I've wanted to get into photography/video for a while now and I'm excited to finally be getting a camera for my birthday!  Does anyone have and recommendations for a good starter camera for both still shots and video? 

Panasonic gh3 or gh4 also a canon of some sort...I find nikon to be the worst at video but the best button layout for photography. Dot even mess with fuji they have horrible video.

Adding to this, just in the case that you were looking for something way cheaper than the gh3 (it's not too apparent from your post), the fuji x10 is a lot of camera for the money

My friend highly recommended the canon rebel T3i for its high quality/cost ratio, but said the lens it comes with is below average. I think I'm going to go with the T3i since its in my price range, and upgrade the lens when I'm a bit more experienced.

T3i would be perfect for you. I'm a Nikon fanboy but my buddy has a T3i and we've shot video with it quite a bit. 1080p, easy to work with, lightweight and good for a beginner. You can get them relatively cheap now too which is a major plus. 

Grab a 50mm 1.8 while you're at it. Cheap as can be and using it manually is good for both video and photos. 

I finally found time to play around with my new camera today!  These are some of my favorites from my first shooting session (warning: amateur photos ahead):

psnvojO.jpg

Rydg2TV.jpg

kbigoS2.jpg

And a few more that I liked under the spoiler:

bUO26FM.jpg

gmmJwMx.jpg

kPazP6P.jpg

PTIIq7X.jpg

WiohO9D.jpg

zP5Qzih.jpg

qJDftPD.jpg

Edited by Schoon

@insuo

amazing! what camera are you using yourself? 

just an old olympus epl-2 with the panasonic 20mm f1.7 prime.

photos are from tumblr, so may be de-compressed.

tumblr_ndcsdtiLK21u0aonfo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ncy01fTY2o1u0aonfo1_r1_1280.jpg

bbLfb8R.jpg

tumblr_ndtg1bz8zE1u0aonfo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndtg1bz8zE1u0aonfo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndp2marqu51u0aonfo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndfkhywX0r1u0aonfo1_r1_1280.jpg

Edited by insuo