usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I love going to John Allan's. I always manage to get a free service card from Barney's, so I get a full treatment for free. :)

any tips on how to get the free card?? :)

Do any of the good sneaker stores in New York have web logs which they update with incoming inventory and stuff? It seems as though most of the big ones just have normal websites with directions or whatever.

I am used to how HUF does it, with the news blog.

Thanks.

I'm not a guy, but I've gone to Glenn Jason a few times (so have a few of my friends and my sister). He's cool. His cuts always look great when they grow out, he's really precise. He works out of his apartment so it's a kinda laid back feeling, too. I need to get my haircut pretty soon and probably will go back to him, but I can't say how his men's cuts are.

any tips on how to get the free card?? :)

Buy any three John Allans items at Barneys. I usually get shampoo, conditioner and pomade or gel, and it costs about $40. Granted, it's about twice what I usually paid before finding out about them, but the salon treatment more than makes up for the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

i kinda view pinching pennies when it comes to hair like actively looking for discount sushi on a monday.

w/ that said- i HAVE paid hundreds many times at bumble and bumble and found styles just as good; sometimes better, at hairmates for a fraction of the cost @ b&b.

addendum: yeah alma is VERY hot!

I'm looking for a good salon in NYC that does unique styles for guys hair. If you can reccomend a good salon in NYC I would appreciate it. Thanks.

ps: If I didn't put this in the right forum, feel free to move it.

i tend to frequent Salon Vijin in rockerfeller center.

kino from hairmates was pretty good. i didn't really have to tell him much, apart from "make it a little shorter" and "i got my last haircut 5-6 weeks ago". i'm pretty sure the man cut every hair on my head.

i don't know if i'll go back, only b/c the guy i normally use in chinatown charges almost 1/2 of what kino does ($25), and kino's cut is only margianlly better.

thanks to this thread i made an appt with Kino on friday. ill see how he does compared to my usual stylist.

also noticed on their site Kaz from the same place i frequent works there too. interesting

i just called glenn jason and got an appointment for saturday with trace

anyone have experience with her (him?)?

i went to suite 303 last time i needed a hair cut and it was ok - my hair ended up really well styled (textured, etc) but the guy changed my part and didn't realize i have a callic (sp?)

how is this hairmates place with walk-ins? i'd like to go early friday, or sometime in the afternoon (before 3:00pm est), but i can't commit to an appointment because i don't know what time of the day i'll be free.

I don't know much about their walk-in policy but I've made appointments on the same day i wanted get a haircut.

When I went earlier this year, I made an appt 2 hours before the haircut.

You should give them a call.

IMO, kino wasn't as good as I had expected. He doesn't talk a whole lot.

Maybe he was tired

*NOTE

Go to the one near St. Marks, not the midtown one.

when i lived in new york i went down the street to neighborhood barbers - $12 at 9th st. and Ave. a. probably not a good choice if you need a really precise cut or if you have long hair.

edit: if you want a good and expensive haircut massimo at bumble & bumble in midtown is the only person i have ever been really particularly impressed with but watch out it was $120 after tip.

when i lived in new york i went down the street to neighborhood barbers - $12 at 9th st. and Ave. a. probably not a good choice if you need a really precise cut or if you have long hair.

edit: if you want a good and expensive haircut massimo at bumble & bumble in midtown is the only person i have ever been really particularly impressed with but watch out it was $120 after tip.

how much was it before tip?

$100.

do you think any of the staff there can accomplish the hairstyles found in those japanese hair catalogs, or should i look else where for that kind of thing?

do you think any of the staff there can accomplish the hairstyles found in those japanese hair catalogs, or should i look else where for that kind of thing?

most stylists at high end salons generally wouldn't be too familiar with those styles i don't think (i think the majority are hacks, which is why i went to barbers in nyc), but b&b has a ton of stylists (i think they have a few salons in the city now). i would call and just ask the receptionist specifically what you're looking for. i've been to a few different stylists there on trips and they were all very good and very interested in technique, did fashion shows and editorial, etc.

I don't know much about their walk-in policy but I've made appointments on the same day i wanted get a haircut.

When I went earlier this year, I made an appt 2 hours before the haircut.

You should give them a call.

IMO, kino wasn't as good as I had expected. He doesn't talk a whole lot.

Maybe he was tired

*NOTE

Go to the one near St. Marks, not the midtown one.

the one in astor place? okay. will do.

i'll try to give them a call tomorrow. thanks.

the one in astor place? okay. will do.

i'll try to give them a call tomorrow. thanks.

yeah mang

the dude (forgot his name) who wears a complete technique necklace is really good.

(that thang reed space sells - it looks like a speaker)

apparently, hairmates has a salon in my hometown in tokyo

lalz

most stylists at high end salons generally wouldn't be too familiar with those styles i don't think (i think the majority are hacks, which is why i went to barbers in nyc), but b&b has a ton of stylists (i think they have a few salons in the city now). i would call and just ask the receptionist specifically what you're looking for. i've been to a few different stylists there on trips and they were all very good and very interested in technique, did fashion shows and editorial, etc.

one more question: if your current stylist always cut your hair good, but was never really what you showed her according to the picture you brought in and wanted, and never really gave you an explanation as to why, would you look elsewhere or trust her expertise?

one more question: if your current stylist always cut your hair good, but was never really what you showed her according to the picture you brought in and wanted, and never really gave you an explanation as to why, would you look elsewhere or trust her expertise?

i feel really gay for saying this shit but whatever if the shoes fits.

i would definitely go elsewhere. you might guide her more toward the photo by asking her "shorter here" or whatever but she is probably just doing whatever the fuck she wants which is not what you are paying her for. fuck that.

then again, maybe she is doing you a favor by translating some aspects of the haircut you bring in to a style that might be much more suitable for you.

if i were you i'd start fresh with someone new and at the outset ask them if they can do what you want them to, and if they can't or don't want to do it, why. don't be shy about this shit. it can be artwork or whatever to some people but it's your hair you have to walk around with so don't let some hair dresser pussywhip you around.

i feel really gay for saying this shit but whatever if the shoes fits.

i would definitely go elsewhere. you might guide her more toward the photo by asking her "shorter here" or whatever but she is probably just doing whatever the fuck she wants which is not what you are paying her for. fuck that.

then again, maybe she is doing you a favor by translating some aspects of the haircut you bring in to a style that might be much more suitable for you.

if i were you i'd start fresh with someone new and at the outset ask them if they can do what you want them to, and if they can't or don't want to do it, why. don't be shy about this shit. it can be artwork or whatever to some people but it's your hair you have to walk around with so don't let some hair dresser pussywhip you around.

Start somewhere new that you know is reputable. Even if you're not sure if a style will suit you, just tell the stylist that you want to try even if it looks like it won't come out that well. I'm sure a good stylist will use some restraint but it sounds like you've been getting shafted. It takes a few haircuts (good and bad) with a good stylist to hone in on what looks good and for the stylist to tell how your hair grows out.

i just called glenn jason and got an appointment for saturday with trace

anyone have experience with her (him?)?

i went to suite 303 last time i needed a hair cut and it was ok - my hair ended up really well styled (textured, etc) but the guy changed my part and didn't realize i have a callic (sp?)

one of my frineds used glenn jason and wasn't too happy. he said for 60$, you can get a cut that's just as good and not deal w/ the hassle of booking 3 months in advance and dealish with his diva-like demeanor. he also said the word "rock star" was thrown around about 25 times.