The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I'm seriously debating on buying a pair of F310's from SE on payday. I've looked at the measurements, but can anyone testify as to how the cut is on these compared to 710's? I'm planning on sizing the same as my Sams with the F310's. Good idea, or no?

I have the S710 (31) and 3009 (32), and they're quite different.  The S710 is much more fitted in the hip and thigh, while my 3009s are rather loose in the top thigh, hip, and seat.  The waist measurement is about the same.  They're similar from the knee down, and the rise is about the same but I think the 3009 is a little bit longer in the back. 

If you want a close fit to the S710, an F380 in the same size will be close - unfortunately, F380s are hard to find.  But I think that if you go up a size (or two) with your F310s, you can get a similar fit.  The F310 is a tight straight fit that's supposed to be really slim fitting in the top block, with a straight leg from knee to hem.

I'm seriously debating on buying a pair of F310's from SE on payday. I've looked at the measurements, but can anyone testify as to how the cut is on these compared to 710's? I'm planning on sizing the same as my Sams with the F310's. Good idea, or no?

the f310 are slim in the top block thigh and knee similar to the 710 but are straighter from the knee down, with a bigger leg opening...the 710 is more tapered down from the knee... on sizing it depends what fits you're going for and what fit your sams are; in my experience the samurai shrinks less and stretches more and if you have a slim or tight fit in samurai you may want to size up 1 on the f310

edit, oops didn't see someone with better info had already responded to this ;)

Edited by ironheartfan123

Here's an update on my 3009s, which will be hitting the four-month mark of real wear time this week.  They're not dirty or smelly, but I think it's probably about time to wash them - maybe next weekend.  Colors are pretty much true to life, I took them in the shade on Sunday afternoon.

Per the company's request, I edited out the Japan-only arcs (even though, you know, anyone can see them on the TFH homepage, Rakuten, etc...)

FpjnUPL.jpg

nXz4b8u.jpg

4yIp2aP.jpg

inmwmOa.jpg

nrwhdBs.jpg

9FSwLxL.jpg

PCScqq0.jpg

R2RrhAj.jpg

These jeans are just starting to really come to life.  I think after a wash the color and vertical fading will really develop. 

Amazing. I've got the SE05BSP's and if I'm not mistaken they use the same fabric? In any event mine are in a very similar place to yours at the moment even if the fabric is different - really great vertical fading going on. Awesome! And definitely update post-wash...

@kyle, i would happily size up one in the f310's, but my sams are a 34 and that's as big as the FH's go in that cut :/

@ironheartfan123, no worries, i appreciate the info! i suppose i might have to start looking at a different jean.

EDIT: talked to kiya, who suggested, amongst other things, the SE05BSP. i wasn't crazy about the arcs at first, but the more i look at them they're starting to grow on me.

Edited by Rain Dogs

Rain Dogs, the 3001/F310 is only made up to 34, but the 3002 and SE05BSP are made in bigger sizes.  Those fit pretty similar to the 3001 in the top, but have a small leg opening, so you might consider those ones too.

For some reason, I subconsciously associate certain brands (e.g. Flat Head, RJB, & Iron Heart) with "Americana"... Whereas other denim brands (e.g. PBJ, Momo, & Eternal) give off a "Japanese" vibe.

Am I overthinking this or is their marketing working on me? 

Edited by rosarkar

For some reason, I subconsciously associate certain brands (e.g. Flat Head, RJB, & Iron Heart) with "Americana"... Whereas other denim brands (e.g. PBJ, Momo, & Eternal) give off a "Japanese" vibe.

Am I overthinking this or is their marketing working on me? 

You're not overthinking it.  You see a theme in the type of brands that Self Edge carries versus some other Japanese denim based stores?

Flat Head deliberately evokes vintage Americana, they have a very clearly conceptualized identity that makes sense when you see the garage decked out in vintage signs and memorabilia, the classic cars, the Googie's Cafe diners, and so on.  They're trying to recreate a fifties lifestyle through classic cars and motorcycles, western motifs, vintage sportswear, Hawaiian and rayon shirts, and so on.

I'll be honest, I never really paid much attention to this before I started worked at Flat Head.  I never had much interest in the fifties, and never listened to rockabilly or early rock and roll (I've always been a fan of noisy, chaotic indie rock; a music genre for which there is no particular uniform.)  Guys like Sidney Lo did way more to sell me on the brand through presenting it in a modern/stylish sort of context.

That being said, I've come around to really like the fifties vibe.  There's a certain charm in the way that Japanese interpret vintage Americana and unconsciously put their own unique spin on it.  RJB does this too, but I think a lot of their clothes have a more contemporary Japanese style, as well.

Finally wore my 2111s out to work today.

Not the smartest decision on my part to wear some new 20 oz denim during the middle of Texas summer though.

I'll snap some fit pics at work if I decide to wear them again tomorrow.

Really like the fit, top block is opening up nicely.  Love the fact that the back pockets are fully lined.

Completely forgot I had these. 1005 that I gave to my dad. I couldn't get on with the fit due to tight thigh, wide hem. He got them shortened and wasn't wearing them, so stole them back and got them tapered. Loving them now and being that little bit too short they give me some variation in cut to my other jeans.

yi7w.jpg

uv9h.jpg

0cfx.jpg

Edited by Mr-Bielby

You know this sounds crazy but I'm thinking about picking up a pair of K0011s once payday comes around.

Loving the dark arcs and the 12 oz denim would be a bit more comfortable during the summer.

Broark...my K0011's have Softened up nicely after a few wears and I'm really loving them.

It's been hot here in the uk and the K0011's have been a perfect weight.

This is why I got them initially and its paying off.

You won't be disappointed ;)

Edited by UkeNo

The K0011 has more room through the leg than the 3002/BSP, it's definitely more comfortable in summer.  (Also, I checked and confirmed that the 12 oz. denim is the same as that of the 7002W denim shirt.)

So far I've found that my 3009s are the most comfortable of all the jeans I've worn in summer, the denim doesn't breathe much but the cut keeps it from being too hot.

Kyle, how would you compare the 2111 cut to the K0011? Measurements look somewhat similar.

Wore my 2111s to work today and day two in the wild they feel much more comfortable. For heavyweight denim they're breaking in quite well.

Idk what kind of fit that is but as long as you stay away from a slim cut. Those will kill you in the summer. I love my 3009 b there I hope self edge will eventually carry the 3005 again.

Self Edge Los Angeles is still carrying the 3005, so, whenever the urge strikes.  I love my 3005s...they are only 6 months in and one of the nicest wearing pair of jeans I've ever worn.