreaciate all the help you guys have given me. I've booked plane tickets, bought the concert tickets, and my lodging is all in order. I also checked out the main superfuture NYC page and learned a good deal from that. You've all been immensely helpful.

So now I ask this:

Are there any must-go, must-eat, must-see places in NYC that might be a bit below the radar, i.e. not on the superfuture page, not commonly known to tourists, etc?

I'd really like to make the most out of my four days there.

#652 ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite

semibored

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • joined 08 june 07
  • biography:full-time consumer/part-time lover.
  • talents:fixies, macs, gear ratios.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

Going to see the pillows. They've been a favorite band of mine ever since I was an animu-loving middle-schooler, and even though I'm 21 and in college now I still keep up with all their singles and album releases. They're probably my favorite band hands down and they tour the US infrequently and without warning.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be looking into your suggestions.

shut the fuck up! they're coming back to NYC?!

i saw them there when they played the knitting factory and it was effing GRAND.

#653 ericdw

ericdw

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • joined 03 june 06

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

I just got a new dSLR, and would like to learn how to do more. Nikon offers one that I'm planning on doing, so i can learn about my camera, but can anyone recommend a good general photography class? thanks
fiveagain on sohoADDICT:

wow. you have quite possibly got the worst sufu name i've ever seen. are you by any chance from jersey?

#654 Ari Gold

Ari Gold

semibored

• Pip
  • 102 posts
  • joined 29 october 07

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

my buddy got offered a job in Manhattan at MLG's headquarters so he has to relocate there and im gonna put some money up for the initial deposit and first/last month's rent therefore im gonna go with him..im sure there are a few ppl from NY here so if anyone knows any decent places for rent or areas to look that are easily accessible to Manhattan id appreciate any info.
[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=273243627&MyToken=2017175c-29a1-4817-a690-59ec22870cde"][/URL]

#655 the_state

the_state

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • joined 30 august 06

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

BK:

Fort Greene is where the cool kids play these days, but it's already way overpriced, just like much of Brooklyn.

Prospect Heights is a little hyped, but i don't think there's anything "worthy" going on. Proximity to Prospect Park is nice, but it's still a lil rough around the edges.

Bed-Stuy is supposedly up and coming, but I can't really get past the fact that it's BED FUCKING STUY!

Avoid Bushwick. At all costs.

QNS:

Deals can still be had Astoria. It's super close to NYC too, on a great subway line.

If your buddy is ballin', he prob afford something in Manhattan. Expect to pay up to 2k+ for a 1br/studio in a "desirable" 'hood. It prob won't be the nicest place either.

If he needs to live on the island of Manhattan and doesn't have baller dollaz, tell him to check out Washington Heights. It's waaaaaaaaaaay up there, but there are nice deals.
Sell me your Supreme Timberline Jacket in XL (Green or Brown).

#656 peteyross

peteyross

superbored

• Pip
  • 492 posts
  • joined 16 november 04

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

New York is the largest and most expensive city in the country with very distinct neighborhoods. Try to narrow it down a bit first and I think you'll get better responses. What do you want to spend? What type of place do you want to live in? How close to the train do you need to be? What vibe are you looking for?

#657 Ari Gold

Ari Gold

semibored

• Pip
  • 102 posts
  • joined 29 october 07

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:34 PM

basically from what ive discussed with others who've had experience living in NY or live in NY now i'm thinking Brooklyn or Queens is gonna be our best bet.
there will be 2 of us splitting a place so we are looking to spend about $1500 a month roughly on a place total..possibly a little more if needed be.
we would need transportation to be relatively close because he will need to travel to work daily..his job is in manhattan across from the empire state building.
as far as the type of place and vibe we are looking for we are pretty open..we are going to take the train up from philly here in april to check some places out so we can get a feel for the places first hand to see what fits our lifestyle best
thanks for breaking down the 2 the_state.. that info will be very helpful.
[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=273243627&MyToken=2017175c-29a1-4817-a690-59ec22870cde"][/URL]

#658 down4nyhc

down4nyhc

superbored

• Pip
  • 592 posts
  • joined 08 march 06

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

i'm looking for apts as well right now. i was on the verge of signing a lease for a duplex in greenpoint when i showed up to take a look at it one more time on a rainy day and found the super sweeping water out of the lower floor of the apt. people are shady as hell and they will try to lock you into lease before telling you about most important things.

brokers are a dime a dozen so be careful who you deal with. unfortunately there are not enough apts. at normal prices so they disappear quickly and brokers know that so they put least amount of effort into actually trying to help people. good forum to read in terms of finding out facts about brooklyn neighborhoods is brooklynian.com. i think there is also a thread in there about peoples' experiences from dealing with various brokers.

as mentioned before stay out of bushwick. ridgewood is pretty nice unfortunately the M train is slow and unreliabe. queens is nice but there is absolutely nothing there in terms of culture and shopping other than PS1. sunnyside is pretty good these days with the 7 train running well and a bunch of food stores and restaurants around.

#659 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Did you try this thread?

http://www.superfutu...ead.php?t=17608

there will be 2 of us splitting a place so we are looking to spend about $1500 a month roughly on a place total..possibly a little more if needed be

Good luck finding a nice 2 bedroom for that price.

#660 peteyross

peteyross

superbored

• Pip
  • 492 posts
  • joined 16 november 04

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

At $1500, you're gonna be quite far from the city and realistically, this might price you out of Brooklyn entirely. Sure you can probably find a $1500 2BR in BK but it's not likely to get you excited. To get the most out of your dollar, you should really scour Astoria for a no fee (ie no broker) apartment. Finding a no fee apartment will allow you to go up a few hundred dollars a month in rent and still come out the same economically. It's worth the time and effort if you're not under a strict timeline.

I think you could probably land a 2BR in Astoria for b/w $1750 and $2000 but it's likely to be about 10 minute walk from the train. There are still deals to be had in Astoria relative to other neighborhoods though, especially when you're comparing neighborhoods with young people.

Just as a barometer the average studio in Manhattan is running at about ~$1900 with nicer ones getting close to ~$3000. Prime neighborhoods in Brooklyn aren't going to be too far behind.