1885 replies to this topic

#391 glenn

glenn

semibored

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • joined 20 october 06

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

im camping out for a night at the manhattan inn hostel on 30th street on the 26th of aug. if anyone's staying there as well just holla.

#392 peteyross

peteyross

superbored

• Pip
  • 492 posts
  • joined 16 november 04

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Not to derail, but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question:

What are some izakayas and yakitori places that NYC sufuers like? Is Yakitori Toto still the standard or are there any other places that might not be as well know but equally enjoyable? I need to get my izakaya action on, but I'd rather not have to trek uptown...thanks.

Yakitori Totto is still the king as far as quality is concerned. Their sister restaurant, Aburiya Kinnosuke is also great but it doesn't seem as popular as Yakitori Totto.

I ate at Uminoie for the first time this weekend. The udon was the most unique I've had (either in Japan or in NYC). Uminoie is true homecooking with a small restaurant vibe. The chick who cooks behind the counter is from Goto Island and her broth recipe is awesome. She also made some very distinctive akamiso. Overall I'd say the menu has an izakaya slant, but it's not traditional izakaya.

#393 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

hmm, i haven't found a yakitori place i like better than totto yet, either. too bad people seem to know about it, too. it's always crowded there.

this is a side-note that i've mentioned before, but the best yakitori i've had in this country was actually in dallas, tx of all places. a joint called teppo.

izakaya-wise, i find kenka to be just fine for its value and accessibility.

#394 sleazie ninja number 47

sleazie ninja number 47

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • joined 29 november 05

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

I ate at Uminoie for the first time this weekend. The udon was the most unique I've had (either in Japan or in NYC). Uminoie is true homecooking with a small restaurant vibe. The chick who cooks behind the counter is from Goto Island and her broth recipe is awesome. She also made some very distinctive akamiso. Overall I'd say the menu has an izakaya slant, but it's not traditional izakaya.

wow, that sounds right up my alley. I'm a sucker for good broth, even in the dead heat of the summer. Will check it out this week. Thanks.

chicken yeah its unfortunate that totto is both so popular and so small. I lived in Hells Kitchen for a couple of years so it wasnt a big deal just to stop by to see about availability. Good thing is, is that its open late, but its usually filled with japanese business men after 11 pm.

However, since you are "chicken," shouldnt you have vip status there?

Kenka is decent, I just dont find eating on St. Marks that enjoyable a experience.

#395 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

teppo is a great name for a place in texas.

kenka is a good value because the beer is super cheap.

however, for food, the best izakaya in new york, imho, is geido in brooklyn. really good sushi and the regular izakaya fare, done well.

#396 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

I walked by a new yakitori place in the upper east called Torishin, looking at the menu, it seems more expensive than Totto and Torys.

#397 ryker01

ryker01

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 21 may 07

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

pork neck ramen at Momofuku. Throw in a pork bun and i'm a happy man

#398 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

I walked by a new yakitori place in the upper east called Torishin, looking at the menu, it seems more expensive than Totto and Torys.

My sister went there, she says it's better than Totto/Tory's - my coworkers have told me the same.

#399 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

^ mmm, another one on my list. thanks guys.

#400 aan den rijn

aan den rijn

semibored

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • joined 15 july 06
  • biography:If I'm not wearing a suit to dinner (Aquascutum, Armani, YSL, or Zegna), it's just not right
  • location:San Diego/Los Angeles/Montreal/Boston/Suzhou, China
  • talents:history and shopping, history of shopping
  • occupation:professional partier, travel agent, real estate guru overseas, professional student

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

I've stayed at the huge one at the corner of Amsterdam and 103rd as well as the Chelsea Star next to Madison Square Garden. They're both dirt cheap and decent as hostels go. The Chelsea Star is a bit more convenient nightlife wise but it's pretty loud when and if you do want to take a nap or something (Metal floors, who's bright idea is that).

#401 Guest_mattes_*

Guest_mattes_*
  • joined --

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

There is one in Chelsea on 20th between 8 and 7 ave. Good location and cheap.
http://www.chelseahostel.com/

#402 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

alright, went to torishin last night. food, atmosphere and presentation were good. (their condiments were quite authentic and tasty too.) and it was easy to reserve a seat for four.

but just a warning: they don't serve ala carte menu before 10pm, so the cheapest thing you can get on the menu is a $40 course per person. personally, i prefer a yakitori joint to be more casual, at the end of the day.

#403 sleazie ninja number 47

sleazie ninja number 47

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • joined 29 november 05

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

alright, went to torishin last night. food, atmosphere and presentation were good. (their condiments were quite authentic and tasty too.) and it was easy to reserve a seat for four.

but just a warning: they don't serve ala carte menu before 10pm, so the cheapest thing you can get on the menu is a $40 course per person. personally, i prefer a yakitori joint to be more casual, at the end of the day.

is it a tasting menu of sorts? $40 seems reasonable, but i guess not if you're lookin for just a bowl of noodles.

