646 replies to this topic

#601 pauker

pauker

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 12 september 08

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

oooh man im excited to be gone for a about a month and a half...

by any means can someone help me out w/ localc hotspots in Singapore and Philippines?

i've been to Philippines a couple of times but does anyone know any good shoe stores who carry Nike accounts and some crazy ass clothing store?

thanks

#602 beautyfake

beautyfake

superbored

• Pip
  • 418 posts
  • joined 12 september 07

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

learn some singlish :)

#603 todesengel

todesengel

superbored

• Pip
  • 920 posts
  • joined 03 august 06
  • style:tribal
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

la 23456789

#604 jf30

jf30

superbored

• Pip
  • 328 posts
  • joined 01 december 06

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:52 AM

I have the opportunity to do a semester abroad and am wondering if anyone has been to or knows anything about the Rotterdam school of management (Erasmus U) or Copenhagen business school.

If you don't know anything about the schools but know the cities, which city would you prefer to live in for 6 months? I don't know anything about these cities.

#605 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

In a nutshell, I'd say Copenhagen in itself would be more fun. But R'dam is 45 minutes from Amsterdam, 1.5 hours from Antwerp, 4 hours from Paris and a very cheap 80-minute flight from London.
In before waywt thread.

#606 jf30

jf30

superbored

• Pip
  • 328 posts
  • joined 01 december 06

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for that, i plan to do a fair bit of travel around europe.

Rotterdam seems like it could be a bit boring being a port city and all, do they have coffee shops (cafe's?) like in Amsterdam??

copenhagen seems a bit out of the way

#607 aak

aak

superbored

• Pip
  • 605 posts
  • joined 13 may 08

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

put it this way, scandinavian women are beautiful

i know where i would go

#608 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for that, i plan to do a fair bit of travel around europe.

Rotterdam seems like it could be a bit boring being a port city and all, do they have coffee shops (cafe's?) like in Amsterdam??

copenhagen seems a bit out of the way

It's not as bad as you think. R'dam does have some good clubs, plenty of quality coffeeshops, nice bars and awesome restaurants. The city may not be as buzzing as A'dam or even Copenhagen are, but there's still plenty to see and do.

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the women. R'dam is renowned for it's multicultural community, resulting in a mix of SE Asian, South American, Carribean and Dutch people. Just search for 'Zomercarnaval' and 'Rotterdam Dance Parade' on Flickr to see what I mean.

Amsterdam has Schiphol which is the main hub, but R'dam's own smaller airport is where many no-frills European carriers are based.
In before waywt thread.

#609 keysonawire

keysonawire

superbored

• Pip
  • 524 posts
  • joined 20 may 07

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

I don't know anything about Rotterdam, but I went to CBS for the Fall of 2006. Copenhagen has a very high standard of living, great nightlife (Barcelona is the only other city with clubs open this late), stunning women, and everyone speaks English. Plus you will meet students from all over Europe studying abroad there.

I wouldn't have gone anywhere else. Best semester of my life. I actually met up with some study abroad friends in Toronto and San Fran this summer.

#610 keysonawire

keysonawire

superbored

• Pip
  • 524 posts
  • joined 20 may 07

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:26 AM

Copenhagen seems a bit out of the way

This isn't true. The metro in CPH is SO convenient/clean it's crazy. From CBS you can take the metro to the airport in 15 minutes and find a cheap flight anywhere. Plus you can take the train over to Sweden. I know some people took trains south to places like Berlin but you might as well fly. Just check Ryanair (I think that's what I used a lot...). Copenhagen is actually a really nice place to get to know Europe from.

I traveled through all of northern Europe and parts of Russia.

Also, CBS is just awesome. They have a bar inside the school and have parties every Tuesday. The Danes drink... alot. Classes are much like anywhere else in Europe-- you meet twice a week for what are usually 2-4 hour classes with breaks in between. If you're the type that like to get to know your profs and participate in class, you're definitely welcome to. I skipped a lot of class to travel. Grades for each class are based almost entirely on a 4-hour exam at the end of the semester. I mostly just crammed before each exam and finished with a B average (I graduated with a 3.6 gpa).

Seriously man I am jealous that you're about to start this. Good luck!

