NYC apt shopping

zimzima911

i'd avoid a broker as much as possible unless you like payin part of your rent to them. they don't do anything besides show you the apartment and hand you the keys. what's wrong with craigslist? i've used it twice to find some nice places in BK.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're relocated there for a job your company usually pay the broker fee... otherwise, CL is probably your best bet, you can set up a custom search and subscribe to the RSS feed for the results...

hey, i used a broker to find an apt in nyc in august....and thought it was good. Alot of the buildings i was shown around didnt charge broker fees.....i.e. the building pays the broker 4 showing it to u....i actually ended up paying a broker fee (a months rent) which sucked...but in many of the buildings is was shown around u didnt have to. If you want contact deatils to the guy i used PM me and ill hook you up...where u moving from?

Brokers are a part of NYC real estate. You basically have to use them unless you get really lucky. I have a few friends who live in "No Fee" apartments in the East Village (which are all basically run by the same guy) and they are paying for it in the long run. The rents on the "no-fee" places are usually much higher, and every no fee apartment i've been to has been run by a slumlord. 95% of the time, your best bet is to bite the bullet and pay the fee.

okay heres the real scheme;

go out with a broker (city habitats, corcoran, etc) and check out a bunch of apartments but when you leave the building just nake not of the name of the company the owns the building and contact them directly 90% of the time they are happy to rent the apartment without the broker.

To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence

I think it's probably closer to 10% of the time. Apartment owners don't want to deal with all of the bullshit that the brokers are being paid to deal with. From applications, to credit checks, to checking references. Why wouldn't a building owner prefer a broker to do it if the tenant is the one who is going to pay for it anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in NYC looking for a place myself - I have had some pretty slimey experiences with some of the brokers so far, but maybe I'm just unlucky this week. Many of the luxury apartments in the financial district will pay the broker's fee, so it is a bit less hassle. Catch: you have to live in the financial district.