usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

one of my frineds used glenn jason and wasn't too happy. he said for 60$, you can get a cut that's just as good and not deal w/ the hassle of booking 3 months in advance and dealish with his diva-like demeanor. he also said the word "rock star" was thrown around about 25 times.

it was pretty cool there. good haircut, and glenn wasn't even there... i had trace cut mine, real down to earth guy, definitely not a diva.

I went to Hair Mates for the first time last week based on what I heard about it on here. It was great. Ive paid over $100 for similar service and will never make that mistake again. Everyone took their time even though the place was packed.

I tipped the lady 10 and the washer 3.

• 4 weeks later...

i tried setagaya last week

ive never tried momofuku so i don't really have a basis for comparison

but setagaya wasn't that great.

i think id rather go to the ramen place next to hairmates.

FYI, setagaya isn't japanese owned. most people who were lining up were non-japanese too.

-2 cents from a real japanese man

yeah setagaya sucks. so disappointed.

i hope ippudo is going to be run and operated by japanese people. there is no good ramen in new york. there i said it.

I've given up on ramen in NYC too. I've been going to Soba Koh and Uminoie a lot recently. The akamiso at Uminoie is damn good.

superramenconfession:

i often went to cafe duke's on 51st bet 6th and 7th for korean ramen. the noodle was completely instant. but i liked it for what it was. reminded me of college and home a bit.

haha, I may have been in line with you! My office moved though and now I'm only a block from Menkuitei and Menchankotei so if I'm really jonesing for some ramen, I just go there.

On a related noodle note, who's got the best Kistune Udon ?

menkuitei is not bad. it's definitely not good.

Of all the crappy ramen in NYC, I think that Menkuitei ranks fairly high up. So it's like being a starter on the JV team.

Next question: anyone ever try that curry place that opened in the west 30's? I remember seeing ads for it but I haven't checked it out.

whenever i eat at menkuitei i ask them to put in extra soup stock.

petey, you must be talking about go-go kare. supposed to be alright, haven't been though.

is that the katsu-curry joint?

i was reading japion and saw an ad for a katsu-curry place....