#611 jf30

jf30

superbored

• Pip
  • 328 posts
  • joined 01 december 06

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:07 AM

keys thanks so much for the info. I put in my application this week but i put U of Copenhagen ahead of CBS, hope that wasn't a mistake. Where abouts did you stay, i've heard good things about katherine kollegiet, tietgen kollegiet and the dorms in general

I'll be going in Autumn 09 so it should be interesting.

#612 hapsical

hapsical

semibored

• Pip
  • 203 posts
  • joined 10 october 08

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

==========

Edited by hapsical, 24 July 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#613 S3lf1shly3mpty

S3lf1shly3mpty

semibored

• Pip
  • 115 posts
  • joined 30 september 06

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

I spent last year studying at the University of Copenhagen and I say to go for it. It was one of the best years of my life. You'll meet so many different people since there is a huge international program and like someone else mentioned, everyone speaks English. There's tons of nightlife and shopping, and it's incredibly easy to get around the sitting. Hop on a bike and you can be anywhere in like 20 minutes max. Just be prepared for the ridiculous prices. Everything is crazy expensive over there, but sadly, you get used to it pretty quick.

As far as places to live, Tietgen is amazingly nice, but it's also one of the most expensive kollegiums to live in. It's right next to the Humanities campus so if you'll be taking classes there it's pretty convenient. It's quite a ways from CBS however so keep that in mind, but the Metro does pick up right down the street.

#614 andrewisalsorad

andrewisalsorad

superbored

• Pip
  • 383 posts
  • joined 21 august 06

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

I am living in CPH now [originally from Los Angeles] and just got back today from a trip to Rotterdam/Amsterdam. Both cities have much to offer. In terms of architecture [my focus] both cities are very different. CPH has retained much of its original medievil city but has a nice a collective mix of contempoary buildings in the area. Rotterdam on the other hand was wiped out after WWII and has been completely rebuilt, lots of expiremental design.

I throughly enjoyed my time in the Netherlands and consider it my favorite country I have visited in europe so far. Both are excellent choices, one thing that gets me about CPH is the cost of living is drastically higher, defintely something to consider. Both cities cater extremely well to biking. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of city you're looking for. But even so Amsterdam is a short hop away from Rotterdam. Either decision, I am sure you will enjoy it.

#615 ghostdeini

ghostdeini

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,405 posts
  • joined 07 december 06

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:46 AM

I've suddenly been struck by the urge to go on vacation... I really don't care where I'm going, and I'm pretty open to the idea of those "last minute" all-inclusive deals that open up a couple weeks before you're supposed to leave. I like TravelZoo a lot, but there's got to be other reputable deal sites out there.. any suggestions?

Another thing I was thinking about was instead of a package deal, I'd get cheap airfare to somewhere (right now I'm leaning towards central america/carribean/hawaii) and stay in a cheap-ass hostel or bungalow. traveling on a budget would seem to be in most peoples' interests nowadays, but I have yet to find any threads on it that are not location-specific...
all the hoes jockin, beat steady knockin

#616 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

i think when i went to japan ('05) my friend booked our flights with http://www.airlineconsolidator.com/ round trip was $800, but we also booked 3 months in advance

this winter i'm going to france, the only reason why i didn't book through them was because i wanted a direct flight. are you traveling by yourself?

#617 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:54 AM

What's your budget? Do you just want a relaxing vacation or some real traveling experiences?

#618 ghostdeini

ghostdeini

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,405 posts
  • joined 07 december 06

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

first off, just wanted to say thanks for the quick responses... my budget would be ~$1200 US. although I'm open to going anywhere in the world, I'm leaning towards central america since my money would go further there. I'd also be plenty happy in the caribbean. not really looking for an overly-cerebral travel experience but definitely not the standard hokey tropical vacation.

I don't plan on doing stupid dumb shit like shopping for clothes, but I'm open to the idea of balling out on a nice meal. Airfare would be obtained as cheap as possible and I don't really care where I sleep as long as it isn't pest-ridden. I'd most likely end up traveling by myself, so I'm also looking for good nightlife (I'm 22). any places I should make sure to look into?
all the hoes jockin, beat steady knockin

#619 samsikle

samsikle

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • joined 11 september 05

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

oh yeah check out http://www.studentuniverse.com/ (i'm assuming you're a student) you might also find good deals there.

