Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

North Pole

#482 azn8oi

azn8oi

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • joined 14 july 06
  • talents:Architecture .. specifically, skyscrapers.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

It's funny you would suggest Buenos Aires, because it's one of the places that I would to go to as well.

I have this strange desire to go to Buenos Aires, chill for a week or two, then take a plane down to Ushuaia. Ushuaia is basically the city closest to "lands end" and is the southern most city in the world.

From there, you can take a ice-cutting barge down to Antarctica. Why anyone else would go there is beyond me, but for me it's basically the final frontier. Maybe I just want to visit some Visvim FW07 Catalog shit.

Who knows.

yea fuk you, youre probally one of those dum ass wangsters that uses name like xasndudex, crazy asian guy, or in your case azn8oi go fuck off somewhere

#483 azn8oi

azn8oi

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • joined 14 july 06

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Visvim FW07 is from Alaska, though, I think. Who cares? Should be similar. :P

yea fuk you, youre probally one of those dum ass wangsters that uses name like xasndudex, crazy asian guy, or in your case azn8oi go fuck off somewhere

#484 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

banned

• banned
  • Pip
  • 1,188 posts
  • joined 12 june 07
  • biography:stay righteous.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

It's funny you would suggest Buenos Aires, because it's one of the places that I would to go to as well.

I have this strange desire to go to Buenos Aires, chill for a week or two, then take a plane down to Ushuaia. Ushuaia is basically the city closest to "lands end" and is the southern most city in the world.

From there, you can take a ice-cutting barge down to Antarctica. Why anyone else would go there is beyond me, but for me it's basically the final frontier. Maybe I just want to visit some Visvim FW07 Catalog shit.

Who knows.

funny, cuz thats where i would go. i think people go there for two things. the penguins and the Southern Lights

#485 azn8oi

azn8oi

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • joined 14 july 06

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

I'm really going to do it someday, though. Hopefully before 30 porque si no voy, me vaya a olvidar todo lo que aprendí en secundario..

#486 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

That's a pretty complex operation - it reads like the script for Ocean's 14.

Pickpockets are active in every major city in the world. Petty thieves are everywhere where there are tourists. Be smart and always try to blend in if possible.
In before waywt thread.

#487 chingon

chingon

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,468 posts
  • joined 30 september 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

Be smart and always try to blend in if possible.

Good advice, but as much as I know this, I always feel like I stand out, even here in the US. I plan on travelling around europe come next winter (germany, france, sweden, etc) and although all my herritage is based on europeans, it just looks like I speak english.

any tips?

(China was a joke.)

#488 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

as a heads up, do be extra careful with your money etc as there are plenty of pickpockets in Paris. Here's one of the many schemes:

small group (3-4) of well trained pickpockets will linger on the entry/exit ramps at Metro (subway) stations looking for a tourist exiting the Metro (subway) car. Once the targeted tourists are identified and communicated among the gang they will mix in with the group of departing Metro passengers heading for the escalator which provides access to the street level. Two gang members will locate themselves on the escalator step immediately behind the targeted tourists. A third gang member will locate himself several steps lower on the escalator. As the target reaches the halfway point on the escalator ride the third man will begin moving up the escalator by politely tapping people on the shoulder and gently pushing his way pass them until he reaches a position just in front of the targets. At this point he is very near the exit point of the escalator. Just as the escalator is about to deposit him onto the landing the third man, now in position directly in front of the targets, reaches into his pocket and pulls out a handful of coins, but awkwardly drops several onto the landing. Stepping onto the landing he bends over to pick up the coins, just as the target individuals are forced to step off of the moving escalator and bump hard into the gang member who is being very deliberate in picking up his coins. As the escalator continues to deposit people on the landing everyone, including the two pickpockets on the step behind the targets, are thrown violently into each other at which time the pickpockets quickly and without notice remove the wallets from the back pockets of the men in front of them.

With all of the commotion and multiple people being thrown into each other no one is even aware that the wallets have been lifted until it is far too late and the gang is long gone.

my GOD what a post! you're going to scare the living daylights out of everyone who hasn't been abroad!

no need to be paranoid about crime, every city has it. paris is so full of tourists you're unlikely to be the only one on your subway car, anyway . . .

#489 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

Good advice, but as much as I know this, I always feel like I stand out, even here in the US. I plan on travelling around europe come next winter (germany, france, sweden, etc) and although all my herritage is based on europeans, it just looks like I speak english.

any tips?

(China was a joke.)

If you must know, tourists tend to dress warmer, carry around maps and a bag or backpack. They also look up and around (at the buildings) instead of in front when they walk. I see teams of two/three undercover cops walking around here sometimes trying to pose like tourists, and they always wear a small backpack and tie a light (rain) jacket around their waist.

It's too much work to figure out how to blend in all those different places. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just enjoy your time. Just keep your money and passport in a pouch with a string around your neck underneath your clothes if you want to play it safe.
In before waywt thread.

