Oslo

datsun

Going to Oslo at end of June for 3 nights over a weekend...

Anyone recommend any shops that should be checked out, restaurants, bars and nice (& cheapish) hotels...

Which district is best to stay in?

I'm going with the g/f so it's not really going to be a mad weekend just wander round the city and take in galleries/museums etc with a few shops and drinks/meals thrown in...

Thanks

dude - it's mad mad mad expensive - think twice the price of London - £2 for a bottle of water, £20 for a pizza. The only normal priced food is the hotdogs.

Still, it's a wicked place. Didn't go out on the tiles at all, stayed here: http://cochspensjonat.no/englishindex.html

It's shitty, but still £30 a night, and was the best deal we could find.

The Viking Museum is worth a look, and public transport is actually reasonably priced. Took the train up the hill to the ski jump, was cool, great views of the city.

Ate Minke Whale, seal and cod's tongues in a little old fashioned restuarant, can't remember the name - was recommended by the super camp guy in the tourist info place ...

You'll have a great time, but as I say, pack loads of cash

Quote:

dude - it's mad mad mad expensive - think twice the price of London - £2 for a bottle of water, £20 for a pizza. The only normal priced food is the hotdogs.

Still, it's a wicked place. Didn't go out on the tiles at all, stayed here: http://cochspensjonat.no/englishindex.html

It's shitty, but still £30 a night, and was the best deal we could find.

The Viking Museum is worth a look, and public transport is actually reasonably priced. Took the train up the hill to the ski jump, was cool, great views of the city.

Ate Minke Whale, seal and cod's tongues in a little old fashioned restuarant, can't remember the name - was recommended by the super camp guy in the tourist info place ...

You'll have a great time, but as I say, pack loads of cash

--- Original message by Cue on Apr 3, 2006 07:11 AM

the only normal priced thing is hotdogs! YES, thats the cheapest thing, but at fucking $8 for a bacon wrapped hotdog, thats FAR FROM NORMAL! yeah, oslo is expensive as shit, the customs guy laughed at us for spending our spring break there last year....he knew how expensive it was...we rented a car and drove to bergen, probably the most fun experience of norway...dont think i'll go back, smokes are $12 as are beers....although my Ringles glass is fucking ill...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

As I am from Oslo I can give you som hints, but Oslo isnt much fun compared to the big cities in europe.

Oslo is a very small city. Its not so important where you stay as you can walk trough all of Oslo sentral in 1,5 hours. But have a lookout for Grunerløkka, Majorstua, Frogner, or sentrum, you will be safe in any of these places.

As I wrote, Oslo is very small, you should take the tube to Majorstua and just walk down the main shoppingstreet; "Bogstadveien". There is not many secrets, all the nice shops is located in the commerce area. When bogstadveien/hegdehaugsveien is finished and you have past by the castle, you will enter "Karl Johansgt". It is very commersial and poor. For a more exiting erea, try "Grunerløkka", it is more like Camden i think. You can hang out in the park and eat cheap meals. But not good for shopping.

shops;

Soleservice. Oscars gt 19, A quite nice sneakershop. Majorstua

Tonica Vintage – Schøningsgate. Its located in a hidden street at Majorstua. A nice vintageshop, mostly womens. Majorstua

Tatler. Bogstadveien. 1. A bit more preppy shop on the topfloor. Majorstua

Paleet. Karl Johans gate 37 - 43. a small shoppingcenter. Karl Johan

Steen og strøm. Kongensgate 23. Located near karl johansgt. A bit more international selection of clothes. Probably the best in Norway.

OKIDOKI. Pilestredet 47. A good shop located near Hegdehaugsveien. You shold go there.

Just walk down "bogstadveien" and stop by the shops you like.

Oslo is no good for shopping

Art;

Nasjonalgalleriet. Universitetsgt. 13. All the most famous romantic painters.

Astrup Fearnley. Dronningensgate 4. Contemporary stuff. Damien Hirst etc. And while you you are there, go to Pascal for a french cake or the most delicius burger, fo real!

Fotogalleriet. Møllergaten 34. Norwegian artists.

Munch mueseum. Tøyengata 53. do it

Standard. Hegdehaugsveien.5. Just follow bogstadveien all the way down and take a left when hegdehaugsveien is finished. It might be smart to use the map for this one. Anyway it is probably the best gallery in Oslo even if it is very small.

stenersenmuseet. Munkedamsveien 15. Always something fun there.

Nobel Peace sentre. Located at Aker Brygge

Food;

Pascal. Tollbugata 11. The interior is original from late 1800s. You should go and eat the french burger and eat tasty desserts. one of my favorites sentrum

Curry something (cant remember its name).Located on Markveien at Grunerløkka. Real cheap and tasty Indian food. Order "Sverres Mix" to drink. Grunerløkka

Dovrehallen. Storgata 22 Storgaten. Its a really shabby place wich serves old tradional norwegian food like meatballs etc. Very cheap! Alkoholic clientele sentrum

Ekebergresturanten. Take the trolley to "sjømannskolen". It is not cheap, but you can enjoy a beer at Oslos best view. I totally recomend a beer there. ekeberg

Napoli. A takaway/pizza resturant in torgata. Its located in what is called the kebabstreet. You shold go there for cheap and good food sentrum

Meditarianen. The best shishkebab in Oslo. Its cheap. Located in torgaten, across Napoli. sentrum

Lorry. Hegdehaugsveien, at the bottom across Max Mara. It serves traditinal norwegian food and is very descent without raping your wallet. Majorstua

Habibi takeaway. Storgaten. Palestinian food. try the falafel. its really tasty. sentrum

Blå. Brenneriveien 9. You can sit out by the river and eat in the sunshine. JUST DO IT! sentrum/grunerløkka

Arakataka. Mariboesgt. Really nice resturant at midprice. sentrum

Beach Club. Aker Brygge (Bryggetorget 14). Burgers and sun by the sea. Need I say more? aker brygge

Fyret Mat & Drikke. Youngstorget 6. Nice view and food sentrum

Rust. Hegdehaugsveien 22. Sun and good food. majorstua

When you have tried out these places, Just go to Grunerløkka for eats. It is much cheaper and has a wide selection.

clubbing;

<br