The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Speaking of the 3003, I found this googling: http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2008/09/flat-head-3003xx-3-months.html

This guy's fit is totally radical. I suspect he may have sized down a bit (he writes that he bought a "small size," so I'm not sure whether he means a small size for him or that his jeans are simply a small size). 

Ah, that's the old blog from horriblyjollyjinx.

He used to post a lot here some years ago.

I was wondering if he was a member. He seems to have a lot of cool stuff on there. I know most people around here go for the slimmer/modern models, but if done right the repro-esque models can look dope. I think there is a misconception that wider leg openings mean baggy jeans. In the photos I posted above I actually think those jeans look slim (or slimming) - not tapered - but slim in a classic way. 

My goal is always to find the meeting point between modern fashion and old-timey styles. I.e. how do I put something together that takes on a classic look without appearing like a costume (all clothes are costumes, yes, but you know what I mean). 

Does anyone know if Flat Head still makes the 3003? I know it's in stock at a few shops on Rakuten (I just ordered a pair of the own wash from 2nd- couldn't find them raw anywhere). The flat head website just lists spring and summer collections which include the pioneer models but that's it. I assume other things are stil in production? Do I assume wrong?

You can't really trust the FH website for anything, it's always out of date.

So there is really no way for someone outside of Japan to verify what's going on? Wish I could have found the unwashed version of the 3003 but I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter since it's the same denim, same jean. 

I don't think FH has ever made an unwashed version of the 3003. With most of FH's stuff, if it's currently in production the big Japanese retailers like 2ND or Vintage Paradise will have some in stock.

Thanks for the tip. The blog I posted was definitely showing an unwashed version. The washed is "3003w" and that guy's tag just said 3003. It was from 2007 though so could be ancient history by now. I wonder what dictates not doing a raw version? Especially for a repro cut; you would think they'd do that raw if anything.

The Japanese market seems to prefer one-washed versions of jeans, regardless of the style of cut.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you've found the model you want because Flat Head's OW is not particularly aggressive compared to other brands. I have their Type II OW and would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between its fabric and the 3001 that I bought raw and then hot-soaked/washed myself.

The Japanese market seems to prefer one-washed versions of jeans, regardless of the style of cut.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you've found the model you want because Flat Head's OW is not particularly aggressive compared to other brands. I have their Type II OW and would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between its fabric and the 3001 that I bought raw and then hot-soaked/washed myself.

Was there much shrinkage or do they get it all out in their "one wash"? I got my usual size as in other Flat Head (except the 3009)- hope it works out!! Edited by Aviv

I doubt there's much shrinkage for one wash stuff, but you could try just in case. Flat heads one-wash is just a wash and dry in a normal washer/dryer, no weird detergents or anything!

A dry eh? That's interesting. Wonder why they do that? Though the photos do look like the jeans have been dried- sort of wrinkly.

For whatever reason I'd guess that the average japanese person doesn't see a dry as a bad thing, so if you want to make sure all the shrink is out and show someone what the fit will be that's the safest thing. If it were me though I'd just hot wash and leave it at that.

It'd be awesome if overseas retailers could maybe wash just the even sizes, and offer them with a small discount when they want to stop selling those jeans.

I didn't get any noticeable further shrinkage when I gave my Type II a 40c wash.

As an aside, the FH garments where I have got more shrinkage after a factory wash have been shirts such as my chambray work-shirt. I suspect they are only given a more gentle rinse though.

Got my 3003W from 2nd today. MAN the waist was tight. I panicked initially but I knew that I should be able to stretch them if I could get them buttoned. Still squeezing me pretty hard but the rest of the fit (rise included) is perfect, so in a few days i should be golden.

A few impressions: the one wash is super soft and drapes very well right away, but still has all the hairiness on raw Flat Head denim. The usual war era details such as painted arcs, green canvas pockets, etc, are present. Overall these are a great fit, I think much better than the 3005. They are pretty close to the LVC 1947 but look more vintage somehow.

Got my 3003W from 2nd today. MAN the waist was tight. I panicked initially but I knew that I should be able to stretch them if I could get them buttoned. Still squeezing me pretty hard but the rest of the fit (rise included) is perfect, so in a few days i should be golden.

A few impressions: the one wash is super soft and drapes very well right away, but still has all the hairiness on raw Flat Head denim. The usual war era details such as painted arcs, green canvas pockets, etc, are present. Overall these are a great fit, I think much better than the 3005. They are pretty close to the LVC 1947 but look more vintage somehow.

Everytime i wash my 3009 the waist tightens back up, the stretch back out is brutal for a day or two. Good luck and stick with it as it will definitely stretch if you need it to 

They look perfect Aviv, I think it was worth the effort to finally arrive at this pair.

Perfect!

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it. I went for a 32 which is TTS and the top button was definitely crazy tight but I figured if it's true that they dry them as part of the one wash process then there would be plenty of room for stretch. Sizing up would ruin the rest of the fit for me, and unlike the 3009s these have no issues with the rise so I'm going to do some squats until the waist feels comfy!