usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

i love the little scallops in the soup @ setagaya

what time they open? they sell out pretty darn quick... they put up the sold out sign outside @ 8:30...

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to revive this because i'm here for 6 months and all my spend too much time in meatpacking.

anyone help a tourist? i walked into this sweet place literally hidden behidn a phonebooth while eating a hotdog last week. any more lil chill spots?

I searched for some posts on good New York Hostels but couldn't find any recommendations! If you know of a good hostel in NYC and have experience staying there please let me know what you thought! I am trying to plan a shopping trip to NYC and want to save some money on accomodations!

Thanks

Graham

I've been here for a couple weeks going out a ton; It's my first time in new york but it's been real rad so far. I like a wide variety of scenes so my list is a bit disjointed, I dont really know whats up but this is where i've had fun so far.

Hudson Bar and Books, rad little cigar bar on the edge of meatpacking that you can smoke inside. huge scotch list and they pour with a heavy hand. good place to start or end the night. friendly ppl too. Also, early in the night theres fredericks across the street. not really any sort of scene there but quality drinks and friendly people. get some key-lime shots and martini's with your date and then move along. I went to APT in meatpacking and it was OK, the basement had a great minimal dj and ppl were into it but it died out early. this was on a thursday, i don't know what their "night" is. i think you can get food upstairs. it seemed like a little more refined crowd than the untucked-striped-shirt-squared-toed-dress-shoe hooligans hording around cielo or lotus or watever the other meatpacking "hotspots" are.

I also checked out the beatrice inn which i thought was pretty cool, supposedly its "hot" or maybe is was 2 years ago and now every dick and harry wants a piece, i dunno. really it's a shit hole inside, but it was full of great ppl when we went. the bartenders were friendly, good times. They have a pretty stiff door though; the fist time i went i was there early on a tuesday with a bunch of girls and it was no problem. When i went another time later in the week with a female friend of mine we got doorjected, albeit very politely.

I'm really into the electro/new rave shit and fridays at the annex in the lower east side are RAD, it's a night called ruff-club, went there my first friday here and had a blast. saturdays there are also cool i hear. Studio B in brooklyn is great on big nights. I saw simian mobile disco there a couple weeks back and they blew my mind. Also of note, the resident djs actually play RECORDS which is refreshing.

anyone else know whats up in NYC? i'm here for another 2 weeks but now im kinda wanting to move here. energy is so great, and the ppl are remarkably friendly.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I did a search and nothing certain turned up.

Anyways, I'm going to be in NYC next week and was wondering if you guys can reccomend some AFFORDABLE vintage stores in the city. I know about the major vintage shops like What Comes Around Goes around, but their stuff is extremely over priced. I don't expect stuff to be super cheap, but I'm sure there are some good, reasonably priced places.

Thanks!

WCAG is expensive? That vintage denim bar is amazing though

Try Screaming Mimi's on Lafayette or Andy's Cheepees on Broadway (and they have a store on St.Marks Pl) also check out Love Saves the Day on 2nd Avenue, they're having a Pee Wee Herman sale!

But really, wander around the East village and you can't walk a block without stumbling in to a vintage store

http://www.laurasnyctales.com/nycguide/thriftshops.html

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=16241&highlight=tokio+7

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=28952&highlight=tokio

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=21967&highlight=beacons+closet

Vintage shit is generally very expensive in NY. (For example, See What Comes Around Goes Around or the above mentioned stores).

I'd say the short list is: Tokio 7, Tokyo Joe, Beacon's Closet (Billyburg), Ina Men?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm considering moving to NY from Australia soon and was just wondering what the place is like for a 24yr old. Is it easy to find work in financial services, whats the fashion like, culture etc.? Any tips are appreciated.:D

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm considering moving to NY from Australia soon and was just wondering what the place is like for a 24yr old. Is it easy to find work in financial services, whats the fashion like, culture etc.? Any tips are appreciated.:D

got a couple of close aussie friends in the city and they said that in oz, the rent is considerably cheap(ER) but everything else is pretty much comparable.i'm a transplant fr chicago but man, i love this city (NYC baby) ! it may not be the most beautiful city in the world but there's nothing like its' PULSE. every single day, literally, i discover new stuff around me, meet new & interesting,diverse people, and it's so ever changing & hard to keep up character & structure . it's great for younger people to move or even just visit to feel its' unique beat/throb. it's multicultural, truly a melting pot and the fashion/style is so individual and so telling/ knowing on where the zeitgeist is going and the opportunities are endless. it's true that if you make it here....

thats kind of a broad topic. fashion and culture in new york, what would your guess be? I dont mean to sound like a dick, but if you really want informative answers you need to be much more precise.

plus please check the search function as there are probably a thousand topics regarding atleast shopping and culture in nyc.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to derail, but I didn't want to create a new thread for this question:

What are some izakayas and yakitori places that NYC sufuers like? Is Yakitori Toto still the standard or are there any other places that might not be as well know but equally enjoyable? I need to get my izakaya action on, but I'd rather not have to trek uptown...thanks.