#620 freevolous

freevolous

bored

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • joined 16 november 08

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

so would a trip to Iceland be good for a solo excursion? has anybody been or heard about what prices are like now that their economy has collapsed, I know its about 130 krona to the dollar but I dont know how much things cost out there.

#621 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

i went to iceland solo back in 2000. it was pretty cool but unless you like going out to bars and clubs by yourself it might be a little lonely. depends what your agenda is. stuff was pretty expensive back then but obviously with the currency collapse things'll be way cheaper for most people. i was trying to make a pre-christmas trip happen with icelandair's specials but couldn't do the dates they needed

#622 yusu2415

yusu2415

bored

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • joined 13 july 08

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hey guys, I searched and there wasn't any around the world thread. (well, around the world of america yer but im talking about around the world EARTH).

So here it goes!

Im planning to start like this ->
Sydney - Honolulu - Los angels - NYC

NYC - Paris

Paris - Berlin

Berlin - Beijing - Shanghai - Japan

Japan - Taipei - Hong Kong - Sydney

any advices? thanks~

#623 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:35 AM

I would give these people a call http://www.statravel.com/

When I went to Asia they hooked my friend and I up hard.

As far as destinations go, Iceland is pretty awesome right now because of the currency crisis. Mexico and Columbia both offer apparently amazing travel experiences for value. Traveling by yourself is expensive, but there are ways to cut costs dramatically.

#624 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

asia would stretch your dollar even more, check out thailand, cambodia, laos, and burma. my first trip was SEA, and I spent maybe $1200 in like 3 months total, maybe less. Granted, I wasn't ballin it up, i was roughing it and hosteling it everynight, but had an amazing time. Where else in the world besides Thailand can you get a fucking bungalow ON the SAND on one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever set eyes on for $5.00 a night. Our place was actually pretty nice too. Plus thai girls are really hot.

if you're on a budget, avoid Europe and avoid fucking hawaii. If you go to EU, go east, fuck the regular path
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#625 Boston.

Boston.

superbored

• Pip
  • 416 posts
  • joined 05 october 08

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

If you seriously want to go to S. America then I would highly reccommend getting an all inclusive package with unlimited drinks and food because despite the much higher value of the $ - the tourism industry down there knows how rich Americans are and willfully exploit it daily - been there done that - and if you want to be in a city the all inclusives will be your best bet for nightlife/hotel/fun.

If you do speak Spanish however, I would highly recommend getting out of the major cities and into the countryside.
....recognition. adoption. replication. done. SExDBxSUFU Contest 1 - 2

#626 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

If you seriously want to go to S. America then I would highly reccommend getting an all inclusive package with unlimited drinks and food because despite the much higher value of the $ - the tourism industry down there knows how rich Americans are and willfully exploit it daily - been there done that - and if you want to be in a city the all inclusives will be your best bet for nightlife/hotel/fun.

If you do speak Spanish however, I would highly recommend getting out of the major cities and into the countryside.

That's some ridiculous advice. Unless you are an idiot, there is no way you'll have a cheaper trip through an all inclusive. Where are you talking in South America exactly? Cancun?

$1200 total including flight?

#627 Cue

Cue

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,076 posts
  • joined 13 may 05

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hey guys, I searched and there wasn't any around the world thread. (well, around the world of america yer but im talking about around the world EARTH).

So here it goes!

Im planning to start like this ->
Sydney - Honolulu - Los angels - NYC

NYC - Paris

Paris - Berlin

Berlin - Beijing - Shanghai - Japan

Japan - Taipei - Hong Kong - Sydney

any advices? thanks~

eurostar to london from paris

thailand over taipei ...

#628 JayPee

JayPee

superbored

• Pip
  • 270 posts
  • joined 30 april 07

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

Croatia (Hvar in particular)
French riviera
Thailand over Taipei is spot on

#629 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

BOSNIA over Croatia. Just my preference though. Pag was a blast though
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#630 gre

gre

semibored

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • joined 31 may 08

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

youre planning to do a world trip with only berlin and paris to be seen in europe? no way.