eric2019

I've done a lot of traveling in my time, outside of the US .. I've been to:

Hong Kong

Rome

Amsterdam

Prague

London

Barcelona

Out of those cities Amsterdam has been my favorite, with Rome close behind. I need to see Tokyo. I was there for a couple hours on my way to Hong Kong .. what a tease.

I've done a lot of traveling in my time, outside of the US .. I've been to:

Hong Kong

Rome

Amsterdam

Prague

London

Barcelona

Out of those cities Amsterdam has been my favorite, with Rome close behind. I need to see Tokyo. I was there for a couple hours on my way to Hong Kong .. what a tease.

What was it about amsterdam that you really liked?

Greek islands but not the touristy ones. Also, stay away from the cities and just venture out into towns. Don't go to popular beaches, find your own. Do this with a good camera and with good company or alone.

What was it about amsterdam that you really liked?

The museums, the architecture, the food, the women, the shopping, the (generally) nice people.

And if you do not speak the Dutch language, it's not difficult to get around ... as opposed to other cities.

It's also not totally over crowded with tourists like Prague and Rome.

I definitely wouldn't mind living there.

Do as much or as little as you want but spend as much time in Tokyo as you can.

Bangkok is also very special.

Both places are fathomless and it's pointless me telling you what to do and where

to go. You just have to feel your way around but they truly deliver as city

destinations.

agreed bangkok is fantastic.

personally, I don't like going to places strictly for shopping. Kind of kills it for me.

I know this is superfuture; super shopping, super cities, etc. Not much mentioning of more nature-oriented places. Personally I prefer the metropolitan scene much more (Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York) But... has anyone been to Alaska?

I went on a cruise about three years ago to Alaska. The Glaciers are really something you have to see before global warming screws them all up. Usually I am only hyped up for the shopping and food a vacation has to offer. I didn't do any shopping in Alaska, but the food was pretty good. Anything smoked fished tasted pretty damn good.

My family prefers the natural enviroment so I've been on a ton of camping trips, national parks, shit in Oregan and the Northern States... Out of all of them, Alaska had the most amazing sights.

Definitely a place you should consider visiting if you're use to the city life and want a break.

i've been to a lot of places.

2 of my favs: singapore, budapest

singapore: food, shopping, hotels, cleanliness

budapest: women, castle, hotel, architecture, chain link bridge, xmas festival (i was there in december so there was an awesome festival right on the dunabe)

i'm going back to hanoi and bangkok in feb. can't wait!

i am biased, but i would say japan. if you're looking for a modern cityscape then tokyo will satisfy your needs, but if you're looking to just relax, you can always find a nice hot spring somewhere in the countryside and just chill out as well. you can always find some not very well known temples in the countryside as well. in fact this past weekend i was in the countryside to the north of kyoto and found the most beautiful temple. i've seen the famous ones in the area but this seriously put everything else to shame. not only was it not crowded, but being in the countryside, it was actually as tranquil as you would expect a temple to be.

in the future though i'd love to check out thailand, south korea, and okinawa.

one word of advice though, no matter where you happen to go avoid guide books like the plague. the only thing they lead to are places filled with unimaginative tourists. i'd recommend trying to find somebody that's lived in the area you choose to visit and ask them for advice. if you happen to visit kyoto or tokyo feel free to contact me. i can give you a list of some things to do if you'd like.

Cities :

Bangkok (again) - cheap, exotic, rich quirky culture, heaps to do, great food, great shopping, close to islands, temples etc.

Sydney- easy (english speaking, clean,first world), beaches, beautiful scenery, vibrant city life. But expensive and far.

Rio - awesomely beautiful, exotic, beaches, music, rich quirky culture. But not that cheap and far.

My next trip (hopefully): Iran. Safer than you think, dirt dirt cheap (like, cheaper than China!), totally different exotic culture and beautiful cities like Esfahan. See it before its bombed!

I think you can always do europe when you are old- its easy and comfortable to travel there. Try somewhere cheaper and edgier when you young ;)

hanoi is so so. I think it's really boring. saigon reminds me of what bangkok probaby was 10 years ago. Still very new.

well, if it was up to me i would be going to saigon rather than hanoi. but, my job will be taking me to hanoi. i enjoyed it last time i went. the food was great and cheap. i went to this crazy karoake country bar. there was some definate talent in there. some girl started singing "the final countdown". funny stuff.

well, if it was up to me i would be going to saigon rather than hanoi. but, my job will be taking me to hanoi. i enjoyed it last time i went. the food was great and cheap. i went to this crazy karoake country bar. there was some definate talent in there. some girl started singing "the final countdown". funny stuff.

thats cool your work brings you places.

London, just because.

Paris, also just because.

Barcelona for the food, architecture, generally laid back attitudes.

Bangkok for its food, energy, culture, Chatuchak!

Hongkong for its urban landscapes, roasted meats, shopping.

Prague for being a compact historical city.

Scotland. Edinburgh is so great. Isle of Skye is surreal in late spring.

New Zealand.

Like someone said earlier, this is really subjective.

Regardless of where you go, my advice is always to see less places and spend more time in the places you do visit. Europe in two weeks is bullshit! Spain in two weeks is a bit more reasonable.

That said, Tokyo and New York are cities you can go to over and over again and never get bored. Barcelona was very cool too (although my girlfriend swears by Madrid.)

I'd really like to go to London, Paris, Hong Kong and Saigon though.

If I may ask, what kind of job do you have?

Seems interesting.

• 2 months later...

I am planning on doing a loner trip down to Europe this summer. (mid april to early May). I have NEVER been to europe before, and I am really excited in going. The problem is, i have no idea where to go, and what to do.. Basically, i want to visit all the historical site, visit the fashion districts, and try out new things..

i am thinking of these places so far..->> Netherlands, Germany, England, and Swizerland. I am planning on staying in each country for 4 days.. is this enough? and can you guys give me ideas of what to do in each country? thank you very much.

what about France man? Paris, Chateaux de la Loire, Mont Saint Michel...Etc... well i think that staying only 4days per country is not enough and it would be like all the japs patchwork trips spending more time at airports than at the place :). You should choose only a few country then maybe you would enjoy your trip better. If your aim is fashion choose : Belgium UK France maybe Italy... for historical sites: Netherlands France Italy for instance.