#490 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

good advice. or, leave your passport in the safe at the hotel and carry a copy for identification purposes.

#491 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

good advice. or, leave your passport in the safe at the hotel and carry a copy for identification purposes.

You're right, that's probably better if you're in Europe. But when I travel in third-world countries and/or stay in dodgy ho(s)tels, I prefer to keep it on me.
In before waywt thread.

#492 chingon

chingon

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,468 posts
  • joined 30 september 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Just keep your money and passport in a pouch with a string around your neck underneath your clothes if you want to play it safe.

but how am i supossed to get my passport atari?!

thanks for the response. pretty commsense sense things, but I guess I will always be a tourists because beacuse I look at EVERYTHING. I guess I have this fantasy of being mistaken as french, or european when abroad, it hasn't happened yet.

#493 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

ha ha i often get mistaken for jewish when i'm half brazilian and half mexican (and 0% jewish)

#494 eddyz

eddyz

superbored

• Pip
  • 496 posts
  • joined 18 february 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

thanks for the tip! when i travel to china, asia countries where pick pockets are high, i bascially bring a fake wallet and put in on my ass pocket.. so when they steal it (whcih they do every time) they get a empty wallet that has toilet paper in it.

anyways.. i've done a bit of reading, and now i have 2 places decided, Amsterdam and Germany for sure (wanna visit the BMW factory and nubuierg ring) .. just need more ideas on one more place to go + what to do during my week and a half triP!

#495 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

that sounds more manageable . . . although germany's pretty big you should decide on one or two cities, imo

#496 chingon

chingon

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,468 posts
  • joined 30 september 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

The BMW factory in Munchen is one of the few places I have been in germany. It's pretty cool if your a big european car nerd (which I was at the time). I also heard the re-did the museum? the architecture of the facotry is probably the coolest part, but if you have been in other factories, car or otherwise, then it might not be that exciting.

#497 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'm sorry.

Each to his own, but when You have the length and breadth of Europe with all it's history, culture, people and style to discover and you choose to go visit a car factory I have to admit to wondering what's up.

#498 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

I'm sorry.

To each his own, but when You have the length and breadth of Europe with all its history, culture, people and style to discover and you choose to go visit a car factory I have to admit to wondering what's up.

fixed your English . . .

hey, i don't like cars, either, but i think a visit to the BMW factory sounds pretty unique. i say go for it.

#499 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

fixed your English . . .

Oh yeah right thanks

I don't know whether to laugh at you or be totally insulted.

#500 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

ha ha, i'm just saying, just because you don't think the BMW factory would be cool doesn't mean other people wouldn't. it's his vacation, he gets to spend his time however he wants.

#501 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

his choice of destination is up to him

I didn't need a language lesson.

#502 mojinho

mojinho

superbored

• Pip
  • 722 posts
  • joined 18 january 07

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

actually, you did

#503 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Whatever you say, Wordsworth.

#504 suntorytime

suntorytime

semibored

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • joined 28 july 06

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

i don't care where you go, aslong as you pick up one of those hot european chicks that kiss cheeks when they meet and depart. your social status will quadriplefy to the max!11

#505 jayrock

jayrock

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • joined 02 april 07

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

The BMW Museum is very interesting architecturally, but it is boring as hell as far as exhibits go. The Deutsches Museum was very cool.

My favorite thing about Munich was the English Gardens.

#506 sybaritical

sybaritical

supermonkey

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

I've never seen the BMW factory but I visited the Mazda plant in Hiroshima a while back and it was great fun. I just think if you've only got 12 days there's a lot more worthwhile things to see and do elsewhere for someone who's never experienced Europe before. But like I said. Each to his own.

#507 eddyz

eddyz

superbored

• Pip
  • 496 posts
  • joined 18 february 07

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

thanks, I personally own a BMW, and i've heard the bmw factory is a great tour to go to.

I am currently reading about amsterdam, and I think i have pretty good idea as to what to do. As with Germany, i still do not know where else/what to do besides the BMW factory and nubierg ring..

How about Switerzerland? Any advice on it?

#508 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

I am currently reading about amsterdam, and I think i have pretty good idea as to what to do. As with Germany, i still do not know where else/what to do besides the BMW factory and nubierg ring..

If you can't figure out what to do in the ENTIRE country of Germany besides going to a factory and a racetrack then maybe you should just stay home. Seriously man, buy a Lonelyplanet Europe guide and do some research.

#509 Cue

Cue

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,076 posts
  • joined 13 may 05

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:33 AM

^^ sage advice
seriously, even go to one of those 100 places to see before you die websites and see if anything takes your fancy
it's not as if nothing interesting has happened in Germany in the past 100 years ...

#510 AstroWolf

AstroWolf

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • joined 13 april 07
  • biography:The truth might be that i am not a good person.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

you should go someplace that is super expensive to get to and costs nothing to live at.

Like thailand or nepal, something where you will juice them for all you got comin to ya, and more!
"Yeah, I was in the shit".