usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

• 3 weeks later...
Hi can anyone provide an update on the suburbs to look into? Looking to move to ny in a years time with a friend, where its a relatively safe place. Don't mind commutting for 30 minutes or more maybe.

east new york is nice, in 70th Precinct, Canarsie aint bad either

east new york is nice, in 70th Precinct, Canarsie aint bad either

Thanks +. This sounds really naive but are those neighbourhoods safe for asian people?

Is craiglist the best place to search online, I've heard mixd stories?

In terms of finding a job, how easy is it to find one once I get there? I'm the equivalent to a CPA but not sure how firms are willing to sponsor in the US so I'd be willing to work a hospitality job whilst I look for work in finance. I just can't afford to fly back and forth for interviews nor wait around to get seconded to NY so I'm pretty keen just to move there and get stuck into it.

Thanks +. This sounds really naive but are those neighbourhoods safe for asian people?

to give you an idea

East NY Condos are selling like hotcakes

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2007/12/sales_hummin_at.php

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2007/09/sales_begin_at.php

• 2 weeks later...

So I may very well be traveling to NYC in mid-late March, and while I'm perfectly capable of lining up air fare, I'm a little baffled as to what to do for lodging. I usually don't travel alone, but since I am this time, I don't have the usual family members who plan all the hotel accomodations and whatnot.

What I'm asking is this: where is the best place to stay for the cheapest amount of money?

I don't care much about quality. I'll sleep in a dirty basement if it's $15 a night. However, I'd like some sort of middle area if possible. I've heard staying outside the city and taking a train in is the best option, but I have no idea what constitutes "outside the city" or how to look for hotels there.

Additionally, what's good to do in the city, given that I know absolutely no one who lives there?

Believe me, I'd love to, but there's no way in hell I can afford it. I'm a college student who basically lives paycheck to paycheck. This trip is extremely exceptional and I wouldn't be making it if it weren't for for the fact that I want to see a specific band that may never play in the US again. Manhattan hotels seem prohibitively expensive, as they're all $150 a night and upwards.

Edit: I was sorting wrong on all these travel websites. Didn't realize they were sorting by "pics" and not "price." Some Manhattan hotels seem to be about $88 a night which might be feasible.

Edit2: Hostels also seem like a super cheap option.

http://www.broadwayhotelnyc.com/index.asp

That place basically offers 4 days (in a dorm, granted) for like $80. Anyone have any hostel recommendations? They seem super sketchy...

what band are you going to see?

Going to see the pillows. They've been a favorite band of mine ever since I was an animu-loving middle-schooler, and even though I'm 21 and in college now I still keep up with all their singles and album releases. They're probably my favorite band hands down and they tour the US infrequently and without warning.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be looking into your suggestions.