#404 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

so I cant order 10 sticks of bonchiri before 10, that sucks

#405 Chicken

Chicken

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • joined 19 may 06

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:18 AM

is it a tasting menu of sorts? $40 seems reasonable, but i guess not if you're lookin for just a bowl of noodles.

it's more of a course menu, iirc starting with an appetizer (was goya champuruu in our case), then followed by about six different skewers per person, then a rice dish (oyakodon, soborodon or ochazuke) and finally a dessert (for us, it was a choice between shiso sorbet or yogurt icecream).

just noticed you used to live in hell's kitchen. i lived there for a year too. lots of good eats around there, and totally agree with you about st. mark's area in general.

so I cant order 10 sticks of bonchiri before 10, that sucks

you could, but only AFTER you've ordered a course menu. then you can order ala carte on the side. either that or get there after 10. strange.

#406 sleazie ninja number 47

sleazie ninja number 47

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • joined 29 november 05

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:28 AM

just noticed you used to live in hell's kitchen. i lived there for a year too. lots of good eats around there, and totally agree with you about st. mark's area in general.

I lived right across the street from Churascaria Plataforma for 2.5 years (on 50th bet. 8th and 9th), and I must say the 15 block stretch from 42nd to 57th on 9th avenue has some of the most diverse, affordable, convenient and delectable food the city has to offer.

#407 Liberation1945

Liberation1945

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  • joined 05 december 06

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

affordable? why iz you foolin yaselvezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted Image

#408 Swych

Swych

superbored

• Pip
  • 494 posts
  • joined 06 october 04

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

I lived right across the street from Churascaria Plataforma for 2.5 years (on 50th bet. 8th and 9th), and I must say the 15 block stretch from 42nd to 57th on 9th avenue has some of the most diverse, affordable, convenient and delectable food the city has to offer.

duude. tell me i live on 42nd and i hate that strip. could you pm me a list of places to go so i dont junk up this thread?! show me the light....

#409 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

plataforma has some cute brazilian bar maids. i celebrated my 21st birthday there and the bartender wanted to take me out after work. i'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking that offer. i ended up just getting plastered at my apartment, waking up under a table. :(

#410 Fuuma

Fuuma

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  • joined 03 may 05
  • style:tropical
  • attitude:chilled
  • biography:40 y/o eurotrash

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

plataforma has some cute brazilian bar maids. i celebrated my 21st birthday there and the bartender wanted to take me out after work. i'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking that offer. i ended up just getting plastered at my apartment, waking up under a table. :(

Think what you could have woke up under...shame on you.

#411 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

juicy brazilian bunda. :(

#412 cuddlysheep

cuddlysheep

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • joined 02 january 07

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

off topic,but finally had orion beer. pretty good.

#413 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

orion beer is a great beer, the beer of okinawa. it's perfect for the summer. in okinawa, orion beer holds the orion beer fest. cheap beer and great music and dancing. it's a great time to be in okinawa.

#414 Liberation1945

Liberation1945

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  • joined 05 december 06

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

brazilian ass is a great ass, the ass of brazil. it's perfect for the summer. in brazil, brazilian ass holds the brazilian ass fest. cheap ass and great music and dancing. it's a great time to be in brazil.
Posted Image

#415 billy dee williams

billy dee williams

superbored

• Pip
  • 936 posts
  • joined 26 july 07
  • biography:Move as close as you can and engage those Star Destroyers at point blank range.
  • talents:princess lea
  • occupation:Former Baron Administrator of Cloud City, friend of Han Solo, malt liquor spokesman

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

good thread. ive wondered this too. i need to experience real ramen, not this instant ramen bullshit.
WORKS EVERYTIME.

#416 Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy

postwhore

• 5,742 posts
  • joined 06 april 07

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

NYC again, but I just want a trim. I normally cut my own hair (have for 3 years), but I tried to do that now, and I feel like I'm going to fuck things up. My hair's pretty damn long.

#417 herpsky

herpsky

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,308 posts
  • joined 21 march 05
  • biography:ラーメン、イケメン、ボクブサメン
  • wish i was in:Macau

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

Everyone in this thread recommended Kino. Why didn't you try him? He's a great stylist.

I thought Kino was okay. Not as good as I thought he would be.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud. 

#418 Swych

Swych

superbored

• Pip
  • 494 posts
  • joined 06 october 04

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

anyone go to aki's cutting room? aki's damned masterful.

#419 TheGrapist

TheGrapist

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,466 posts
  • joined 29 november 05

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

I love going to John Allan's. I always manage to get a free service card from Barney's, so I get a full treatment for free. :)

Allow me to reintroduce myself ...

#420 wEstSidE

wEstSidE

tenrepped

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • joined 04 january 07
  • attitude:dopw
  • location:NEW YORK NEW YORK VAGABOND LOUBIZ BLOOD ALL ON MY TOEZ

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

ware 2 copp blak harecut???

sumwere i wont get stabbed 4 badmouthin biggie